The next gen consoles dont seem so beastly now!

The consoles are just fine, but I’m thinking it’s time for a little more oomph. And my wife has been on me to get a new hobby so building a PC seems like a nice endeavor - but it will cost significantly more than the Series X (in my case, about $2K). For me, price isn’t really an object but for the budget minded the consoles are a great compromise

They just are going to get outworked, heavily, by high-end PC’s. As always. Originally I was all in on the Series X, until talking to my wife about building a PC. She loved the idea

I know the new cards are pretty damn exciting and leaps and bound above consoles but that is my point exactly what we have for next gen is really pretty damn powerfull for its budget. It was inevitable that PC would come on top as always. Imho I’m more than satisfied with XSX specs it is a beast of a console and really happy with ps5 specs too (hopefully they release later a ps5 pro).

We won’t be dragged down by these poor jag cpu anymore and will get some pretty good performance and possibilities.

You won’t be able to have such specs and customization and optimization for such a price on a pc.

IMPOSSIBLE

Try reading the OP…

Didnt you read the OP?, I say the consoles are excellent and I understand that consoles have to be in a certain price range.

I hope you realise that building a pc involves a LOT more than just the gpu… add 700-800 € and the price of the consoles are a lot more appealing again and don’t forget electricity waste. Consoles are muuuuch better optimised and waste way less electricity. I don’t how much electricity cost in your country but in Germany this is something you have to take in consideration.

And why are you telling me this?

We’ve known for a long time the 30xx and RDNA2 cards were coming and were going to be a big step forward. Especially with the 3080 and 3090 we’re talking very high end, and a tiny portion of the PC market. XSX will be more powerful than the vast majority of gaming PCs for a couple years, while being cheaper. It wasn’t the case in 2013 at all.

Did you find your answers to your PC audio questions, then? Are Atmos and other codecs going to be supported and comparable to the confired PS5/XSX capabilities?

Supposedly, though I am doing more research to verify. Also, I am building a pretty beefy PC so going to be about 2K. At this point it will be the 3900x, RTX 3800, 32GB of 3600 DDR4, 750w power supply, 1TB NVMe drive, etc

I am still trying to determine the ITX motherboard, but they all support WiFi6 and HDMI 2 that I am looking at. I’m trying to see if there is anything on audio codecs, but the information isn’t as readily available for some reason. Could be a show stopper, and the PC moves out of the theater room and the 1S into it

Thoughts on a XSX (or XSS if it has a drive) as a multimedia device or do you plan on a dedicated UHD player. I peeked at those recently. Awfully pricey to get any real performance benefit over the One X. Dolby Vision is finicky on the sub $1k players I looked at, meaning I’d have to check each movie and manually switch to Dolby Vision mode.

My last few PCs (and laptops) don’t even have disc drives so they won’t be a multimedia replacement for consoles. My near term debate is dedicated player vs PS5 as an ancillary device to my Series X while I drag my feet to see AMDs response and watch new Mobo releases and memory price fluctuations to keep my kid on point for his research on a new PC build.

The Xbox SX will be powerful PC! Watch!

Because you asked?

My wife is awesome!! I told her about my concerns with audio for the PC build, so she just said we will replace the 1S with SX as well. Nice to have a tech-inclined wife …

So I’m getting both! It’s a win-win

Nice! I sold my wife on 3 XSXs. Hers is for instant on, and fast loading of her media apps (plus she has sights on stealing my current OLED for a larger model in the media room), my son’s as a holiday gift, and mine is because I say so and rarely dote on myself. The PC build is the harder sell, but I’m delegating that to my kid to build with oversight and using the info from his recent and future computer courses.

Congrats on obtaining budgetary approval from your steering committee!!! :grin:

3070 is a mid range GPU. Get over it.

3050 - entry

3060 - low

3070 - mid

3080 - high

3090 - enthusiast

So no, Im not the one with the perception issue, you are.

3 SX’s!!! Nice! How do you deal with all of those under one account, or do you have to use multiple? And you should definitely do the PC build with your son. It was one of the most rewarding things I had done when I first built my own PC in my late teens. I’m absolutely giddy at the idea of tinkering with a PC again, and the case I settled on is badass. XPROTO so I don’t have to worry about cramming stuff into a little case - won’t be water-cooled though.

We cheat! :smile: My wife uses my “home” console in the room and I use my Ultimate Game Pass membership to play in the theater room. My son currently shares a game pass account with his friend. The friend, like me, plays online while my son’s console is set as the friends home console. So, yes we all have separate Xbox accounts.

That being said, I truely miss the Xbox Live Gold family pass! I’d love for that to come back as an option for game pass so I don’t have to dance around loopholes.

Dude what? A $500 GPU that hasn’t been released yet is not mid range.

Mid range is $200-300, where the vast majority of GPU sales occur.

2 Likes

Doesn’t it knock one of the boxes offline when you try to use them both at the same time with same account? It would be nice to be able to give the 1S to my son

Well, its a case of semantics.

But if the 3070 is a high end card then what does that make the 3080?