The Ukraine conflict

Hey, it’s okay. No problem in your post, it’s just that I’m a bit on edge regarding the subject and misunderstandings happen. So now I understand where you coming from.

I’ve seen some videos about russians supporting the war and saying some insane stuff about Ukraine and ukrainians, but I still think that there’s a majority of russians that keeps quiet or put its head in the sand waiting for the war to be over or Putin is dead. I’m not even sure about the polls (80% supporting Putin and the war) that could be easily manipulated.

I’ve seen an interview of a moscovite middle-class couple, both of them managing to not say anything bad about the war or Putin. They only said that they were not against the war but not for the war either because of the casualties. They were talking as if the police where waiting outside their appartment. It was weird. It’s pretty clear that we won’t know for sure what russians are thinking. It’s like a crushing cover of varnish put on top of their opinions, so they’re trying to survive like that, repeating the propaganda or trying to remain neutral, so they are not arrested.

I want to believe that there’s still a lot of russians that just lives its daily life and don’t want troubles with anyone, don’t hate the ukrainians, don’t want to be at war with them, but the totalitarian state has been slowly gaining more and more power over them behind the scene and now, there seem to be no way out of it.

Still, it’s hard not to be angry about the russians repeating Putin’s propaganda.

1 Like

Yes, it’s true but also russians are sending there their best troops. The most of loses on the russian side especially at the beginning of the war were conscripts not Expert soldiers. Paratroopers, special forces and more have took the hostomel Airport, kherson City and many other territories. If Russians will reach their goal to defeat/capture the best soldiers of Ukraine army in the Donbass, they’ll win. The next weeks Will be crucial for the both parts of conflict. Hope to see the end of War before that because there Will be many other victims.

They may take Donbas, but they will have to hold it. That is if Ukrainians let them. Zelensky will not let that happen, not after Bucha. Russians will have to fight for that region and they are not ready.

Have you seen how russians fight ? It’s crazy how dumb they are. Today, I saw a video of an ukrainian tank attacking a whole column by himself. Russians didn’t even know where to shoot, they have no awareness, it’s crazy how unprepared they are. We’ve already seen their best troops in action and they got killed just like the others.

At this point they will have to level every city, every village, something they are already doing, and that’s probably the only thing they are good at frankly, but it doesn’t help them, to the contrary.

And even if they capture half of Ukraine, you don’t hold a country or even a region with the military alone. That’s why they are so out of their minds in the Kremlin. Ukrainians are so mad at russians, they will never bow their head to Russia, they will never accept anything from them. They suffered too much throughout their history. They had relatively peaceful lives until Russia invaded them.

3 Likes

These Russian special paratrooper forces did jack shit. They didn’t capture their objectives, they got their commanders sniped and lost 30-50% of their forces. What are you talking about?

There are some very strange both-sides arguments coming from a couple of users that sounds very much like Russian propaganda. The facts of the invasion are undeniable: Russian invaded and started a war with Ukraine without provocation, the former has verifiably committed war crimes, and Putin is essentially using the Nazi SS playbook to spread propaganda amongst the alt-right.

No one here wants anyone to die, and we all want the war to end (with dire consequences for Russia’s actions), but the moment you start using Putin’s talking points and regurgitating his propaganda, expect to see post deletions and further moderation. You’ve been warned.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention. I can see where it looks like I was taking the side of Russia, that definitely wasn’t what I planned to do. I have cousins in both countries, so it is difficult to have to imagine what either side is dealing with and being forced to do.

My 92 year old grandma is devastated to see what is happening to her homeland and it has been difficult for her to see the devastation that has happened to this beautiful country and it’s people.

I have been talking a lot with family members and you forget that not everyone knows that you know people that went to Hungry to meet family members, help them with what little they could bring when they were forced to flee Ukraine.

Then you have Russian cousins too, you know not everyone is for the war, so you don’t want them to die, either.

So that is why I say, I want the war to end and don’t want the loss of life on either side. Sadly and disappointingly I see this war not ending soon.

It just makes me sick and I truly hope Vladimir Putin faces trial, then pays for the evil he brought on the world.

1 Like

It really is not like switching your energy provider. Countries like Germany need to arrange alternative sources and how to get the gas to their respective countries. It is the same reason why Russia has not cut the gas off because they can’t really send it elsewhere.

It’s one of the biggest myths peddled around that Russia has not yet sent their best to Ukraine and this is not representative of the Russian military. This is the Russian military and the world is seeing first hand what it is capable of.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Yes, gas is very infrastructure dependant and changing your supply takes time. It will get done though, Germany seems to finally have found its lost balls somewhere long forgotten.

Indeed. Their disastrous paradrops in the first days of the war made Arnhem look like a brilliant operation. What we see is the state of the Russian military: outdated tactics and equipment, super bad logistics, abyssmal officer corps, uneducated, unintelligent and badly trained soldiers with no capacity for battlefield initiative, bad intelligence capabilities, awful communication capabilities, low morale and discipline.

It’s a bunch of dumb, murdering, raping, pillaging barbarians with an unfortunate amount of artillery.

NATO would crush Russia in a matter of weeks in a conventional war.

4 Likes

Sweden and Finland make moves to join Nato | Nato | The Guardian

Not directly about the war in Ukraine, but this is potentially a direct consequence of Putin’s actions and will be a classic self own if it does come to pass.

4 Likes

He’s gotta be real pissed about Finland. Borders Russia less than 300 miles from St. Petersburg

It’s one of the biggest security blunders ever. Both Finland and Sweden were far away from NATO membership before this. In Sweden it was considered a completely dead issue, now almost 70% are in favor of joining as well as a majority in the parliament. If Finland joins, we join.

I can’t stress enough how unthinkable this was just 6 months ago. We have been neutral for hundreds of years.

2 Likes

Precisely. This was simply not on the cards until only a few months ago, so if both countries do join NATO then Russia has only themselves to blame.

Well Finland was pretty much forced to remain neutral during the Cold War for this very reason, so I imagine yes.

Yeah, definitely.

This is also a major win for NATO and the US. Not only does this open up the northern front for NATO forces, it gives added security to the vulnerable baltic NATO states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) in case of an attack. The added forces are also very big, Finland has one of the toughest militaries in Europe with their whole society prepared for a war with Russia/Soviet Union for 80 years. They have the biggest artillery forces in the EU, conscripiton which means everyone is trained for war and much like Ukraine they are tough bastards you really, really don’t want to fight. Sweden has a huge air force, with our own develeoped planes and production, a big military industry with a large capacity, a very good submarine force and decent navy. Together that is a huge addition to NATO’s capabilites against Russia, we are also trained to integrate with NATO forces allready.

I used to think Putin was a really smart guy, who danced around the West, always five steps ahead of us etc.

Then he goes and does this which is way more stupid then anything the UK or US ever did.

Like the KGB during the cold war would never have invaded Ukraine

1 Like

The man must have had a stroke or something.

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think NATO needed anymore military strength to deter Russia lol. But this does do what Putin said he was afraid of and that is potentially a massive NATO presence along their northern border, and, as you say, provides additional protection to the Baltic states.

I watch a YouTube channel called the Cold War and the host basically echoed what you said in that he always thought Putin was a cold pragmatist, but this war seems to be almost entirely driven by emotion and therefore out of his supposed character.

I always go back to just before the war broke out, and how if this was just about preventing Ukraine joining NATO then he was going to get what he wanted if he just sabre rattled.

Maybe it’s all big talk, bluff poker… Don’t know what to think of it. But I can’t help but wonder if these things are worth that possible risk. These threats are just scary af, can’t deny that.

As Lithuania said, Russia already upgraded the nuclear silos in 2018 in Kaliningrad, so the truth is the weapons are probably there already that they are threatening with.

It reeks of desperate posturing because they have inadvertently revealed that their military is the equivalent of the emperor has no clothes.

By the way, it has now been confirmed that the pearl of the Russian Black Fleet has now sunk. It cannot be stated how embarrassing this is.

2 Likes

If I’m Finland and Sweden, you call their bluff and join NATO anyways if that’s what they want to do.

Let them talk up the nuclear threats, everyone knows they aren’t launching shit because a country decided to join NATO.

1 Like