Steam Deck (Handheld) Revealed

Short term, yes. (Although my understanding is that the Series S is already being sold at a substantial loss, so adding a screen would have made it even moreso. Also, people already criticize the Series S for its performance, and I think further sacrifices would have to be made - for size/battery/heat - to get it into a handheld form factor.)

Long-term however, I think MS is and should be focused on streaming to mobile as their handheld solution. There’s just a lot more potential there, and MS/Xbox cannot try to be all things to all people.

All of this “not quite ready yet” stuff with Xcloud is going to pay off as streaming technology matures. It won’t be easy for competitors who hadn’t been refining an existing product for years to catch up.

This looks great, although the button placement seems very awkward.

Look if this thing can use game pass and we can sync our saves and progression this baby is gonna be a hit for me.

2 Likes

The IGN hands on states you can install Windows and 3rd party apps on it. It’s a handheld Xbox/Steam PC…if that’s what you want.

2 Likes

That’s a relief to hear, not interested in Linux in the slightest.

the $400 pricepoint is surprisingly reasonable looking at it… maybe Nintendo should consider partnering with AMD for the Switch’s successor.

2 Likes

Do Steam versions of Xbox titles support XBL features like cross-save and achievements? This could basically be a native handheld for Xbox if you’re not into streaming. The lower resolution + something like Fidelity FX can fill the gap between this and Series S versions of games.

4 Likes

YaY

Happy Joy GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

This is kinda a big meh for me, it looks big and clunky and the stick layout looks extremely uncomfortable. I would love a Xbox controller with a screen between the left and right grip.

1 Like

the Game Gear lives!

day1 for the 256gb version (if i manage to get one)

1 Like

Yeah I think this is the one I may aim for.

1 Like

A 4C/8T Zen 2 and RDNA 2 GPU in a 15W power envelope is an impressive engineering accomplishment. Price is very reasonable as well. Hopefully this does better than the steam machines. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Gabe Gear

5 Likes
6 Likes

lmao

2 Likes

this is me too

1 Like

I don’t think an Xbox handheld is coming but you can bet they will work closely with Valve now to implement Game Pass.

MS acquiring Valve would be the perfect move.

This must’ve been what Gabe meant when he was asked about Steam being on consoles an he replied saying they’d have an answer to that question before year’s end. I wonder if the rumors about Gabe wanting Game Pass on Steam were related to this too, actually.

8 Likes

This is as close to an xbox heandheld and a vita 2 as I am going to get so I am ok with it. Ill pick one up next year at some point

1 Like