Toys for Bob (Activision studio) : would you like them to handle the Banjo-Kazooie IP?

How big are they?

126 I believe, they would have to grow them I imagine. But would definitely be worth it given Phil’s comments about a lack of e rated content for gamepass

2 Likes

Toys for Bob would be a good company to bring back Commander Keen.

I know most people don’t remember that video game, but it easily could become a huge success and with all the different things you could do with that universe, it could become Microsoft’s version of Mario.

3 Likes

I’d prefer Platonic make it with Rare consulting. The studio heads of those two are the literal creators of Banjo and they know it better than basically anyone else in terms of the spirit of the IP I think. Let Toys for Bob (Toys for Phil?) focus on Crash or a new IP imho.

1 Like

I want reboots for every platformer / mascot in the Xbox and Activision catalogs. I don’t care who does them as long as they are good.

9 Likes

4 Likes

I
 this statement is beautiful
 i am awestruck by how good of a take this is

3 Likes

I wonder if we’ll see Crash 4 on Game Pass prior to the deal finalizing.

1 Like

Nah, it’ll be when the deal finalizes. Because it’s about time!

2 Likes

At first I wasn’t sure I wanted a Banjo sequel, but having a team like Toys for Bob behind it would be fantastic as long as it’s something they wanted to do.

I can only imagine what a high budget Banjo game could look like.

Too bad it’ll be like 3-5 years from when the deal closes that we can expect some new games and IPs from these studios.

Some of the games Rare had to abandon over the years are possibilities to come back now.

People keep saying Banjo-Threeie whereas I think Banjo-Kazooi3 would sound better. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

2 Likes

As I keep saying if the idea is to populate gamepass and the game line up with more games for “kids” then absolutely not, neither I nor my kids care a jot about decades old IP based around 3d platformers.

I would like MS to attempt something to rival Animal Crossing or a new IP not make platform games based on a mascot only 30 somethings care about.

Sod Banjo, Crash and Spyro!

7 Likes

I’m 25 :sob:

2 Likes

You terrible young person with functioning organs and eyesight :smiley:

3 Likes

I agree with what you are saying mostly but I have two counter points. I think when they Bring Crash, Spyro and Banjo back they need to bring it back in new, fresh ways that get kids attention and make those IP relevant again. My son Loves Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart not because it’s Mario, he has no idea how long Mario has been around, but because Nintendo focused on fun gameplay and have good accessibility features with those games. I don’t want them to just make cute platformers though. You are right, make an animal crossing competitor, make a kart racer (might get some hate for this but CTR is garbage compared to Mario Kart) make a smash clone, make a party game. Stuff that gets kids and parents invested into these experiences. The other reason I think they need to use these IP is because before one of Xbox’s biggest weaknesses was the lack of nostalgia on its platform. They now have enough properties to trigger nostalgia for pretty much every generation. Personally I think Crash is over rated but if you get mom and dad with some nostalgia that Crash is back in a big way and they introduce it to their kids then you create more fans and more nostalgia. This is basically what Nintendo does.

3 Likes

Does Klobrille work for Xbox in any way? Dude knows how to do good graphics and share info quickly.

When it comes to Toys for Bob. Yeah, Banjo should be a priority.
Here’s how I would personally do it: Banjo Spyro Crash And repeat. 2-3 year cycle, with several teams(maybe in tandeem with Vicarious Visions(but I personally have another plan for them(aside of Tony Hawk))

You have all 3 franchises coming back with more sequels and/or remakes/remasters and you completely cover that target of family/children’s games. If they dont sell 10 millions? Who cares, its not the point. You give some life and colour to gamepass while reviving old IPs that might’ve been dead other wise.

And for the also mentioned Vicarious Visions, considering they’re now some sort of remake studio for Blizzard. I would bring them back as VV and put them to work on Tony Hawk and to revive the Warcraft strategy games. Maybe have them do a new IP or something with a new smaller team.

Yeah, I am being hyperbolic for amusements sake, but I honestly think what Xbox needs more than some nostalgia for 20 year old IP which has been largely ignored in those years is the will and the desire to actually try and craft some excellent “E” content.

Like you say in that time Nintendo has focused on quality gameplay and in later years accessibility rather than just relying on “Mario” as an IP.

My kids love the switch, and like you say they don’t know/care who Mario or Zelda is, thing is I bought them for the girls not because I loved them growing up, I haven’t played any of the original games and played very little of the games until the switch. I don’t like Mario, I don’t like Zelda, I have zero nostalgia for Nintendo IP, but I do know their games are excellently crafted and with hooks perfect for younger gamers. I had never really played Animal Crossing but after watching some videos I knew my daughter would love it.

I think IP and/or parents nostalgia is secondary when it comes to picking some quality games that can be enjoyed as a family.

I would rather MS used some of the hard work Rare put into avatars making something akin to Animal Crossing or Viva Pinata to have a fun, colourful and distinct game that can involve all the things my kids in particular like, dressing up and creativity. If toys for bob can do that, that would be a much better use of their talent and skill than resurrecting Banjo / Crash / Spyro just cos some parents may feel some nostalgia. After all with gamepass there is very little buy in for parents we won’t be dropping 40 quid on something just because it has Thunderbirds , I mean Paw Patrol on it.

They don’t have Nintendos IP they can use, but Nintendo have earned their reputation by thinking of the games first and foremost. Use what they have, Gamepass, excellent online abilities and GaaS experience from things like SoT.

Hell on that note, my kids would ADORE to play SoT on a private server, just us, gadding about and playing dress up, and never have to worry about someone else joining in, spoiling their fun or being a dick on comms. Private SoT servers would be perfect “E” content.

3 Likes

I agree, I think Xbox needs more colorful and whimsical titles to appeal to families. I don’t think they should solely rely on those three IP because they are all pretty much platformers and you need more than 1 genre. They should definitely make an Animal Crossing competitor, Viva Piñata would be great for that, make a your own Mario Kart, your own Smash, your own Mario Party. Bring Guitar Hero back. I think when you look at what they’ve done for the ecosystem they now own the shooter market, rts market, rpg market, an argument could be made for racing especially with the deal they have with EA, so when you look at where they are lacking on their ecosystem that third parties aren’t providing in great quantities it’s what Nintendo and Sony do best. With Sony it’s high budget narrative driven Hollywood style games which we know they have some games of that style in development. Nintendo it’s fun gameplay first that’s fun for any age group to play and I think having these ip and developers can help them start down that path. Then that 300$ Series S isn’t a shooter box or rpg box or exclusive box but the everything box that families gather around to play a 4 player game and then mom or dad plays Halo after the kids go to bed. Something that offers extreme value across all types of people. Sorry I went on for awhile there. Long story short I agree they need more of this and Crash and the gang are the only thing the should do but it’s a start and it’s a start that some people will recognize maybe getting their foot in the door a little faster.

3 Likes

2 Likes