The Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’? (MS official statement inside)

For some of you who were worried about the performance issues, we told you it was because of the GDK late arrival and that it will be solved in due time, now we have an official source backing all this up.

Microsoft has been proudly discussing how powerful its Xbox Series X console is for months now. There have been deep dives into the tech inside, promises it’s “the world’s most powerful console,” and even news that the company waited on a specific AMD technology to give it a mysterious edge over the PS5. On paper, the Xbox Series X looks more powerful than the PS5. But in practice early game tests show the PS5 outperforming Microsoft’s console.

“Expect to see a lot of game patches either way. Codemasters is fixing up Dirt 5 , and I understand Ubisoft is working on an Assassin’s Creed Valhalla patch for the Xbox Series X to improve gameplay. Microsoft is also working with developers to resolve issues and has acknowledged the comparison videos in a statement to The Verge .”

We are aware of performance issues in a handful of optimized titles on Xbox Series X|S and are actively working with our partners to identify and resolve the issues to ensure an optimal experience,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge . “As we begin a new console generation, our partners are just now scratching the surface of what next-gen consoles can do and minor bug fixes are expected as they learn how to take full advantage of our new platform. We are eager to continue working with developers to further explore the capability of Xbox Series X|S in the future.

Rest assured all will be resolved in due time, no need to worry anymore. MS is confident. It is a gamble and it will pay in the end. We just need to be patient and let them fix the issues.

"Ultimately, it’s the games that matter and Microsoft’s launch lineup has relied heavily on third-party games that aren’t backing up its performance claims. The Xbox Series X has been great at backward compatibility, accessibility, and accessory support, but Microsoft still needs to deliver more games from its Xbox Game Studios to really show the power of the console."

He has a point, hopefully we’ll see some big things at TGA like a Hellblade 2 trailer, The Initiative and Compulsion Games studios maybe.

4 Likes

Dev Comment

“One developer tells me Microsoft’s switch to the GDK has been troublesome for basic things like user profile switching or gamepad linking.”

1 Like

:worried:

1 Like

Great to officially hear that it’s because of bugs and tools as we had heard. That means that it’s nothing inherently wrong with the hardware, and it can be fixed without intervention from or expense to the consumer, unless I’m much mistaken. A “can” isn’t necessarily a “will”, but it’s better than a “can’t” or a “won’t” :smile:

I’m only interested in how much better the Series consoles perform relative to the One consoles. It doesn’t affect me in the least if such-and-such game performs slightly better on PS5 since I don’t have one. For those who have a PS5 and an XSX, who have gotten multiplatform games on Xbox and found them underperforming, I can see it being a real pain and you have my sympathy. I hope that patches are speedy and comprehensive for everyone’s benefit.

It’s nice to hear that MS are still confident they have the more capable machine, since that’s part of what affected my purchase. Hopefully it’s not just marketing double-talk :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I mean there is nothing official here of any use - nor does the comment from MS confirm anything. Tom’s commentary is more interesting than the quote from MS that basically says nothing.

I’m not entirely sure this is a helpful article for Xbox (though Tom’s job is to report not to be helpful so no criticism there). It just doesn’t really give much away beyond what we already knew re late kits and less refined tools etc…

1 Like

we only got one thing and that is even basic things doesn’t work great on GDK

1 Like

Damn, can we get some good news for once?

1 Like

Thanks Mr Debbie Downer!

1 Like

That’s not particularly interesting because that’s the thing with toolsets - when you change them things that were easier sometimes get harder…for a while till they are refined.

Its exactly the same principle as the OS - Sony changed the OS and look at how many things are buggy or don’t work in comparison to Xbox having their refined OS carry across. The reverse is true with GDK’s. PS5’s have issues with controller disconnects or unresponsive controllers etc…

4 Likes

I’m just gonna stay positive on this and expect things to work out.

4 Likes

Not at all. I just think what you’ve got is a typical console launch and frankly the differences between performance thus far is so small its not worth dwelling on. We know the tools were late but ultimately Xbox just needs to support the 3rd parties to help things get up to speed and refine their tools. Until they can show stuff and prove it, its not worth them talking about it.

Microsoft will not comment about it. Phil Spencer in the interview with Nilay Patel:

I look at shipping a product, shipping a game, as one of the bravest things a team can do. You put your product out there, it gets analyzed and prodded and reviewed. It can’t defend itself. It’s an inanimate object. You can’t go on the internet and defend it. We’ve seen that way too many times. That never works.

Also Phil Spencer on waiting for some specific AMD technology:

No, no, no. We started manufacturing late summer. We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip. We were a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units. We started in late summer. When you do that, then you have to ship them to all the right retailers and distributors. There’s a time lag, even when you start and even when they’re coming off the assembly line, [until they’re] sitting at retail shelves.

3 Likes

It’s disappointing, we were expecting XSX to come out strong right at the start but eh, it is what it is. I’ll start judging when next gen games start coming out in 2021 or 2022. I still firmly believe XSX is WAY more powerful, and it will start showing with big next gen games when devs start using those RDNA2 features.

As for Ubi working on a patch for Valhalla for the gameplay, I hope they mean the resolution, screen tearing and such because there is nothing wrong with the gameplay. Although screen directly DOES affect gameplay experience.

For owners of tv’s with VRR it’s a non issue, but for those without it really sucks.

4 Likes

You made good points I agree. Indeed they need to help 3rd party studios way more. It is just the beginning. But it is good to have some positives vibes around for people who were worried and needed it. (Not my case)

1 Like

The Valhalla patch will be one to tweak the dynamic res profiling to lower it a bit to stop dropping frames and tearing. Think DF confirmed that was likely what would happen.

I think one thing Xbox needs to do better is first impressions. I like their transparency and everything, but a good chunk of the market won’t think twice if they see articles of PS5 actually outperforming XSX, and XSX having “no games”.

It’s a very bad look for Xbox, and it’s hard to work your way back once the first impressions are in.

3 Likes

I think it’s not just tools, there is more work for xbox version they have to devolve for two consoles. also devs will probably prioritize PS5 not all of them but most of them which is something understandable For most sold consoles.

combine all of that then you will get less work time on xbox version.

Wait, you mean they are going to lower the resolution more, or do I misunderstand you? Because I hope not. Tearing is one thing but during gameplay I’ve had zero frame drops. I would hope they improve the dynamic resolution, like PS5.

Thats not how that works.