Toys for Bob (Activision studio) : would you like them to handle the Banjo-Kazooie IP?

It’s simple. You push away Spyro, I start throwing hands. Haha

I understand your point though. New IP would be ideal, but I think in between whatever that would be working on Banjo, Spyro, Crash, etc. would be a good way to respect those franchises.

This 26 year old loves Spyro and I shall start a revolution for Spyro 4!!!:joy:

1 Like

Only if Banjo gets a gun :gun:

1 Like

Fusion Frenzy with Xbox owned mascots would be great as a Mario Party style game. Activision already has Crash racing to add other characters to. Viva Piñata I could see either being something like Animal Crossing or a collectable like Pokemon. Guitar Hero should definitely make a comeback we don’t need a new game to release every few years like they were trying to do when they burned it out. Guitar Hero should be a gaas platform the only thing they should need to add to it are more songs and avatars. Occasionally maybe an expansion for a certain band, but one game to last for a while. I would like Conker to make a return and get stuck in his Xbox in different Xbox game worlds I have even been writing down how the gameplay would work in each world for fun.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between new IP and old IP that kids don’t know of though?

Or I guess we’re talking platformers vs non.

2 Likes

Somebody on this forum said they should make a paper Conker game like paper Mario and I’ve wanted it ever since.

2 Likes

I think new IP is actually something that’s more important on the backend of things. Allowing developers to try new things is both a testing bed for their own success and can also revitalize the developers morale.

I think this is something people have pushed for when it comes to studios like The Coalition, 343i, and such.

On the front/public facing piece, new IP does help expand your brand in different ways, but it’s not the end all be all either (just look at Nintendo).

1 Like

How big are they?

Kinda agree with most of this argument. I think there is a real disconect with what people think are kids games and what they actually play or are interested in.

On the other hand I fall into the old age group of loving Spyro lol.

2 Likes

Can Toys for Bob make Viva Pinata instead

2 Likes

No need to apologise after my double rant :smiley:

We fight over Spyro then :smiley: Somethign unheard of in decades hehehehe.

I mean its not necessarily that it “needs” to be new IP, its just the IP of Crash/Spyro/Banjo and those stupid pigging frogs comes with an expectation. If you are going to use those characters (especially after so long) its going to be as a return to form, a return to the genres that made them great. My kids (and their friends when they visit) don’t really care about mascot platformers, and don’t know/care about the characters. For them to care it would need to be Thunderbirds Paw Patrol, Miraculous, She Ra or something else. If they did like colourful platformers they would be playing Mario anyway.

For me, its less about what is “appropriate” for everyone, versus what would be interesting or engaging for everyone.

I think if people are looking for something nostaligic to go back to those old mascot platformers of old thats fine I guess, plenty of people like it.

I think like you say there is a massive disconnect (not necessarily here and in this conversation, but generally), that people seem to say “we have Crash and Spyro thats the hole in E games sorted”. Not at all thats the “hole” in mascot platformers sorted. (which frankly I don’t think is a hole that desperately needs addressing) :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty much. And I adore VP but if they want to butcher it so you control an avatar in 3rd person with some gathering/crafting/pokemon/Animal crossing elements I’m all for it. I’m not precious about it being the same, MS needs something like AC and VP is the perfect thing, and they have gamepass to leverage, and GaaS experience, and skill at making an online drop in drop out experience.

1 Like

People act like RARE is dead and overlooking that. I think it would be much better if Toys actually made an exclusive Crash game for Xbox.

Idk about Rare is dead but most of that catalogue isnt back for a reason lol.

Rare won’t go back to those games, there’s a reason why other studios are using their IPs…

Toys for Bob and Beenox should produce great E-rated stuff for Xbox.
Spyro in a more expansive world, a new Crash in the twinsanity style, Remaking Banjo, Viva Piñata and new IPs.

Beenox could produce party games with the Xbox characters and such…

They should really grow both of these studios to be masters in the genre.

4 Likes

I agree with this. I know it makes people angry but most of that IP isn’t all that valuable. I’m glad they are bringing Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct back and I’m hopeful for Banjo and Viva Piñata but other than that most of those things should just stay buried.

Id argue most of their catalog isnt dead… more just a passionate team needs to champion the back catalog since rare has stated they want to be a new ip studio.

This is a problem with most companies back catalogs.

If a studio wants to work on it see ki …perfect dark… mechwarrior… shadow run… Spyro …crash … battle toads etc.

Let them… the teams need to want to make a game great…

Imho a franchise is only dead for as long as a team doesnt come along to work on it.

Which wont happen unless people show support for said franchises within and out of the studios.

Long story short i hate the phrase dead for a reason… since well if battletoads can make a comeback… nothing is dead.

2 Likes

I mean sure if a Team is interest in doing it Im sure Microsoft wont say no but I think Rare has moved past them.

I say let them bring back Skylanders disengaged from the toys. The games were great design and had a good cast of characters including Spyro. Recent enough kids would recognize it plus it could hit a similar itch to say lego type games with a growing roster that allow multiple playthrough of worlds.

You have crash racing for their cart racing. So maybe expand them some too increase the E rate games like a fusion frenzy mash up game or some other platformers or a viva game. Hopefully they can expand some to have multiple teams across the few e studios.

1 Like

Oh 100% agree with rare moving past most of their ips. But ill restate just cause the original studio is done doesnt mean a franchise is dead.

Mainly because they sold like crap, not because RARE can’t make good games

Microsoft doesn’t buy entire publishers to have them work on IPs from other developers. I’d much rather have Toys for Bob continue the trajectory they were on before being put on Warzone support which was spearheading the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro series into the future. Just from their amazing work that went into Crash 4, they’re clearly super passionate about the series and you couldn’t ask for a better developer to continue it.

There are so many new opportunities for Toys for Bob and Crash Bandicoot as a first party series that couldn’t of existed on Activision’s arduous development cycle. Crash 4 actually quite a bit cut content that I’m sure would’ve been included had it been developed under different conditions like Psychonauts 2.

2 Likes