The Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’? (MS official statement inside)

I’m just glad at the start of this gen the hardware has not handicapped things, the Series X is more powerful, facts are facts any problems can be fixed with more mature tools and software efficiency.

Series X is already doing well, the PS5 crown jewel launch game is a port of a PS3 games that renders at 1440p, can’t imagine the narratives being thrown around if that were the case for the Series X.

1 Like

That is precisely my point on why I’m ignoring all this noise. Where are the articles about the IO speeds not being what was promised? Where are the articles about the concessions DS and MM made to run on PS5 and don’t come close to the UE5 tech demo (we all know that it was a tech demo, but the gaming media ran it as otherwise)? Where are all the articles complaining about missing functionality on the PS5 that shouldn’t be (external storage for PS5 titles, VRR, etc.)? And better yet, where are the articles about Sony’s “confusing” offerings with PSNow, PSPlus, and two near-identical versions of PS5?

I mean that last bit, especially after Nilay’s podcast interview with Phil where he made that point, was insane because we’ve seen buyers be conditioned to know that a different price point comes with different performance outcomes (iPhone SE, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, etc infinitum), which the Series S and X continue. So why are there no articles about why having a digital vs disc edition is confusing and contrarian to the models for which consumers have been conditioned on? Mature gamers deserve better, and I find it odd that so many outlets lament the tribalism of gamers when they were largely responsible for exacerbating that very tribalism in the first place with their clear double-standards, bias, click-bait, and disinformational reporting.

6 Likes

I don’t have the raw technical knowledge you have, but from where I’m standing, popular sentiment is overwhelmingly behind Sony and that’s why perceptions are one-sided. Even putting aside the fact that Microsoft intentionally invited comparisons by touting how powerful their hardware is (and I’m sure it is), first impressions matter a lot when it comes to setting a narrative and this isn’t the best foot forward for the new Xboxes.

I understand intellectually and accept that there are several legitimate reasons for whatever disparity exists in the PS5’s favor. You have to overcome personal and outlet bias when you absorb/create any news, and most people on both sides of the equation just aren’t willing to do that work.

Most people get a PS5 and aren’t really interested in whatever justifications exist, unfortunately, preferring instead to selectively accept and agree with only part of the full picture. This is compounded by the fact that there’s less positive reporting of Xbox (as you noted with the Gears 5 example) and less negative reporting of PlayStation (Hard to say how widespread the database rebuilding issues are, but I have seen very little actual reports about something pretty serious)

“I have a PS5” + “MS made a lot of noise about how their system is stronger” + “Seems about the same or even better in the PS5’s favor for a few examples” = “I’m very cool and sexy for picking the righteous side because clearly the PS5 is better”

This is why I try as often as possible to take the long view. It largely doesn’t matter what differences exist in the first few weeks, or even months and doubly so given the current state of affairs. It’s in the best interest of devs to make sure their games run well, so they’re going to release patches. They’'ll get more used to both sets of tools and deliver the best games they can, overcoming an incredibly difficult hurdle.

Really, I think that this article concretizes what we expected was the case. There’s room for improvement and it’ll come in time. Anybody who is trying to use this as ammunition in console wars, or to put down a public figure for expressing their opinion (as I saw in a very disappointing thread on another forum) isn’t arguing in good faith. They will never admit to the possibility that they are wrong, and it is a waste of energy and mental bandwidth to give them the time of day.

For the people who were expecting the Series X to overwhelmingly outperform the PS5 and are disappointed in their purchase: I feel for you, and I encourage you to be patient. Buyer’s remorse is a very real and painful sentiment, but try not to let it dampen your good time! Enjoy the powerful piece of hardware for what it is and not what you think it ought to do in contrast to a different device. If you can’t make your peace with that, returning the console is also an option! You can always pick up another one later if you feel like it :smile:

6 Likes

So…nothing’s changed.

We (well, most of us) have suspected that SDK/API issues are holding back the console, in its first month after release, after MS waited on RDNA 2, during a global pandemic.

I can see why MS made a statement (to respond to the Verge) but to me, its not a statement they had to make right now. The games performance of every console improves after launch as SDK and APIs improve, and developers get more used to the hardware. Every console. Even the original Xbox One.

What we’ve seen so far, with the hardware having one hand held behind its back, is impressive. Things will only improve from here.

2 Likes

Tbh I’m waiting for big next gen XGS games to judge the HW, Hellblade 2, Forza 8 and Horizon 5, Fable, Avowed, etc. Things that are built specifically on RDNA2, with Unreal Engine 5 or Forza Tech next gen or whatever. That will be the benchmark for me.

And then big 3rd party multiplatform next gen only games in 2022+.

3 Likes

True, but that story won’t get as many clicks. I think some people have been surprised at now good the Velocity Architecture is.

2 Likes

They won’t outright say the dev tools are behind wrt next gen feature implementation. It’s also more complicated since GDK serves two roles: to streamline cross platform development via code sharing on X1/X1X/XSS/X1X/PC/xCloud…and…to surface next gen-specific features to devs for XSX/XSS/PC skus.

The cross platform maturity of GDK seems quite good actually, and given we are in a pandemic and during next gen launch crunch, it is pretty impressive that these titles landed even somewhat decently on X1/X1X/XSS/X1X/PC + PS5.

The RT and SFS features are lagging behind and we knew in June that they would not be fully ready for launch and RT was specifically losing performance due to it.

I made the mistake to read some of the replies, now I feel sad for humanity :crying_cat_face:. Please Asteroid come quick… I’ve seen Spongebob wearing an Xbox beanie… eating… a dog bowl of dog extrement. I… am ready to … die. :(. (And No I’m not exaggerating :(. Good GRIEF! That was an actual reply :frowning: )

3 Likes

Not to mention crashes leading to database rebuilds, coil whine, and no external storage support at launch. I’d rather have SDK issues now compared to any of that nonsense.

2 Likes

This is a great post.

1 Like

lol what a clusterfuck this has been…

Birth is a painful, messy process with many unknowns.

2 Likes

Great post. It’s just tiring how little changes in the media, and Phil’s point about tribalism is generated and perpetuated by these people ad infinium. I’m the type of person that tries to experience all the great games (assuming time permits) and I think the environment for developers, people like Phil, or those in the gaming industry overall if the media would recognize their part in creating that toxicity and rectifying the situation.

3 Likes

this is nothing if things continue to be the same then more media outlets will jump on the gun and fire at MS.

(12) Ayo WTF meme - YouTube

Through our own sourcing, we’ve heard from developers at two separate publishers that Microsoft is working to issue a GDK (game development kit) platform update before the end of the year to address specific bugs that cause performance degradation in certain situations.

9 Likes

Who knew tools get updated

3 Likes

I know right? True sorcery from Team Xbox there! :grinning:

1 Like

X1/X1X/XSS/XSX/PC/xCloud and you forget about X1S

is this GDK ? ok now this is where mess i can imagine sample profile hardware bug would make things uneasy and messy to other hardware profiles. i don’t know what MS is thinking, remove the xbox one platform from GDK it’s not even needed you have great XDX for xbox one.

don’t we know about this ? i believe the GDK will get updated before the end of this year i think it was from brad