The next gen consoles dont seem so beastly now!

Is calling something a dumb question any less rude than what I said? A 20TFlop (can’t really compare TFlops across architectures well but whatever) GPU cost $500. Let’s assume the GPU in the XSX costs 300-350. That’s a ~40% increase in price for a ~40% increase in performance. Like I said, you get what you pay for. Can’t expect a console’s GPU to match the production of a GPU that is the price of the console itself. And even then, I think the XSX GPU is a lot closer to a 3070 than a 40% performance delta, by quite a good margin.

Don’t go by TFLOP numbers. Nvidia marketing is quite creative this time around. They’re just half of that actually, because the cores can now do FP + FP and not FP and INT

I grew up gaming on PC and love a lot of the PC-specific stuff - strategy, CRPGs, etc. But there’s literally nothing on PC that pushes graphics in the way there used to be. Back in the day you could look at something like Half Life 2 running maxed out on a PC and compare it to the PS2 and see that there was this huge generational difference. But that hasn’t been the case in at least ten years, maybe since Crysis in 2007. All of the graphics power of a modern high end PC is just wasted on bloat like running antialiasing at 4K and other silliness.

So effectively I could spend 3x what a console costs to get higher resolution versions of the same games (or not even get those games, compared to PS5), with more pain in the ass maintenance and no quality of life features like quick resume. Yeah no thanks.

Now if the argument is “having a PC around to play the occasional game that plays better with a mouse like grand strategy titles or MOBAs” then sure, agreed. But spending hundreds of dollars on a high end graphics card is a complete waste, IMO.

Or, I’ll give you VR if you’re into that.

1 Like

It’s crazy how unstable (can’t think of a better word) when it comes to stuff like this, it’s like people are in constant fear of something not being good because something else has been announced that’s better.

Does a brand new 2.1 second 0-60 McLaren make your 40K average sedan worse after it was announced? random comparaioson I know but not these consoles aren’t underpowered because a $499, $799,$1500 graphics card was just announced.

PC’s will ALWAYS be more powerful than consoles, that is a fact so if you worry about consoles being underpowered you are going to have a bad time.

PC market is completely different to the console market and here, twitter and reddit we are the hardcore minority.

1 Like

Some of you want the frickin’ moon on a stick I swear

1 Like

No, the complete opposite. Let’s also remember the power and heat constraints in the console space. The Series X is way way more powerful than I think we could ever have reasonably expected. The PS5 is good still but my bet is the variable clocks mean it will ultimately struggle more.

1 Like

The Series X and PS5 are still a great for the money. The 3070 is indeed a game changer. $499 is fairly reasonable, assuming that’s what it will actually end up costing in the wild.

I didn’t call anything dumb, lol.

So you are pleased the next gen consoles have half the gpu power of a mid range PC GPU?

they’re certainly more well rounded than the last ones

Holy crap, you’re right. I can’t believe that the less expensive console hardware is less powerful than the more expensive PC hardware. The insanity!

3 Likes

Just the PS5

Thing is, most PC gamers like myself have mid-tier components like the 1660 (ti/super) or 2060-70, and most will get the 3070. Series X is still going to be more powerful than the vast majority of PCs out there for a couple years, at least. It’s weird to compare consoles to PCs though, different machines with different goals.

1 Like

Can someone explain according to this article why 3070 is only 60% more powerful compared to 2070?

Quote from the article

“The $500 GeForce RTX 3070 is 60% faster than the original RTX 2070, has 8GB of GDDR6 memory, and can run games at 4K and 1440p resolutions.”

2070 is 7.5 TF

3070 is 20 TF

It should 125% more powerful🤔

What am i missing? Or is the article wrong?

2 Likes

I think Nvidia TF is different from AMD. 60% more powerful means the 3070 is 10 -11TF and that’s means XSX is more powerful. We should wait for the games. Also we need a thread about this.

It’s hard to compare PC to console, since console hardware is optimized for gaming and the OS is really light when it compare to Windows. It’s common to see underpowered console (alike the fat Xbox one) perform better than expected.

And we’re not talking about the price, whatever it is, the XSX between 400 to 600 dollars it still a very good deal.

I think the next gen console hardware will be revelant for the next five years at least.

I’ll take 1 Mars Pop please

Relative to top end PCs, Series X stacks up much better than either Xbox One or PS4 did. Beyond tflops, it has a full next gen feature set and NVME drive.

Consoles have to get locked in more than a year before they launch. The flip side to this “issue” is that they will be far better optimized than any PC configuration.

As an aside, anyone try to run a PC with comparable specs to the Xbox One on today’s games? I’m legit curious how they’d hold up.

I don’t understand… so more expensive stuff is more powerful? How is this possible? Completely unheard of.

3 Likes

Truth of Ampere “shader flops”

First Sony and now Nvidia. Muddy waters🤦

Nvidia cuda core for ampere may only be 50-60% performant.

Only Xbox is delivering correct information about it’s hardware.

2 Likes

Lmao no, this thread is just silly. We’re getting consoles with 8 core/16 thread CPUs, SSD, RT hardware, VRS, geometry shaders, etc with a power range between the 2070-2080S for around $500. You still won’t be able to build a PC to match these consoles for a similar cost.

1 Like