The Ukraine conflict

I cannot see Ukraine being a member of NATO anytime soon due to the war with Russia. But the current war has probably made countries like France and Germany more receptive, as there is clearly no point trying to appease Russia.

On to the war and Russia has pulled out of Lyman which is amusing because from their point of view they have just ceded Russian territory to Ukraine now. There is a real chance that the northern theatre might totally collapse before winter arrives.

2 Likes

NATO membership happens after the war, sure. But maybe NATO can put Ukraine under nuclear protection as long as they check the application (Ukraine has some guarantees from China but who knows what that means in reality). This could diffuse the situation somewhat.

1 Like

RIP.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Fucking hell man.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve lost a few distant coworkers to natural causes or health issues over the years, but this would be so difficult. Same for the team on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if they lost someone.

1 Like

This doesnā€™t give me a good feeling, not gonna lie. I mean Putin is Putin, he could be ā€œall talkā€ but these officials?

At tje same time, if they were to do this they fuck themselves over big-time too, why would they want that?

The fact Russia even has to wave the nuke card at Ukraine shows how utterly hollow the Russian military is when you stop looking at charts.

2 Likes

Youā€™re not afraid of it seriously escalating like that though? I mean, to even have the US president tweeting about itā€¦

Not particularly.

In other news I see Ukraine has gifted Putin a very nice birthday present by blasting the Crimea bridge. It is another sign that Russia is well and truly on the backfoot and Ukraineā€™s growing haste to make significant gains in the South.

The operation also might be some Bond level of operation planning as it might not be a missle strike.

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess I should not worry either, thereā€™s no point doing so. Maybe its nothing but scare tactics because if they were to resort to this it wonā€™t mean anything good for Russia either.

1 Like

Itā€™s okay to be worried about nukes, itā€™s just that we need to accept that we canā€™t do anything about it.

Also Putin may already have made his decision or not regarding nukes. Heā€™s rather unpredictable so weā€™ll see. But thereā€™s no point thinking about every scenarii as we wonā€™t know until something is launched anyway.

If he do it though, Iā€™m sure heā€™s going to regret it. Russia will be done. Like really done. And Iā€™m pretty sure Putin still has some brain cells working.

I honestly canā€™t imagine what it must be like for people in Ukraine, although I do think a lot of them have moved to other countries, truly hope so for them. If anything and Putin IS crazy enough after all, heā€™d start there with Nukes.

I heard some expert about the war in Ukraine saying that thereā€™s some kind of ā€œbarrierā€ about the idea of nukes and using them that you either crossed or will cross at some point.

Most ukrainians already crossed it as they aknowledged that itā€™s not the worse that can happen to them and they are already going through hell.

Putin and co are playing the only card that they know work in some ways in the west, itā€™s the fear mongering. Everything else failed.

Putin is at the end of the road so he could nuke Kyiv and Ukraine will still stand. Russia has already destroyed so much that it wonā€™t change anything anyway. Some part of the country are already a wastelandā€¦

Damn.

And as for Bidenā€™s warning? Did he tweet that out because thereā€™s a chance it will escalate further, like Putin going after other countries too? Because clearly Biden is warning American people in that tweet. Itā€™s probably very hard, more like impossible to tell what could happen. But him saying the risk of nuclear ā€œarmageddonā€ is at its highest sounds scary. Letā€™s say Putin does go for Nukes in Ukraine, whatā€™s next? What and who does Biden mean? Does he mean the USA will do something too, China?

And wonā€™t nuclear weapons cause for radiation and sickness? This wouldnā€™t be the worst for them? It sounds like a nightmare, on top of what has already happened this year.

2 Likes

The thing is we donā€™t know and weā€™ll know only after it has happened. So why worry now ?

No one wants to use nukes. If you use nukes, everything can happen to you for using it. Russia is already aware of what could happen : black sea fleet destroyed, all RU bases attacked across Ukraine and Crimea. Only a mad man would do that.

Putin is not a madman, he only acts like it.

1 Like

Yeah even a limited response from NATO, like you describe, would completely destroy Russian forces in and around Ukraine. It would be the end of the war, of Putin and of Russia as a functioning country. Not even China, India, Iran or any of the other collaborators would want anything to do with Russia after that. They would truly be a pariah in the world on the level of North Korea, probably even more so.

If they launch strategic nukes? Russia will be glassed, literally. Nothing will remain.

2 Likes

To add to that, my speculation is that they canā€™t even maintain their nuclear arsenal.

If corruption is this bad in the regular army, I guess itā€™s easy to imagine how bad it is with weapons that are just for shows and remains hidden somewhere in a base most of the time.

Even tactical nuke could be tricky to use when the army is in the field. If itā€™s supposed to help you gain ground, you donā€™t want to hit too close of the frontline, but if itā€™s too far, it doesnā€™t help eitherā€¦and you missed your one chance.

So yeah, we should remain calm while Ukraine kick Russiaā€™s ass.

Yes, the use of tactical nuclear weapons requires an army trained in operating under those circumstances on the battlefield. Itā€™s a breakthrough weapon designed to be used with armored spearheads taking advantage of it. I doubt the current Russian forces can manouver like that, with or without NBC training.

1 Like