Video Game Market Analysis Thread

I really believe that Startfield Will define the new marketing strategy for Xbox. I suppose more TV spots also.

I thought the same for Halo Infinite, lol. Starfield is Bethesda, don’t forget about it, I doubt they’ll do a minimal marketing campaign to fall in line with Xbox standards, I hope not at least. Maybe Bethesda can teach them marketing and localization is important, Bethesda games are always very well marketed here, not US only.

No, Bethesda has its marketing approach and It Will be enough to see “XBOX Esclusive” in every video or spot for Starfield. But i agree with you: Xbox needs to improve their marketing Strategy: Italy Is a traditional PS country.

1 Like

Yeah, but that won’t be Xbox improving, it will be Bethesda doing their shit and Xbox applying the trademark because they own it. At least is something. XD

The real proof will be the new big XGS games: Fable trilogy was dubbed, I’m really curious to see about the new one, it will be a direct parallel about localization efforts. Then the other games: HB2, Avowed, etc…those won’t be handled by Bethesda marketing (unfortunately).

Yes! Bethesda is much stronger here too. I hope their marketing department will take over the Xbox one in Europe.

2 Likes

What marketing department? You need one in the first place to replace it. XD

1 Like

Maybe because it’s a huge rpg with millions of overall dialogues? An XGS rpg would have had even less dub. XD

One is partially funded, supported and marketed by PlayStation. Guess which one :wink:

2 Likes

Really?

Deathloop has had significant marketing over here, by PlayStation, and that they support more localization and push their games harder outside the US than Xbox is not really a secret is it.

1 Like

Some more numbers.

1 Like

Can’t compare games like BOTW or Sony AAA games to one like Starfield when it comes to localization. An order (or orders) of magnitude more work is associated with doing this in Starfield than these other ganes.

There is also not a greater probability of recovering an investment and making a profit than the games you’re comparing it to. These are some of the most profitable games there are.

1 Like

the dubs for starfield were being worked on well before ms bought bethesda lol

1 Like

UK charts are back!

There seemed to have been a huge dump in December so I am not surprised. But even beating launch month would be impressive considering Xbox would have had months of production leading up to it.

Like I don’t follow them when it’s bad, I do the same when it’s good, only one market is too little to draw a general picture. Anyway it’s obvious considering XGS output of end 2021, it was a decade since Xbox 1st party was as efficient as this.

1 Like

UK charts for 2021.

Nintendo Switch outsold PS5 in 2021, really impressive stuff.

Xbox Series consoles were the third biggest platform group. The Series X variety accounted for 43% of all the Xbox Series consoles sold over the year, a figure that varied wildly over the weeks of 2021. For example, during the third quarter of the year (July - September) Series X was just 24% of the total sales, while in the final quarter (October - December), the X variety outsold the S (GfK figures).

Nice bounce back for the XSX, still shows that when stock is available, XSX still by far the more popular choice.

No Halo Infinite, Ratchet & Clank or Forza Horizon 5 appeared on the top 25 most sold list of the year, some good news for GOTG for being on that list.

Both FIFA games are in the top 5.

Yes it includes digital sales this time.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/matpiscatella/status/1483439302642077701?s=21

USA charts.

Microsoft now owns both of them

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

2 Likes

The Switch has, as usual, once again taken all 30 slots on the top 30 Famitsu sales. This has become the norm and it’s actually quite rare to see a PlayStation game chart anymore.

This is why I firmly believe you’ll not see any of the big JP publishers sell to Sony (or MS) anytime soon (as I am seeing lots of fear of this here).

This actually quite benefits Xbox, as this makes it an extremely hard sell for certain games to go PS timed exclusive, like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, as these franchises are most powerful sales wise on Nintendo. MS simply needs to keep ensuring they get this content at all, as Sony has almost no power in Japan anymore.

1 Like

ironically, i think the ms’s acquisition might drive up how much sony has to pay for third party exclusivity deals with japanese publishers since sony “needs” them more than ever.

1 Like