The Big ol' Xbox 3rd Party Releases Discussion Thread (HiFi, SoT, Pentiment, Grounded) (Part 1)

They’ve literally already stated that they’re changing their strategy to focus on growth through PC, Cloud, and Mobile

5 Likes

That doesn’t mean they’re going to start releasing their marquee single player titles day and date. At least not in response to Xbox releasing titles on competing platforms.

4 Likes

HFR is a more charming game with charismatic characters. But it’s not a very accessible game, on easy it’s not engaging at all, on normal (and higher) the combat was ok but the parrying sequences had me stressed and frustrated in a very unpleasant way. By contrast, Bayonetta does not require you to be a professional drummer to have fun with it.

In any case, both are rooted in the Devil May Cry lineage so I think the comparison is apt. Bayonetta 3 sold 1.07M. Maybe selling even a fraction of that number may justify the costs of porting it, dunno. But I don’t think the game will be a huge hit on other platforms.

1 Like

Exactly! They love running in many directions early on hoping something works for them. They fail to stick to what they have now and make it better, why not focus on console, always trying to focus on the future when it ends up biting them back. They are trying to be jack of all trades but master of none.

1 Like

Its a lose-lose.

Optimize for Pro and piss off Xbox cobsole owners.

Don’t optimize for Pro and piss off PS players who they are trying to sell full priced late ports.

2 Likes

Their growth on PC has been very limited because they have to market their games again when they hit PC (which they don’t do too much of) and since PC players had been waiting 2+ years for the game already, they might wait another year to get a deep discount as the FOMO is simply not there.

Horizon Forbidden West and Dragon’s Dogma 2 release on the same day on Steam, let’s see how each game performs lol.

1 Like

What I want to know is if the podcast be a broadcast premiere or just upload and people would seek the one they want to hear the most.

I agree, PC gamers also don’t like being thought of as second rate citizens, which is what Sony is doing with their late releases. No one wants to pay full price for somethings that users on console can get on sale for 20$ at the same point in time. A few people will buy for sure, but it’s the reason I think why those games haven’t been lighting up the charts like MS’s titles. As can be seen with Helldivers, Day 1 releases can be successful and is the way to go.

Steam has 120 million monthly active users. MS was smart to start releasing their games their and I wouldn’t be surprised a huge chunks of the money they make right now comes from there.

Yeah and they will keep moneyhats too.

3 Likes

So with all the focus on what the bad news could be, invariably there has to be some good news dropped at the same time right?

So what’s the good news going to be?

1 Like

That’s only because Sony lacks the resources and skills required to do so. They are building it up so they can eventually to do what nearly all other third party developers do - release games on multiple platforms at the same time.

1 Like

Depends on yiur definition of soon, the leaks showed they are changing their pillars as they are ‘archiac’

Why do you care about “late ports” to a console you don’t even own? (referring to xbox ports to PS)

Think the most important thing is they’re clear, even if they have to use “case by case basis” they need to confirm on Starfield and Indiana Jones in particular due to those being reported on.

Also whether it’ll ever include Xbox-defining IPs such as Halo or Gears.

If they don’t mention any of that and don’t rule them out using their logic for picking games, it won’t really answer everyone’s questions so this goes on.

And if they do say “no plans” for Starfield or Indiana Jones then they get announced later this year it’s going to really hurt their relationship with the fan base - which already is less stable that thought with the outcry this last fortnight or so.

We may not like what we hear, but at least if there’s some clarity people can make up their minds - while further uncertainty doesn’t help anyone

4 Likes

Also on the clarity thing, they need to ensure Xbox owners are still the priority - we’ll have paid a much higher entry price to their games (the console cost) compared to someone buying one game on another platform.

A bad scenario they need to reassure can’t happen is the PS5 Pro being released, us getting Indiana Jones with a few bugs at launch (Xbox QA hasn’t been great on some releases recently) then 3 months later PlayStation gets a patched-up Pro-optimised release.

That’d be a complete kick in the teeth, us being beta testers for PlayStation users who’d get a better version - and risk Game Pass Day 1 becoming a type of “early access”.

I don’t think that’ll happen, but it’s what I think many would fear / rightly get very annoyed by - and they need to be clear and reassuring that eventuality will never happen on any game

1 Like

shadow drop diablo 4 on gamepass :joy:

Out of interest I went to a custom PC builder site, picked higher ranged stuff and the cost (with tax) was

£2,400 for a 4080

£2,100 for a 4070

£1,750 for a 4060

And £1,200 for the bottom GC.

With PCs so cheap Xbox about to become a exbox. Ok bad joke but it shows how expensive it is (excluding PS5). My plan is to move to PC but it’s mega expensive.

Lastly it’s seems extremely likely that there is going to be bad news in some form at the podcast. So I advise muting/blocking and avoiding Twitter and the usual click bait gaming outlets.

It’s made even worse if they don’t include Call Of Duty, on Gamepass.

If you’re a PlayStation owner and you’re weighing it up then I don’t think it makes sense.

A console and a few years of Gamepass could get you to $750 fairly easily. So, that versus the individual price of games… You would have to want to buy and play all Microsoft’s first party games in a 3 year period to break even.

Plus, take into account that the games will likely get deals and offers.

It’s very difficult to justify a second console, when the games are all available on the one you already own. imo.

6 Likes

I see that as twisting what SONY said slightly . Unless you can show in written text or with a video where SONY said it is now changing their strategy to take focus away from PlayStation 5 and to instead prioritise cloud and PC gaming over the Playsation console brand I would say that for that Playsation is still SONY main focus when it coming to gaming.

PC gaming a also a non-brainer to me since all consoles games are developed on the PC most of the tech comes from the PC as well. Its only Nintendo that looks not to make extra easy money with simple PC ports which IMO is a silly move.

Well obviously Xbox disagrees.