The Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’? (MS official statement inside)

Tearing is caused by frame drops. That’s literally what is happening. If you dip below 60 you get tearing because game is using adaptive V-Sync. Only fix to stop tearing is to stop the frames dropping. So tweaking the dynamic res a little to reduce GPU load. I mean the game looks super sharp and you won’t even notice the odd frame here or there being slightly lowered in resolution,…

Hmm I see, but I was hoping it would be a full fix, like on par with PS5, but it seems Ubi is not there yet.

I didn’t say xsx won’t get advantage in the future. all i’m saying there is more work for Xbox version and yes this is how it’s work

Nah - if you think about it GDK is creating multiple versions of the game but if devs weren’t able to certify and effectively test their versions till after June on the Xbox side that’s pretty damn tight for optimisation - until then they were just profiling how the Xbox version ran and that’s theoretical…this really does explain why gameplay wasn’t shown on Xbox. Like really does explain it. You couldn’t have built any demo running on Xbox till June - those gameplay demos at E3 usually take 3-6 months time plus to put together. And if you couldn’t start till sometime in June…yeah…

then can you tell me why Valhalla have more screen tearing on all xbox consoles from old gen to next gen or how about XSS don’t have 60FPS mode ?

it’s not just flipping switches and call it a day.

Hang on - you don’t know that the PS5 isn’t just running a more aggressive DRS - and in those instances where Xbox is dropping frames the PS5 is running a slightly lower res…the thing is nobody can do real time res-FPS mapping so with games now using DRS and complex reconstruction the only real measure we’ve got is frames. You or I do not know if they issue is simply Xbox is not quite profiled as well. It may be that those instances where it drops are purely down to it running say 10% higher res and the PS5 being better - or even the DRS on Xbox not kicking in early enough in the frame - that is a problem on PC.

There is a misconception that by measuring the bounds of resolution (even that is not accurate) that you’re defining the resolution the game is running at - but lets say you manage to find 1440p-1700p on Xbox and say 1600p-1700p on PS5 it doesn’t necessarily mean that average res isn’t higher on Xbox - it just means the PS5 lower bound is higher OR that more realistically you haven’t found the lower bound. Because to do res you have to export the still image and count pixels…

The reality is that we simply don’t know if when frames are dropped its down to the res being different or the DRS not kicking in early enough during the frame buffer to keep the frame in time budget…and by changing it you may well simply be making the two versions equivalent.

I just can’t seem to get concerned over any cross-gen game having a few hiccups during a work from home pandemic using immature dev kits with only 5 months or so of work until title release.

I could get concerned over high temperatures on memory modules, firmware pushes to spin the system fan faster, reports of multiple fan versions with different capabilities, and heat dissipation that may discolor the side panels.

One of these is fairly common and understood in a development life cycle. The other is not.

6 Likes

I mean the XSS almost certainly doesn’t have a 60FPS mode because the devs decided they’d need to make too much of a hit to the visual quality to achieve it. And like I say if everything was late they perhaps didn’t have very much time at all to decide whether one was viable.

And the framedrops could simply be something within the GDK that makes the DRS profiling a bit less succesful - or just that they had far less time to properly deal with it. The issues being common across Xbox would suggest this no?

1 Like

Thanks for explaining this. You know your stuff, more than me that’s for sure. :slight_smile:

I appreciate it. It’s clear that with game development nothing is black and white, can be very complex indeed.

imo i think XOX version shouldn’t have screen tearing. Ubi didn’t treat their xbox consumers well…for XSX and XSS understandable tools…etc i mean sure VRR Fix this but there is a lot of peoples who like to play their monitors

i’m not concerned here things will improve in 2021, all i said there is more work to xbox Version.

It’s a question of time if Ubisoft can do it quickly or not. I can totally see them lowering the lowest bound of the DR as a quick and dirty fix. At the end of the day what are you going to notice more: A drop in resolution or screen tearing and a lower frame rate. It would not be ideal but I know what I would prefer.

2 Likes

I would say most games are on par right now with a slight edge going to the PS5 especially with games that have high framerate modes.

So if Xbox can improve upon this that bodes well for the Series X. Good job by Tom as always.

3 Likes

I’m just going to ignore the gaming press-at-large, and most other sources, on this subject for a while. We already knew why some games were underperforming but it’s frustrating to see titles like Gears 5 ignored as clear cases of success, despite being titles running on the old XDK (and not taking full advantage of the Series hardware). It’s also hard not to ignore the same outlets that spent years touting the differences of .5 TFLOPs when the delta here extends to an entire suite of advantages for the Series X: a maximum of 3 TFLOP difference in GPU power (with added RDNA2 hardware), a maximum of 1.8 Ghz CPU (I’m talking base CPU clock, not the minimally achieved boost), and a nearly 120 GB/s RAM bandwidth difference. I’ve seen people tout 20% differences, but that’s beyond reductionist and it’s amazing how many people ignore the fact that the raw hardware advantages the Series X has over PS5; the tools will improve and developers will grapple the abilities of RDNA2, DX12U, and GDK due their ubiquity, but nothing will make up for hardware deficiencies on the other platform.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was an odd piece of report. I mean, it is reporting stuff that we’ve been discussing for more than a week and adds no new pieces of information.

1 Like

Yeah but here’s the thing if all Xbox versions are using the GDK (which is the idea whether that is happening or not I don’t know) and something within an API is preventing dynamic resolution from working quite as quickly as it does on PS5 that might explain the framedrops and tearing - note that the PC version displays DRS switching too late in the frame so you know…putting 2 and 2 together I might be getting 5 but…

Eventually we want Xbox to be on par, but actually beyond PS5. I mean, the damn thing is stronger than the competition and significantly so too.

What I wonder is, once all is fixed and ok, will devs be required to tap into the extra power XSX offers, will it mean significantly extra work for them or will it be easy? Because I truly do wish to see XSX eventually taking the lead, absolutely. We all do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But they need clicks, look at what a nice headline it makes to bait console warriors. Were they expecting anything besides what we already know from MS? The verge is not even a gaming-oriented website, Tom Warren generally covered only MS but they needed to capitalize on the console hype. So, you get people like Nilay doing interviews with Phil. Why wouldn’t Microsoft tout the series X as the most powerful when they most definitely have the most powerful hardware. It’s just a matter of time and if there are true next gen games released with full RDNA 2 features and even then if the Series X is not showing its advantages it would be time to callout Microsoft.

2 Likes

It’s great news MS is aware and working with the devs on it.

Series X has superior hardware in everything except IO speeds so I have no doubt these issues will get squared away.

Where are the articles as to why the PS5 is not loading games and assets twice as fast as the Series X?

Sony spent alot of time hyping their SSD speeds and so far any improvements over the Series X is minimal to non existent.

4 Likes

Ill give it a year, if the seriesX does not get a clear lead in multiplats then cerny has done some really smart engineering. I remember the same was said about the original xbox one, I hope we see a similar improvement .The X1 went from 720p to 900p which is a 20% improvement, if the seriesX sees a 20% improvement and bugs ironed out it would put it more inline with my original predictions, however dynamic resolution will muddy the waters a bit, the seriesX may end up just staying at 1440p less.

I just don’t get it though if that were to be the outcome. The hardware is significantly more powerful, but I guess it’s all up to devs. Perhaps it will continue to prove to be a challenge to fully tap into that power, into the full potential. I hope not though.

I mean I don’t need native 4K no matter what, but if it can handle it and more I want it for sure. 1440p would be a big disappointment to be honest after all the marketing.

1 Like