The Blue Box Game Studios x Hideo Kojima Rumour |OT| Grab a tin foil hat at the entrance

I think this one is needed, huh?

Timeline:

1. Game Announcement (April 7)

Abandoned, a cinematic survival sim developed by the unknown Dutch studio Blue Box, was announced to be releasing for PS5 later this year on a PS Blog post. The post was written by the Game Director, Hasan Kahraman.

Source: Abandoned, a cinematic survival sim, hits PS5 later this year – PlayStation.Blog

2. The studio denies Hideo Kojima’s involvement (April 8)

Not long after the announcement the rumours surrounding Kojima’s involvement started. The studio was seemingly forced to put out and statement denying said rumours: “We received several emails regarding the Hideo Kojima rumour. We have no association with Hideo Kojima nor do we claim to have any association nor was it our intention to claim such a statement. We are a small group of developers working on a passionate title we wanted to work on for a long time.”

Source: Abandoned developer forced to deny Kojima collab rumours • Eurogamer.net

3. The studio announces a new “dedicated app showcasing upcoming trailers” (June 11)

Things start to get weird as soon as E3 starts. The studio announced on Twitter that the game would have its own PS5 app “showcasing upcoming title related trailers and gameplay reveal demos”. Yes, a dedicated app with the single purpose of straming the game’s trailers.

Source: (1) BLUE BOX Game Studios no Twitter: “On June 22 Abandoned will have it’s own PS5 app showcasing upcoming title related trailers and gameplay reveal demo’s. All images are actual in-game sequences that will provide you a first impression of the game followed by a gameplay demo this summer along with a release date.” / Twitter

4. Studio asks followers to guess the name: starts with an S, ends with an L (June 15)

The studio says on Twitter that Abandoned equals to “First Letter S, Last Letter L”. The Internet immediately goes wild thinking about Silent Hill.

Source: (1) BLUE BOX Game Studios no Twitter: “Guess the name: Abandoned = (First letter S, Last letter L). Reveal closing in… #PS5 #Exclusive” / Twitter

5. Studio denies once again Kojima or Konami’s involvement (June 15)

The studio seems surprised that people assumed it would be Silent Hill and once again states they have no relations with Kojima or Konami.

Source: BLUE BOX Game Studios no Twitter: “We wanted to set things straight. We have no relations with Konami. Silent Hill is owned by Konami. We do not have any relations with Hideo Kojima. It was never our intention to tease the name as Silent Hill. We sincerely apologize for this.” / Twitter

6. Studio says that the “Blue” in its name does not refer to a color, but something else (June 17)

Blue Box is actually B.L.U.E. box, and the studio says they will reveal the true meaning behind the acronym tomorrow.

Source: (1) BLUE BOX Game Studios no Twitter: “Company fact: BLUE doesn’t refer to the color, it refers to something else. Can you guess it?” / Twitter

Rumours and Coincidences:

1. When we translate Hideo from Japanese to Turkish using Google Translate, we get Kahraman – Blue Box Game Studio’s surname.

1. The initials of Hasan Kahraman are HK, the same as Hideo Kojima.

2. Blue Box’s YouTube channel’s header is a picture of… hills.

1. Hasan Kahraman has published some apps on the App Store. One of them is called Go Fit XL, which in the description it specifies “Personal Training (PT) Programs”. Yes, PT.

1. Kojima Productions set up a small satellite studio based in Amsterdam alongside Guerrilla Games, the same city Blue Box is based on.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/805167169126309888

1 Like

My take: Kojima is involved, but it is not Silent Hill.

Another take: this is Death Stranding-related.

well, that’s quite convincing

I think it’s probably something with him

Looking forward to the meltdown when he turns out to be working on an Xbox exclusive.

1 Like

Unreal Engine makes me think he is not involved. He would be using Decima again or FOX engine.

This is the dumbest thing ever but I can’t deny it’s convincing.

2 Likes

Geoff Keighley said at the other place that the studio DM’d him on May 11 after saying he didn’t think Kojima was involved.

According to Grubb on the DPS Podcast moments ago, Abandoned has nothing to do with Kojima who’s in advanced talks with Microsoft and is expecting a deal to get done and have Kojima start working on the game that he wants to do.

Blue Box is going to have this blow up in their face and will probably kill their game.

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

So, it seems Grubb is pretty sure about that if he said that moments ago. Imran seems also to think this is not Kojima, and Shinobi warned the studio about their teasing.

Thats odd, because the preview trailer looked like hot trash.

The oddest thing is that PlayStation is backing it up. They gave the greenlight to an app made only for streaming the game’s trailers.

Since the weekend PlayStation should have had approached the studio to ask them tone down a little aswell.

This can get reeeal nasty for the studio.

1 Like

What if Kojima has several projects, one with Sony and one with Microsoft ?

2 Likes

It’s one of the 25 games that Hulst mentioned a few weeks ago.

I seriously doubt that. He normally works on one game at a time.

More evidence for no Kojima involvement

This is a failed Kickstarter from 2015, from this very studio. I doubt, VERY MUCH, Kojima has been playing the long game to THIS EXTENT.

2 Likes

That’s also what makes me hesitate. The studio clearly has a past.

I do not think it’s him one bit. There’s obviously some sort of ARG going on with the game. That does not automatically mean it’s Kojima. Tons of indie devs do ARGs all the time.

1 Like

Maybe it is just a demo leading to Silent Hill, much like P.T, but not necessarily with Kojima involved.

Do you know when Grubb had the podcast ?