The Ukraine conflict

This thread was done before an invasion was done. Now war has taken over. I had hoped it wouldnt have happened and just wrote what would happen in a world of sanctions but not of war. Any suggestions on name change?

2 Likes

Russia invades Ukraine (short and simple).

I talked about world balance, then yes, there is always some war around the globe. The issue is this one threatens the general status quo and can be tricky.

THe EU has been at peace yes, it’s a project that was very successful in keeping people talking rather than fighting (Europeans LOVE war, It’s something they did every 10 years on average pre 1945). That said countries outside, like Yugoslavia and the likes? They have not been at peace, sure by now it has been 2 decades maybe, but it can flare up. There is no supranational structure that forces them to talk and be dependent on each other.

Talking is easy, but when you also depend on each other, you can’t fight. NATO was the other move of genius. People often complain about “they don’t spend enough!”. But that is foolish modern Presidential talk. This actually is by design. If you can put army bases there, and be the “protection” the Europeans won’t feel the need as much to build weapons. Which means less weapons to attack each other.

The soldiers you send to these bases are mostly on a glorified vacation, sure it’s work, but they get a nice trip to Europe out of it. Far better than having to go storm beaches and AGAIN try to fix some idiotic leaders that wish to fight each other. US presidents back then knew this. It was intentional.

NATO and the EU (Also the pre EU organizations) were there for the USA to not have to deal with European bullshit every 10 years :wink: . Better form them into a “Federal Super State” together with military alliances to us, Than to deal with the crap of all these little fiefdoms and their rulers :wink: .

1 Like

This is fucking heartbreaking.

6 Likes

I didn’t even know that Ukraine was not a member of NATO

So they’re really on their own :frowning_face:

Yeah, I would honestly just forget about the game for the time being. There are far more important things they are dealing with than getting a game to you.

We wouldn’t even be having this conversation if Ukraine was already part of NATO.

9 Likes

Point taken

…hey can’t your King of Kent do anything?

NATO is a co-dipendent alliance, both EU and US guiltily sleeped and overestimated their economic threats as deterrent.

So…no to the King Kent then

The other day I read comments here and there that China absolutely would be keeping a close eye on what Russia is doing and then maybe make a move of their own against Taiwan. And according to a friend of mine there have been chattering today about an attack, and jets have been signaled above Taiwan. I just hope this is not true because Jesus f Christ man, do we not learn?

In ways humanity is just goddamned rotten, fuck!!! Why can’t we all just act normal? Seriously now.

There have been violations of Taiwan airspace by chinese jets today, yes. But this is not that alarming because this shit happens so often.

Well, what is happening right now it was pretty much expected anyway. It happens on a regular basis for a reason.

That’s for sure. China won’t support or oppose Russia either. Not their style.

But they take the notes how the world reacts to Ukraine invasion. Keep in mind that their potentially will be even less pushback against China simply because it has too much ties in the world economy.

That’s a relief.

I did read that after Biden announced these sanctions that China is providing wheat for Russia. And like you said, they didn’t talk negative about the invasion.

I can give Putin a stern ticking off if that will help.

Please do

This thing is getting so serious, Boris Johnson almost combed his hair today

1 Like

He is probably sweating about his party’s Russian money going up in the air.

They’ve recently sent ships to near Australia, then pointed lasers at some of our jet pilots… and apparently we’re provoking for asking to investigate the recent pandemic and the cause. I don’t like the way the world is going.

1 Like

It was inevitable. When you have multi-polar world, it is bound to happen.

Essentially we are returning back to pre WW2 era.

1 Like

You’d think after what we just went through as a global issue in the last 2 years could maybe bring us together.