"There Are Games That Are Widely Accepted as Multiplatform that Sony is Locking up for a Little While" - Imran Khan

Potential 3rd party exclusives…

Final Fantasy 16 (very likely)

Street fighter 6

Tekken 8

Silent hills (very likely)

Devil May Cry 5 ultimate edition

I could see something like that. Nothing like Call of Duty or Battlefield like i see some suggesting.

COD or BF would be way way too much, I don’t really tie Sony the shooter genre because Xbox is more of the shooter console and I wouldn’t be shocked if the sales for shooters like BF/COD are rather close to PS4 numbers with less of a user base.

1 Like

I just want Xbox to stay viable. I don’t care for console sales and such I just want my platform of h choice not to be bought out of the market by Sony moneyhatting everywhere. I don’t care for the tone of the reporter talking about this either he is revelling in this sort of bad business BS. COD or a mainstream game like that being exclusive on PS5 would be very bad. All round. I guess though such a move would mean Xbox would be forced into doing something. But I’m just worried about what this al means.

Oi, they better keep their hands off DMC 5 SE. If they do this, I swear…

1 Like

Sony should honestly change their slogan, God knows how they can have for the players when they are actively trying to screw over the other player bases.

I think Microsoft has to fight fire with fire, I would prefer it didn’t have to come to this, but if Sony is buying up all the big third party games as timed exclusives, Xbox isn’t going to sell.

Third parties are usually the biggest sellers etc, then again we don’t know what third parties have been tied up yet, it could just be more of them titles that probably wouldn’t sell to well otherwise (like the Bethesda games that got picked up)

But even still it’s a practice that sucks.

1 Like

The latest BF has a very bad reputation. I can imagine getting an exclusive deal would get them more attention about how they are gonna change for the better and using the “optimize for the ps5” could get a lot of ps5 players excited.

Cod will probably get another 1 years exlucive mode, skins and/or weapons.

BF is not going to be exclusive to PS5 lol EA/BF has always been on Microsoft’s side, Cod will most likely have another 1yr of exclusive crap. I can’t see either game being exclusive on any platform.

Bethesda was on Xbox side as well. Money rules.

Microsoft has to pay a much bigger price to get big timed exclusives and even then moneys not enough. It’s hard to convince a publisher to do a timed exclusive with you when your userbase is much smaller than that of Playstation’s. For example I don’t think Square would make Final Fantasy 16 exclusive to Xbox even if Microsoft paid them all the money in the world. They’d rise souring the hardcore FF fanbase which is primarily on Playstation and skipping over all those customers isn’t worth it. Going with Sony is way less risky.

1 Like

@elenarie please don’t make me buy a PS5 to play your game!

After thinking about it I think Titanfall 3 and Devil May Cry 5 SE will be the exclusive/timed exclusive games.

Because of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo? Let’s be honest they’re not exactly the biggest games that make people go WOW not only that they’re coming to Xbox too. How do we not know that MS has the next Fallout game down exlusive, Elder Scrolls 6 or even Starfield? i’d argue those would be bigger.

I’d argue Bethesda is still in the good books with MS considering a bunch of their games are sitting on GP right now.

I think these make sense. Both associated with multiplatform. I guess COD is a possibility…but then it wouldn’t be a year given its an annual release - say 3 months - but not sure how it would work. IF its Battlefield I riot…

It’s not about being in good books with anyone. If Sony or MS paid a huge sum of money which covered being left out of a Plattform they will probably take it. There is always a risk sale wise a game is underperforming.

It’s just when you said Bethesda was on Xbox side, as if they’re not anymore.

It’s going to be a LOT of money to get a big game deleted off another platform, to the point they won’t be able to do it too much. I do find it interesting that people are more pushing towards this stuff instead of funding brand new studios.

I think we’ll see Sony and Bethesda’s partnership continue past the two already announced timed exclusives.

SweetNicole on ResetEra hinted at something in Outer Space with guns. Obviously this is a very vague description, but I think it could be referring to StarField.

Imran Khan first mentioned that Sony had gone for the sort of titles that Microsoft used to brag about having on their stage. Previous Bethesda RPGs used to always show at Microsoft’s E3 conference.

Excluding Star Wars, EA has three “outer space games with guns,” two of which Microsoft had a heavy involvement with. Obviously Mass Effect is a big one associated with Xbox, as Microsoft was the original publisher. As confirmed by Shinobi602, the trilogy remaster is not a game Sony bought timed exclusivity for. The next Mass Effect game is at least 4-5 years off, and is likely still in prototyping phase. Its certainly not at a point where it would even be in the conversation.

Titanfall is the other EA IP with Microsoft ties. From the sounds of it, a third Titanfall game was scrapped.

Dead Space is the last one I can think of. Cerny did reference it in that Not-GDC PS5 speak, but I doubt that was a hint at anything considering the state of the franchise.

Interestingly, Jeff Grubb speculated that Sony may be mad/acting petty toward EA. I think we can rule out anything from them.

Destiny is the only other big third-party game that fits the description, but that clearly has a partnership with Xbox now.

Let me know if I’m missing anything else.

For now, I’m going stick with Starfield as my guess. Sony doesn’t have any RPG studios, they have a good relationship with Bethesda, its something that typically would be expected to be partnered with Xbox, and it’s likely something that will release within the first two years of the generation.

Maybe it will just be a marketing partnership, maybe it’s just DLC,or maybe it’s a short timed exclusive period (1-3 months). Or maybe it’s not one of the games at all. I think it could be though.

2 Likes

Call of Duty would be a fit for that description. Question with that one is given it’s an annual title what sort of exclusivity period would be possible with it?

I hate these type of deals, and honestly Sony is going overboard with them. Yes, these happened in the past, but we’re looking at about a dozen deals with AAA publishers, some announced some yet to be announced, this year alone.

Remember the outrage from consumers when the Epic Game Store came ahead and moneyhatted games not to launch on Steam? Where is the same reaction now? It’s literally the same game, and in this case you even need to buy another console to have any access to the title at all. And all that people do is pointing their finger at what Microsoft has done in 2008 or with one AAA game, Rise of the Tomb Raider, five years ago. And they’re comparing small indies and AA games that get more financial support in development (!) with large publishers who are making more money than ever. Sony also has these type of deals, like with Kena, and I think everyone can reasonably understand them. But with those big multiplat games, I just wish consumers would unite to condemn this practice instead of going at each other.

2 Likes

Titanfall especially is a game more associated with Xbox and fills a gap in Sonys lineup . So this one really seems likely to me.

What I’m noticing is that when Xbox did these sorts of deals in the 360 period the same people who are saying it’s good business for Sony now said it’s bad business for Xbox and they should just be building their first party. The double standards really annoy me.

1 Like