The Ukraine conflict

They’re not threatening to launch, they’re threatening to deploy. But as the article points out, what they’re threatening with appears to already have happened, so it’s all a bit weird.

1 Like

I really hope that’s all it is, yeah.

I guess I shouldn’t even worry, with these things…if they do happen, they happen, there’s not a damn thing we can do about it and I wonder if we’d even notice it. Probably depending on where these things would hit it would be instantly over for us, right? But again, no point in dwelling on it too much or worrying, so I won’t.

welp, the russian warship has gone and fucked itself

3 Likes

FQQr3euXoAU7pZM

I read the info coming from a FB post yesterday evening and thought it was crazy. On twitter, many were skeptical. It should have been impossible, but yet they did sink it.

I guess that’s called retaliation.

3 Likes

Eh, Kaliningrad has been a threat for 80 years so nothing changed. They have probably had them there for a long time, it’s just the usual Kremlin vomit. De-classified Soviet battle plans from the Cold War revealed that those assholes was going to nuke us anyway despite our neutrality if the war got hot, so fuck them.

Joining NATO would however lessen the threat, the Russians really outplayed themselves in all this.

1 Like

Haha, beutiful.

Having your flagship sunk like that is embarassing, and poetic.

1 Like

Same with Austria as well, another staunchly neutral country during the Cold War. Russia doesn’t give a fuck about whether you are neutral if you are in their way for their strategic goals.

They have overplayed their hand and now have to face the geopolitical consequences. If they don’t like it, then they shouldn’t have caused the biggest war in Europe since WW2.

3 Likes

Do swidanja, Moskwa.

And even on the same day as the Titanic disaster.

Its just propaganda and posturing. And very stupid propaganda, because you have no further escalation if you already threatend with nuclear strikes.

A few of the replies here is making me wonder if there’s perhaps some confusion about what was threatened. The threat was “deploy” not “launch.” Meaning, they’re talking about placing nuclear missiles at a launch site “in the heart of Europe.”

And no one wants nuclear launch sites that nearby, and so they’re hoping the threat of something like that would be enough for Sweden and Finland to cool it with their NATO aspirations. The prospect of nukes next door certainly got the U.S. in a tissy in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis.

There are already nuclear launch sites nearby, in Russia and Kaliningrad :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Plus in the age of hypersonic missles, where you base your missles is increasingly becoming not as important.

2 Likes

Exactly. Which is why this threat is a bit weird.

Distance still gives time for countermeasures to prayfully be effective

Kaliningrad will be surrounded by NATO, I would think creating an AA wall around it is not impossible.

With the Russian ship sinking, one can only hope this leads to Vladamir Putin being forced out of office soon. He is a monster and this is a great booster of hope for the Ukrainians.

I also hope Russia will be completely forced out of the U.N., I know the other day, the U.N. took Russia off a board, but there needs to be more sanctions against the Russian government. I hope with the Russian ship sinking this is a turning point in the war and who knows how accurate reports are, but if the American CIA and British SAS are fighting on the ground too, if it is not only is possible to retake all the land. Then possibly take some of Russia’s land too?

Shocking.

We may all have our faults, differences of opinon and arguments amongst ourselves here in the free world but this is what it’s all about. Once again the USA steps up and shows that when it matters, we are united against tyrrany. As a European I’m so very glad to see the America we all thought we had lost in 2016 back again.

1 Like

It’s a massive package to say the least and the military aid component is more than the vast majority of countries’ annual defence spending. The $13 billion of humanitarian aid will be a lot of help as well.

This also comes against the backdrop of Putin threatening the West to stop supporting Ukraine, instead Biden has trippled down and Russia’s task of winning this war is only getting harder.

Indeed, but this also means so much more in that it makes everything easier, wider and faster outside the most recent package as well. Also affects other countries outside Ukraine, which can receive help when/if needed. This is huge af.