"There Are Games That Are Widely Accepted as Multiplatform that Sony is Locking up for a Little While" - Imran Khan

I have a hard time understanding why Square would do that especially with all the games we’ve been getting from them recently and this being their biggest franchise.

Unless MS got COD and Sony dropped a mountain of cash at Square to make up for it although I’d consider COD to be a bigger deal.

1 Like

It’s bad but it works sadly. It also worked for MS during the 360 era:

• GTA IV coming to Xbox day one + DLC were timed exclusives
  • Ace Combat 6 being an Xbox 360 exclusive
  • Mass Effect 2 timed exclusive
  • Bioshock timed exclusive
  • Lost Planet timed exclusive
  • COD marketing rights + DLC were timed exclusives
  • Splinter Cell Conviction exclusive

There were other timed exclusives like Oblivion, Eternal Sonata, Metro 2033 or Rainbow Six Vegas but I don’t know if it was on purpose or because it was hard to work on the PS3…

Sony seems to play very aggressive but I don’t think that current MS wants to follow Sony in that strategy (at least not to that extent) so I’m curious to see what will be Phil’s answer (if there is an answer).

1 Like

I don’t like that Sony is doing this - but ultimately, I’d like to see Microsoft continue doing exactly what they’re doing - ignore it, make business deals that ensure that games are made, come to game pass if possible, and don’t hurt gamers on other platforms. If they keep walking the walk - and developers are able to see that they can make good money on both platforms (especially if the Xbox ecosystem becomes larger by adding streaming service to mobile / possibly browser & maybe smart TVs, etc.) maybe this kind of deal will become a thing of the past. Even now, it really seems to only be a handful of companies that are making these deals.

1 Like

I don’t appreciate Sony’s ruse.Like have first party exclusives - fine. But don’t try and force me into buying your inferior hardware by hiding a well regarded third party IP behind a timed exclusivity deal. As an Xbox fan who prefers Final Fantasy above all else, I’m genuinely upset by this. Shame on Sony. Them and Apple can rot.

(they still make the best headphones, cameras, and TVs though)

5 Likes

:keanu:

Well said!

3 Likes

The GTA DLC was funded by MS as a loan. I don’t think they paid a dime for ME 2 or Bioshock to be exclusive and they funded Splinter Cell Conviction too iirc. COD’s DLC timed exclusives were bogus true. But then, they got rightly held accountable online for that too.

The issue is not that timed exclusives exist. It’s that devs building games from day 1 as multiplatform titles, only to have Sony pay them to not release on a competing platform despite the game otherwise being ready to go is illegitimate as a consumer facing tactic. Consumers should be seeing value adds, not reduction of value for a competitor.

If MS did any of the things they could be doing to ‘compete’ in a similar manner, the whole industry would be rightly appalled. Sony is lucky that MS is not playing the same game they are anymore as Phil’s war chest really does exist and he has been using it in recent yrs.

2 Likes

As long as its weeb stuff i’ll be secretly supporting you papa ryan.

But since the world is a cold and unfair place it will be something i actually care.

We’re still due for those mic drops from MS, aren’t we? Or did they mean Phil would drop the mic on one of his many stumbles?

1 Like

This OFF Topic I was Wondering did Sega/RGG Studio confirm Yakuza like Dragon Is timed Exclusive for XSX ? Or Did Console Launch Exclusive was shown during the reveal/Trailer ? . Usually when you Pay for Timed Exclusivity Content/Game you don’t mention the other Platform/Console But here you can clearly see RGG/Sega Advertise the Game For PS5

1 Like

I´m pretty sure Street Fighter VI will be part of this.

I’m not going to buy a console for a bunch of timed exclusives sadly.

2 Likes

Deals like this are bad for the industry and the gamers alike, and I can’t really see myself supporting them. In fact I plan to buy PS5 next year, but if they keep on spending money just to keep games off my platform I may not.

I am hoping the fighting game situation with Xbox , this gen doesn’t repeat itself next gen. Already we aren’t getting Guilty Gear Strive and SFV is getting new content into 2021, and i doubt that game will come to XSX. Be nice if at least a new Killer Instinct were being worked on but that’s not happening either. I’d like to think that Capcom isn’t stupid enough to make a similar deal with SF6 as the did with 5, but they are sadly.

I thought i read that it will actually be out on XSX first out of the 2 next gen versions no idea if it was a buisness deal or if its something else, was really odd to read.

1 Like

I don’t know about the situation but everyone saying MS Money Hatted Next Gen Port :craig: :awkward:

1 Like

I know what I’d rather, I’d rather MS spend the money on new studios/teams or increase the current ones to make games than to spend and waste money on keeping 3rd party content off PS. Though it is getting a bit tiring hear X is exclusive because Sony has paid for something to be removed off all other platforms.

But if it’s anything like COD’s 1 year exclusive game mode I’m ok with that, well I’m not ok as in it’s fucking stupid and shouldn’t happen but if it’s having something like that or a brand new studio/game I know I’d pick the studio or new exclusive game over a stupid game mode for a year.

3 Likes

Luckily for me I don’t care in the slightest about Final Fantasy, I hope they don’t money hat any multiplayer games.

2 Likes

You are jumping to extreme conclusions here, I wonder why. It would hurt Xbox sales but dead?

Nah, I feel this would rather be timed. Still shitty though for the people who care for modern Final Fantasy.

1 Like

Imagine if MS made Cyberpunk 2077 a timed exclusive on Xbox and PC do you think these people cheering for shit like this would be happy.

4 Likes