The BC Thread (UPDATE ON FPS BOOST)

@Sikamikanico and @Shpeshal_Nick , watching the podcast again and it’s quit nifty how on point the topic of Backwards Compatibility was. Notably the “the final batch” and the “huge batch of games, 20, 30, 40 whatever it is” statements.

I always enjoy how the podcast has a great record of picking relevant topics to discuss.

1 Like

My source originally told me the batch was only expected to be about 10 (back in January).

But obviously as this event got closer it became clearer the batch was significant which made me think it would be the final batch. Which it turns out it is.

1 Like

Nice work BC team!

The licensing thing is a big hurdle. Sony and MS can’t even keep some recent games on the storefront much less old ones. Even going forward BC isn’t going to be guaranteed for everything. I know devs/pubs aren’t going to give up a perpetual license for their games. Also some of these older games have pubs/devs, middleware, content, etc… that have gone out of business, restructured, bought, sold, whatever such that no one knows who owns what. Not worth the legal hassle to have someone pop out of nowhere wanting money because they did something for a game and re-distribution was not in their original agreement.

1 Like

Loving BC on Series X

3 Likes

What an end to an era and a valiant effort from the BC team.

It is not just the number of titles that were added but the quality of the emulation that was most impressive, I mean just look at Nintendo charging for BC and the results were subpar at best.

I look forward to seeing what the team comes up with next.

1 Like

Where do you think they’re going to next? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

maaaan, get Fromsoft on the phone smh lol

1 Like

Well, we know resolution boost is something they were working on from the DF Redmond visit in the run-up to launch.

For games that FPS boost from 60 to 120, a resolution boost would be a welcome addition for those without 120hz displays – or a choice for those with. For games that FPS boost won’t work with, it’s a no brainer to offer a resolution boost as a means of leveraging the extra horsepower.

If they aren’t going to give us Ryse Son of Rome at 60fps, at least give us it at a higher resolution. :smiley:

So what’s the beat way to get a copy of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand now?

The only thing that surprised me is that this is the last batch of BC games. There are still games such as Dust an Elysian Tale that could be made BC, in fact I’d love to see that. But maybe for whatever reason the studio or pub doesn’t want it.

The guy doesn’t like Xbox much, to put it lightly, he is another of the dissatisfied XBLA indies, like Jonathan Blow and others.

Generally speaking, yeah, there are still many lost (at this point) gems in OG and 360 catalogue. The only hope are remasters and remakes, pc (but many games don’t have a pc port or it’s crap being very old) or emulators.

Pray that a local pawn shop has it sitting around and they are unaware of the value (saw someone online say they found Otogi at a shop today for $7 an it’s normally really expensive online). Other than that, your only option is to suck it up and pay the toll. At least the JP import version is cheaper (still expensive though) and Series is region free.

1 Like

Also surprising is that Risen 1+2 got the BC treatment, but Risen 3, by the same developer and publisher, is missing.

That too. The one I actually didn’t get to play. I mean their games have many issues but I can’t deny the studio will always have a special place in my gamer heart, there’s some real good stuff in those games.

1 Like

Well, I meant the BC team were going to Nintendo to fix up their BC. It would explain the Nintendo Switch in the shelf behind Phil Spencer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is telling that the first two reasons cited were legal and licensing issues.

1 Like

Amazing effort from the BC team but looks like I’ll be keeping my poor used and abused 360 hooked up as I’ve still got a massive pile of games that aren’t supported. All good things come to an end :cry:

1 Like

Now that this is over, put the entire BC team on bringing Rare Replay to PC.

1 Like

Lol, I have no recollection of buying Bikini Samurai Squad, but there it is in my library ready to download.

1 Like

My personal graveyard :cry:

OG Xbox:

JET SET RADIO FUTURE, Phantom Crash, Mechassault 1 and 2, Fatal Frame 1 and 2 (OG Xbox versions are definitive with exclusive endings and other content), Amped 1 and 2 (licensing issues, I know…), Rallisport Challenge 2, obscure JP region stuff you would need a JP OG Xbox (or softmodded console) for (Magatama, Tenerezza, SMT Nine)

SHMUPS (not my image)

(some of these actually are in, and City Connection has been porting shmups recently, with Deathsmiles 1+2 coming next month, so hopefully these can get preserved too)

Dynasty Warriors series (was hoping for Gundam Warriors), Armored Core series, Lollipop Chainsaw (we got most other Grasshopper games. This one is a licensing issue for sure though), El Shaddai, Eternal Sonata (this one seemed like a fairly big request)

7 Likes