The Game Awards 2020 |OT|

haha nah that’s just the bottom text from the large blog post, they’re just being cheeky which to me could even be another thing pointing to something but again just speculation and fun.

Yeah that would be pretty big I think or even Among Us coming to Game Pass for PC/Xbox that would be a smart move.

2 Likes

Sega thing is funny. There’s been so many little references. Seems like one big coincidence though imo.

3 Likes

Isn’t among us like basically free or close to being so lol

I see fall guys on GP would be great announcement at the show. I think a good time to bring among us would be the announcement of full fledged discord support on console, now that would be a nice moment cuz it is very relevant and tied together to streaming.

Among Us runs on any phone or pc. It really don’t need to come to consoles :smiley: If you haven’t played it yet you probably never will. Find a group this game is the better version of werewolf.

I’ve never even looked or seen the nominees till I clicked this thread. Here is my BIG problem with these sorts of awards…

They treat games as though they are some huge piece of art that needs to be revered in the same way we might revere music or film or literature. The fundamental problem I have is that IMHO (and I think uncontroversially) the number one metric for a game should be FUN. Whilst I might watch a movie to make me think about something or read a book to be moved a game I play primarily has to be fun to play. Otherwise what’s the point right? Its why I don’t get games that are effectively just interactive stories…I don’t get that. If you want to indulge in narrative only then film, TV and literature has you more than covered. And far better covered than even the greatest game narrative ever can.

I’ve had more fun playing grounded than ANY of these games listed here. This is just a list of AAA nonsense we can muse over. Nothing wrong with ANY of these games but not a single one IMHO is worthy of this sort of accolade. And the wrong things are being prioritized. I’ll wager more people will have more fun in this year’s installment of COD than they will collectively across this list.

Animal Crossing - heck yes that game deserves to be there. Hades - not my thing but yes I suspect so. The rest - not for me - not even close. Doom Eternal isn’t even the best doom game in the last few years…

3 Likes

My award categories would be “Best Shotgun kickback”, “Most satisfying combo”, “Best death animations”, etc.

Yeah - I mean I’ve enjoyed Tetris Effect Connected way more than just about anything in these lists and it’s a rich narrative exper…oh…

It really annoys me that we don’t actually have a games awards we instead try to make it the ‘games oscars’. Why can’t we award games for what they are and what they do well, rather than force them all to be ‘as good as a movie…I mean obviously not AS good…but almost…and the graphics…wow and the story…man it’ll make you cry…I mean you won’t get that far because after 12 hours most have had enough because its a bit of a grind…but man…if you do spend 3 hours collecting corn to boost your health enough…that story for the last 4 hours is so good…it could be a movie…I mean sure you can’t in real life boost your health with grain…you know what I mean…’

1 Like

If you like fun and good gameplay mechanics DOOM Eternal definitely deserved to be a nominee even if for some reason you prefer 2016, it’s one of the best shooters ever made and one of the best sequels ever made anyway so being there is the least they could do. If anything Animal Crossing and DOOM Eternal are the two games that deserved the most to be there (I haven’t played Hades yet btw but it also looks awesome) at least if you value fun and appreciate videogames being videogame-y af without feeling guilty about it.

As I said previously on this thread there are a lot of great games missing from this list…the most obvious are Alyx and Ori 2 but also games like Huntdown and Creaks deserved a nomination in there.

Oh I enjoyed Doom Eternal - I just found the gameplay loop less satisfying than 2016. Arenas were tighter ammo scarcer and it forced you into a specific playstyle whereas for Doom 2016 it felt more like the OG Doom style of game just updated to me - which I preferred. But I agree its a good game. GOTY - probably not but I agree with you re AC and Ori 2 - not played Alyx but yeah…

There is a place for ALL Videogame types IMHO its just these sorts of things usually skew one way and when they do for example award a game like Overwatch you literally have people going crazy about it.

The Player’s Voice category has now opened!

There will be 3 rounds to it, first round starts with 30. Then it drops down to 10 for round two, and finally just 5 for round three, in which one game will be chosen as the winner. Make sure to vote for the games you think deserve to win!

Here are all 30 games:

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Hades
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fortnite
  • Among Us
  • Valorant
  • League of Legends
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  • Apex Legends
  • Destiny 2
  • Genshin Impact
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
  • Phasmophobia
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Bugsnax
  • Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
  • Demon’s Souls
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Free Fire
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

I can’t believe they put goddamn Bugsnax but not Wasteland 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Gears: Tactics, etc.

Vote here:

2 Likes

I know. Where the fuck is Flight Sim!?!? Also, I think Minecraft Dungeons was Xbox’s second weakest third party game this year, only surpassed by the disastrous console port of Wasteland Remastered but at least it’s XGS representation.

Also what’s with all the repeat games like Fortnite, Destiny, etc. Who picks these nominees? No Dreams, no Flight Sim, no Tactics, no Crusader Kings. Bugsnax, Fortnite and Call of Duty. Smh.

And like, I wanted to love Bugsnax but ìt wasn’t for me but that’s besides the point. Games in 70s and shit that is 5 years old make the list, but Flight Sim can’t get a nod!?! I’m sure if asked Keighley will point to Among Us and Destiny and say the game will be nominated next year when it hits console but will it?

1 Like

Seriously, this feels really unfair. They really just gotta put games in because of popularity but ignore games that actually deserve it. No Yakuza either, sadly. Feels like these games get ignored just because of what genre they are.

Well, we gotta all root for Ori now, it’s currently in 10th place, so it’s on the verge of elimination. Hopefully, it can keep that spot. And the top six games right now are literally just all the GOTY nominees…

2 Likes

Prediction time!

What do you guys think?

1 Like

I don’t care about the actual awards. A lot of them are nonsensical. Why is Crusader Kings 3 competing with Microsoft Flight Simulator for the same award? Who keeps nominating Spike Chunsoft’s shitty anime arena fighters?

1 Like

Because haven’t you heard? Simulation and strategy are just so similar. Ditto Sports and Racing. There just aren’t enough nominees!!!/s

1 Like

Nice video. I personally don’t think Ubisoft+ coming to Xbox Game Pass will happen at the Game Awards, or even ever, but I do think there’s a chance for an Initiative teaser, and a high chance of Psychonauts 2 and Gears 5 DLC.

1 Like

Nothing too outlandish, some of them are pretty safe bets I would say. I am hoping we will get confirmation what The Initiative is working on.

I would like to ask what makes you believe Uplay could be coming to Game Pass? Is it rumblings that you or someone else has heard, or is it an educated guess based on what has happened with EA Play and Game Pass and the fact Ubisoft has done something similar with Luna?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Initiative’s game get a short CGI teaser trailer and name reveal at the end of the teaser trailer ala Fable. Personally though, im hoping the don’t reveal the game until they have a few minutes of actual gameplay ready that can be shown because while it’s great to know the title and game that developers are working on, without any gameplay, it takes away any excitement that I would have compared to if you’re showing me actual gameplay of what the game looks and plays like.

Would absolutely love to see UPlay+ go into Game Pass Ultimate but only if it includes games day one like they are on PC and Stadia. EA Play in Game Pass Ultimate is great but I see it as a miss because you’re not getting the games day one. I would have preferred EA Play and UPlay to be in Game Pass for $10 a month for the entire back catalog while seeing the release day counterparts being in Game Pass Ultimate and I would not have had any issue with a price increase of $5 from $15 to $20 a month because it’s easily worth the extra $60 a year as a single day one release from either EA or Ubisoft would already make back that extra $60 that would be spent on an entire year. So basically, im hoping it happens if it includes their games day one. Otherwise, while great in general, I will barely if ever use the service despite being a massive Ubisoft fan.

I’m not a fan of From Software but nevertheless, I wouldn’t be surprised if Elden Ring gets a new trailer but im going to say that the game is further out than people believe it is and that it won’t be shown until Microsoft’s Xbox Game Showcase in June 2021.

Agree 100% with Psychonauts 2. I’m expecting a new gameplay trailer with a March 2021 release date at the end which as of right now, is an empty month overall.

Agree 100% with Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC. I’m expecting a gameplay trailer and it being released on 12/11 or 12/15. Looking forward to this.

Forza Horizon 5 is a possibility but I say it gets held until June and released in September 2021. I don’t see any ZeniMax/Bethesda game being shown at all until the acquisition is legally finalized which is a few months away. I can however see a teaser trailer for The Ancient Gods Part II for Doom Eternal since the game is multi-platform anyway and showing it wouldn’t affect anything.

One other game that im expecting to be shown is Hellblade 2. I’m pretty sure that it was meant to be shown at the July Games Showcase and was pulled for not being ready. Six months later, the gameplay trailer should be ready to be shown and hopefully it will be.

Ain’t nothing wrong with Bugsnax! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yakuza not being in that players choice poll is weird. Bugsnax is there though.

1 Like