The Game Awards 2020 |OT|

I think both PlayStation and Xbox fans are setting themselves up for a BIG SAD at this TGA.

TGA is not E3. It never will be. Expecting Metal Gear/Silent Hill/God of War and Starfield/Perfect Dark/Acquistion/whatever just isn’t going to happen.

Those are XGamesShowcase/Future of Gaming level announcements and i don’t see either of them wasting it on Geoff. I don’t hate the guy, but I’m sorry, you don’t bring God of War first gameplay to the TGAs. You don’t bring Perfect Dark to the TGAs.

“But what about Hellblade 2/XSX announcements?” Yeah, they did, and they went over like a gust of wind. Geoff didn’t care. They just announced a goddamn new console and a sequel to a Game of the Year winner on his stage and he didn’t care.

Geoff is a helluva good salesman, but expecting E3 level announcements at the TGA is setting up big sad.

What was Geoff’s big get for GamesCom Opening Night Live? Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart footage that we’ve already seen before but just more of it. Yeah it looked great, but it was already announced.

2 Likes

Agree. I think it’s gonna be fun, but my expectations are realistic with what The Game Awards always are. People keep saying there should be gameplay demos and that’s just not The Game Awards.

Disagree about Hellblade/Series X going over “like a gust of wind” though. His intro made it clear it was a big deal.

Absolutely. Whilst I lament the transition from an awards show to a trailer party, last year’s game awards weren’t really the game awards. It was the Series X and Hellblade 2 reveal event. Nobody really remembers the rest and those two moments are all people really talked about for weeks and months afterwards.

I think they’re definitely showing Gears 5 DLC and probably a cinematic trailer for an unannounced game, either the initiative or compulsion. Could also see some gamepass announcement emphasizing xcloud since they’ll have Nintendo and PS fans watching and xcloud could entice them since they don’t need a console.

Geoff here or there doesnt matter. The reveal of the series x brought a lot mind share and millions watch the show. More than any xbox e3 show. If you can show something good you will at this event.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve ever been blown about by a TGA announcement. Even the Series X announcement was kinda weird lol! I’m not hyping myself for announcements at all.

I’m not even a Persona player, but Joker being announced for Smash knocked me on my ass, for sure.

1 Like

Persona 5 still hasn’t been released on switch which is honestly a little funny.

It sucks shit. I would love to play it there.

Persona 5 for Xbox, switch and PC surely must be in the pipeline.

They’d make a lot of money from porting Persona 5 to other platforms, there’s no way Atlus/Sega is so stupid they don’t realize that. Especially after Persona 4 Golden on PC.

Sega is one of the weirdest companies when it comes to porting games. You can never count on Sega to ship games on non PlayStation platforms. PC and Xbox gamers can never be guaranteed any games from Sega.

2 Likes

I could totally see (not at the Game Awards, but at an Xbox show) a Yakuza-style announcement that Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal are coming to Game Pass.

I’d rather have them on Switch because in a long-ass grindy game, I’d wanna do it at work, but it would still be good news!

The writings on the wall as far as I’m concerned. Maybe I’m wrong but i feel like Persona would be a bigger hit than Yakuza on gamepass. I say that as someone who has more interest in Yakuza.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the one thing I don’t like about Sega, they aren’t consistent. They say they’re trying to bring their games to other platforms, and they start doing it with Yakuza, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 etc, but at the same time they skip Xbox/PC with Sakura Wars. And then I’m convinced Atlus hasn’t even heard of an Xbox, they only seem to only want to stick with PlayStation. Hoping that in the future it won’t be a roll of the dice, and everything they make can be multiplatform.

I mean this is a company who appear to be genuinely surprised when they sell more copies of game because it is released on more than one platform lol.

1 Like

wtf

1 Like

My expectations/predictions for The Game Awards are as follows -

Xbox

• Psychonauts 2 gameplay trailer with a March 2021 release date
  • Gears 5 DLC Hivebusters gameplay trailer with a 12/11 or 12/15 release date
  • Hellblade 2 gameplay trailer with “2022” shown at the end of the trailer

PlayStation

• Lost Soul Aside gameplay trailer, no release date
  • Returnal gameplay trailer with a Summer 2021 release date
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart gameplay trailer with a April 2021 release date

General

• Cyberpunk 2077 launch trailer…available now
  • Outriders gameplay trailer, February 2nd, 2021
  • Doom Eternal: Ancient Gods Part II gameplay trailer, 2021
  • Resident Evil VIII: Village gameplay trailer, April 2021 release date
  • BioMutant gameplay trailer, 2021
  • A few AA/Indie titles
4 Likes

kinda tame but very realistic. I’m still hoping for a glimpse of the Initiative project

1 Like

Definitely a lot more realistic than most lol.

You did miss out on Elden Ring, there’s just too much flame at the moment regarding it being there, and I’m personally more excited for that than anything else on the list. Perhaps Playdead’s game reveal could challenge that. :pleading_face:

1 Like