The Ukraine conflict

I know a lot of attention is on Russia for obvious reasons but the new Cold War is currently shaping up around America and its allies and China.

1 Like

No, it would actually do an opposite.

This cold war is only one of the wars happening (gonna happen) around. Modern world is more multi-faceted than Soviets vs West era. It is literally pre WW2 era, imperial age.

This is why I’m scared being in the middle of that being in Australia, are countries going to help us if we get invaded for our natural resources and land, seeing as we’re so far away from anything and are we worth the loss of other’s to help defend.

Anyway this is probably getting offtopic and we should focus on the poor people who are getting invaded as we speak, it is such a shit thing to sit here and watch from over here and I feel helpless in being able to do anything.

Yeah, anyway Putin is making a big bet, even China, which has a much bigger economy (while a weaker army) than Russia, has never challenged directly NATO, it was decades since a similar level of escalation.

Putin is not challenging NATO because Ukraine is not in NATO. China has no reason to challenge NATO because they are not in Europe.

China will have its own set of challenges in South Asia.

These sanctions just aren’t enough, the EU needs to be way more serious, Swift should have already been pulled. Trade with Russia should have stopped.

1 Like

The whole point is being sure of never seeing Ukraine entering NATO and UE. XD

They both agree about this, because gas is already a tough spot bot in US and EU. I fear Putin won’t be stopped until Ukraine becomes a puppet state.

True, but it has nothing do with challenging NATO

Hmm? It’s the focal point, NATO extended too much in eastern EU in the ex USSR satellite states in Putin eyes.

What I am talking about is that challenging NATO implies attacking the country that is a part of NATO. Ukraine is not.

Sanctions could be seen as weak now, but what matters the most is that western countries are united and want to respond to Putin’s menace carefully and peacefully. Western countries are not the agressor and that’s what will be written in history books. It’s a war of his choice and it won’t be glossed over as he thinks it will. He’s now gone full dictator and that’s what will remain as his legacy even in russian’s books, I’m pretty sure about it.

I read today that one russian diplomat was in shock and ashamed of himself. Many people manifested at their own risk across Russia saying “no to war”. And what’s sad it that these people will suffer the most from the decisions that have been made these past few days.

The war in Ukraine is really painful to watch as US and EU countries can’t do much more than they already are, because the other option would probably mean WW3. With almost all its forces around Ukraine, russian army could be wiped out quite easily with a few carefully planned strikes on their FOB, but they have jets with warheads based in Syria (said to be for naval drills) so they could retaliate on any EU capitals which would be horrible.

I think it’s a matter of time now. Putin’s days are counted. He’s using all the ressources and war efforts in gaining what he won’t ever get, it’s the legacy of a true savior and reuniting the great russian empire, but he’ll most probably just destroy russian economy until it hits rock bottom and get all the hate from his own people just like this other german dude with a mustache.

It’s time to make the tough decision and cut off from Russian resources. Accelerate the power grid and power gwneration build out with the national guard.

I’m so dumb that I placed GSC Game world in Russia… They are in Kiev just like 4A Games.

It’s confusing because Chernobyl is associated with Russia since the incident, when it was the USSR. I should have been more careful.

So disregard my comment about boycotting the the game.

Man, Ukraine have some amazing developpers. They are truly passionate people. And they make games about Russia and its people…

It makes me really emotional right now… Go fuck yourself Putin.

3 Likes

What doesn’t make any sense is what is Russia’s actual strategy? They seem hell bent on overtaking Kyiv, but, then what? Do they think the country is magically going to fold if they take the Capitol? By all accounts Ukrainians are a VERY proud people. They are more likely to fight HARDER than kowtow to Russia.

Russia probably wants to force a very Pro Russian peace agreement that ensures Ukraine remains in their orbit.

1 Like

Putin said in his speech he doesn’t see Ukraine as a (sovereign) state. So the conclusion would be it becoming part of Russia after the invasion. And then oppress any freedom movement. Sounds insane but here we are.

1 Like

Not quite, EU, UK, USA and NATO made their cyberwarfare capabilities available to them. They also help in… more sneaky manners. Awacs in the sky will report to the Ukraine or Russian Troop movement, this is a really great tool. There also is a Dutch Frigate in the region, those little boats are amazing. They have a Radar system well beyond anything else on the continent. One that was software upgraded to be able to intercept ICBMs, in a dome that is up to 2000km. Yes let that sink in, a 2000km range of radar :P. That little boat is probably reporting all aircraft and chopper movements to the Ukrainian government. It’s the only country with Anti ICBM tech like that in Europe. So they know what’s coming and from what vector. They can then set up a kill zone, with personal AA equipment, to take out quite a few before they can even land and deploy. And yes, these are little boats, for the Dutch it might be their “Flag ship”, but by American standards it’s tiny for what it can do.

Sorry I like naval things love reading up on it.

Anyhow, NATO, EU, US, UK, probably are also sharing other intel like from satellites, which an monitor land movements very effective. Heck even the EU’s “weather satellites/research satellites” can probably give a lot of info.

So providing intel is also a tool NATO does to support the Ukraine, a very effective one. It means that the Ukrainian Army command pretty much can see the Russians coming well in advance.

https://www.satcen.europa.eu/

I’m pretty sure the USA has even better stuff up there.

This is a huge boon, as if you know where they are coming from in an almost real time fashion? You can fight them much more effectively.

In case of EU? It’s not even military only. They can claim it’s a “scientific satellite”, it just also happens to be able to make pictures of troop movements :wink: .

All the news sources in my country are basically reporting that Putin is pissed on possibility of Ukraine joining some NATO alliance

Don’t know how much truth in that is🤷

Friend of mine sent me screenshot of an article in Dutch…

Basically what it says is that Sweden and Finland are in Russia’s crosshairs now too. Why?

A spokesperson of the Russian ministry of foreign affairs says that if Finland and Sweden want to be members of NATO that there will be unfortunate consequences. Both countries today are present at a NATO meeting thing. Hard to translate for me.

You are bit late catching up lol.

That’s partially the reason yes, because Putin sees NATO as a threat even though it has never shown any willingness to attack the USSR or Russia, and Russia is itself a nuclear power so who is going to attack it? So Putin is just being a twat, because he cannot bully his Western neighbours. This also does not take into account that Ukraine is probably never going to be able to join NATO because some member states do have reservations, but also because it is in a conflict with Russian backed separatists.

But it goes beyond that, and he sees countries that were part of Russia’s sphere of influence either slipped away or slipping away in the case of Ukraine. This all ties into the fact that Putin sees Russia only becoming less relevant on the world stage as countries like China and India rise in prominence and Russia’s position worsens due to shrinking demographics and the world turning away from fossil fuels. So this is a desperate throw of a dice from a desperate man trying to arrest Russia’s perceived falling.

4 Likes