The Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’? (MS official statement inside)

I didn’t know. Besides, no harm in repeating that again here for those who think the console is doomed after…

Checks notes

…2 weeks and 1 day post release.

6 Likes

Ha, yeah I did forget X1S. Too many to keep count of! My bet is MS had to wait on AMD for tech to get finalized, which delayed their implementation of DX12U features. That was likely a good decision on MS’s part tbh. The alternative woulda been to give up the best hw options in favor of having more stable launch performance. But having better hw is a long term win for them and even here at launch we now are seeing patches implemented to fix some of the perf issues relatively quickly post launch.

2 Likes

Perfect. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know why so many of you had trouble believing it was the GDK being a work in progress.

4 Likes

Like I said it’s a wise gamble. A future proof one. Like in real life we all make investments. It will pay off in the end. A big pay off.

3 Likes

The question is, how long until we really are going to see it pay off. Maybe after a few years, but who knows, could be way sooner too. Some of the stuff like ML and DLSS is truly impressive. I hope to see all that come to fruition.

I don’t expect to see significant payoff until a game is initially designed for it. Cross gen may have wonderful frame and resolution QOL enhancements, but its when last gen is really last gen that I expect to see the real pay off.

Until then, I’m quite content with frame rate increases (same with resolution, but to a much lesser extent) and massive load time reductions for my current and back logged games.

That being said, I hope I’m wrong and MS prove the wait isn’t as long!

3 Likes

I hope so too, because if it’s after like three years for example, that would be a bummer. In that case I can’t help but think MS may have been better off not waiting for RDNA2, letting devs on PC get used to it and come with a mid gen refresh with RDNA2.

But let’s wait and see. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I buy in to this. Mostly because of the non-universal support for the One X enhancements. And I think with MS weight behind RDNA2, we may have a chance of greater adoption across PC (and therefore consoles).

I think we’ll see enough progress that the wait won’t be unbearable. Exhibit 1: Halo; Exhibit 2: Bethesda; Exhibit 3: MS studios already years into their projects.

2 Likes

The advantage of waiting (one of them anyway) is unifying DX12U development across console and PC.

In the future, any developer on PC using the full RDNA 2 menu (SFS, VRS, Mesh Shaders, DXR) can change the profile of the game to target Xbox Series hardware, knowing that all of those features are there as well.

That’s easier development in the long run and it makes it more encouraging for a PC developer to port their game to Xbox (not to mention xCloud).

4 Likes

Midgen refreshes were an exception this gen and I wouldnt expect it to happen again this gen beyond maybe slim models but who knows.

1 Like

@Staffy

Better not rush and wait for the best of the best hardware. I would have done the same. Like in a turn based rpg I would have stacked spells and buffed my attack before casting my chaos fire ball lol.

It was expected to see such results but it is a worthy sacrifice for a little time. When devs will transition and use the full potential of the console you won’t want to go back.

Like what you experienced with 60fps right? Now you love 60fps isn’t it haha :sweat_smile:.

It is the same here. Don’t worry. Hopefully devs will adapt really quick and all will be good soon.

Here is some info by a dev

2 Likes

Yep. Not only is there no sign yet of RDNA2(but that was to be expected) the hardware is being utilized to its full extent yet. It definitely explains the issues the studios so far have had. It’s probably why Bloober was struggling with raytracing in Observer. Hopefully when The Medium releases in January it has it.

The second tweet especially sounds just bad, but I have faith it will improve. I’m sure as hell not gonna click on the tweets, I already know some shit comments are there, lol.

It means for now we didn’t see yet the true RDNA 2 Effects cause devs are not using XSX full power for now it but it is here. They have to adapt to new dev environment. It is new next gen tech. It is pretty normal to see it not coming yet at launch. No worries…The games built for next gen are coming. I even explained that situation to my friends and they perfectly understood even some who shifted from PS to Xbox.

MS just needs to show more games at TGA hopefully

1 Like

Im talking about dynamic resolution like in Valhalla and cod cold war do, where the PS5 may dip to 1440p and the seriesX will be 1600p. I though it was gonna go 2 ways, a small bump like 10% better fps or 100-200p more or the seriesXs extra ram bandwidth would make an even bigger difference. Its to early to tell now, but the longer it takes Microsoft to get the seriesX to an optimum dev environment confidence in the seriesXs on paper superiority will continue to dwindle. Its still somewhat perplexing to me how the PS5 deals with boost clocks, cernys contradiction has still not been explained (2000mhz gpu + 3ghz cpu were overheating with fixed clocks, but the ps5 can run clocks at only a few percent below 2230mhz gpu + 3.5ghz cpu without any overheating problems? If the ps5 can run continuously at 2190mhz and 3.4ghz ehy not just lock them there? It would still be a 10tflop+ machine?

It’s just plain ignorance. No offense intended since I’m including myself in this. I have very little idea of how games are developed. I’m willing to take it on faith from those here who claim to know better, and I’m willing to be patient until things shake out this way, but I also understand the apprehension that’s felt by those who feel like they made a bad investment.

You spend a bunch of money for a new device because you think it’s “the best” in a nebulous sense and it turns out it’s being outperformed? That stings. You hear people say “it’s just a matter of time, it’ll get better” and it can sound like an excuse. It’s easy to dismiss concerns because of the constant barrage of bullshit from console warriors, but please be patient with us dummies :sweat_smile:

Really, I can speak with detachment because I didn’t spend much out of pocket on my XSX and I intend to get a PS5 later. I’ve been around for a while too, so I know that what we see at launch isn’t indicative of the hardware’s real capabilities. If the shoe were on the other foot, I’d probably be letting uncertainty and negativity get to me too. It’s not like life is a barrel of laughs right now, after all!