Steam Deck (Handheld) Revealed

I mean this thing got a browser, so Game Pass is technically possible on this device. I think a 2TF Handheld is awesome. Heck this thing is more powerful than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Really cool to see, hope reviewers will like this thing.

1 Like

So how limited are the number of games this can run being on proton? I remember the steam machines could only run about 1% of steam games at the time as the game had to have a Unix version.

This would be a good buy if it ran windows.

Some downsides though from hardware perspective. The storage is soldered on, so can’t user upgrade. Yes you can use cards but the fast ones cost quite a bit so might as well buy the next model up instead. The battery range is from 2 to 8 hours.

Awfully generous there giving it 25% higher specs than it has; its only 1.6.

Isn’t the base model going to be useless for next gen games mandating SSDs? I think this would have made more sense for me if it came at the beginning of last gen. I am ready for a streaming game as the future.

Funny how people have to be 100% precise with Xbox’s tflops while we have no problem rounding up with Steams device.

3 Likes

I thought mofuckas were trolling but this came true and not the switch Pro (for now at least).

Fuck yes, as a pc guy this is a great thing to see. Just sad that the controller layout is like that, couldn’t care less for the touch pads tbh, but guess I gotta wait and see how it’ll fare amongst users.

This is the most interesting news this year, easily. Hope steam has an idea what it’s doing.

To those saying its a switch pro alternative.

No its not. I still can’t play 1st party nintendo games with better performance and visuals.

This is neat. But can it play games like nioh and aaa games? Or is it some indie machine.

If this takes off, I have a feeling Xbox and PS won’t be loving the decision to release their games on Steam lol. It will be hard to backtrack esp. for Xbox.

Why? Their games will continue to sell and even more so the xbox ones :skull:

6 Likes

I am going to get one and ask a Kiwi mate if he wants to take turns playing with my Deck.

2 Likes

Because It’s not using windows and MS doesn’t like that, also its competing for people’s money by being in the same range as consoles. People don’t have unlimited money.

Not bad at all. The only problem is the storage of the base version. 64GB means maybe one big installed game and that’s it. But I would guess we can just buy extra storage, do wonder how much extra it would cost though.

You can just use normal microSD cards to expand storage.

1 Like

That is really good, shouldn’t cost all that crazy much either.

There probably aren’t enough PC only games for me to truly consider getting this and for Sony games I don’t need it either because I will eventually get a PS5, but still. I will keep my eyes on this.

I keep reading in YouTube comment sections that they can play Switch games on it, but they mean emulator games. Not sure how well this would run emulator Switch games though.

I am already seeing a lot of sentiment that Xbox should make their own dedicated handheld/ Xbox is making a mistake by not already doing it. It’s such a bad idea I hope Xbox doesn’t fall for the bait.

9 Likes

MS want to sell consoles, absolutely but their goal is to get as many gamepas subscribers as possible, its why they are targeting billions of people on phones, they dont care about you buying the hardware as long as it means they are getting a subscription from you

This is far more powerful than a switch, its more powerful than a ps4, the ign guys tested Death Stranding, Control and a few others and said they looked and played well

Sure, you cant play Switch games (at least until emulation gets better) but not everyone wants a switch pro for Nintendo games

1 Like

With xCloud being a major goal for MS, a dedicated handheld never really made sense

Now that something like this is there, it makes even less sense for them to do it, why spend money making hardware when Valve has done it for them and they can still get the subscription from it

1 Like

I agree

Microsoft after the disaster of the last generation is currently on the right path and has a long way to prove itself as the best platform to play . After they achieve this goal, they do whatever they want, whether they try to make a portable device or create virtual reality experiences games (VR)

1 Like

Yes

Handheld stuff the kind of thing (along with VR) is something you can do when you have an established platform and can take major risks.