State of Play (July 8th) - Gameplay Walkthrough of Xbox Game Studios' "Deathloop" & more

It will be interesting to see how the cultists handle it, being an Xbox game and all.

2 Likes

Can’t comment on Returnal as it’s not for me. Would have played it if it was a straight forward game instead of being roguelike. Ratchet is easily making my top 10 due to the fact that I won’t have more than 10 games this year to play. Currently, it’s my #1 game of 2021 with Resident Evil VIII: Village #2 and Outriders #3.

Rest of 2021 for me are as follows -

• The Ascent
  • Far Cry 6
  • Halo Infinite
  • Dying Light 2

That’s 7 games. I may also go back to Biomutant and give that another chance since it was patched and improved a lot in a month. I still need 2 more games to even get to a top 10. lmao.

I may play Lost Judgment since I played the first game and im done with Yakuza but I really wish they would have removed the tailing missions because they were worse than Assassin’s Creed.

As long as I get 1-2 exclusives a year for PlayStation 5, im good as that would be better than what I had with Xbox One or PlayStation 3 which were 5 total exclusives for the entire generation.

1 Like

It’s multiple factors:

• It being a PS5 exclusive when the PS5 install base will be around 12 million when the game comes out.

• Immersive sims are not popular.

• Terrible marketing and promotion.

• Multiple delays that have deflated any hype it had.

• PlayStation users won’t invest because why would they if any sequels won’t come to their platform anyway?

1 Like

In no particular order… Far Cry, Halo, Forza Horizon, Hitman, Flight Sim, Resident Evil, Battlefield, Call of Duty

Ratchet isn’t better than any of those franchises

Of course there will also be some dark horses like Guardians of the Galaxy, Mario Party, Deathloop, Yakuza, Test Drive, Mass Effect, Life is Strange

Then indies that I don’t know well enough to name could even surprise us.

I guess when it comes down to it , it’s fine if people like ratchet enough to call it one of the years best. It’s good just not great in my opinion. Now where I will get annoyed is if Forza Horizon isn’t the biggest most praised game of the year. If Horizon 5 is only as good as the last game it should be a perfect 10.

Fair enough for the games you listed. I only have interest in Far Cry and Halo Infinite in regards to upcoming games. Completed RE 8 but I didn’t like the last third of the game (which was also a complaint I had with RE 7 and RE 4) and wouldn’t put it ahead of Rift Apart which for me is the better game.

Lucky you, outside of Lost Judgment, those games you listed don’t interest me. After Avengers, no way im falling for GOTG. Pretty sure Test Drive is September 2022.

I rated Ratchet an 8.5/10. Great game in my opinion. Really enjoyed it. I rated RE 8 and Outriders the same but wouldn’t put them ahead of Ratchet.

Isn’t Forza Horizon 5 already getting praised? If you’re expecting it to win game of the year, it will win a few im sure but not the majority so you may be disappointed.

Of course, if it ends up being your game of the year, that’s all that should matter. Out of the last 15 years, my personal GOTY has only been the same 4 times which is only 27%.

1 Like

I’ve definitely sensed interest in the game cooling over time. I mean people were frothing over the initial trailer. The game still has fans but you see a lot more “meh” response too.

Hard to say how much is due to delays; people seeing/learning more about the game and not liking what they learn; and/or the loss of exclusivity.

3 Likes

There was probably commitments in the Deathloop contract for promotions like this from Sony. I doubt they’re doing this by choice. We know from last week what a simple blog post costs developers, I imagine featuring in a State of Play had a fairly high value assigned to it.

2 Likes

It is probably even simpler than this and it is a lot to do with Sony getting their monies worth. They have spent money getting timed exclusivity afterall and it is going to be the other big game they will be pushing this fall.

If Horizon Forbidden West doesn’t get a release date update at Sony’s Thursday show that could be a sign not to expect it this year.

Xbox is getting a, what, 70% cut on every copy sold? Lmao it gotta hurt how those deals fizzled for PS.

5 Likes

I super curious to see how PS5 players respond to Deathloop, because even if it’s super successful, Deathloop II would never come to PS5, because that would be even more incentive to get a Series X/GamePass.

So if the game doesn’t do well sales wise, it gets second life on GamePass and PS5 players don’t get the sequel. It if does do good sales wise, PS5 players don’t get the sequel.

This is a fascinating Catch-22.

2 Likes

I find it weird the description calls Deathloop the “next violent game from Bethesda”. Pretty fucking vague wording. They pulled this with Dishonored too, promoting it as “presented by the people who made Skyrim and Fallout 3”. Arkane’s name deserves more respect. I’m glad they got it at the Xbox show.

8 Likes

Sony already confirmed that there won’t be any updates for God of War Ragnarok or Horizon II: Forbidden West on Thursday’s State of Play.

4 Likes

Well nobody is wondering about God of War since it’s locked in for next year at the earliest but everyone is wondering about Horizon Forbidden West because if that’s delayed Sony has only Deathloop.

They will also have Death Stranding DC which will launch in the Fall and they will still have the majority of people playing Far Cry 6, COD, BF 2042 and Dying Light 2 on PS4/PS5. Sony will be just fine just like Microsoft was last year. Besides, excluding 2013 and 2019, Sony stayed away from the Fall/Holiday season during the PS4 generation. Sure, you can add in DriveClub and GT Sport but come on.

I’m expecting Sony to do the same this generation with PS5 where Jan-Sept will be where they launch their exclusives while keeping the Fall/Holiday season to third parties which for them is normal.

I’m certain that Sony would like to get out Horizon 2 this Fall/Holiday but im staying with February 2022 as my prediction which is what im also personally hoping for.

1 Like

Sony had a bad 2021 if Horizon Forbidden West gets delayed. Both Sony and Nintendo will essentially be MIA this holiday. All conversations will be about Xbox and Gamepass. Even those multiplat games will cause headaches for Sony once Digital Foundry determines they play bettter on Xbox. This lack of a full press conference this year by Sony is kind of shocking honestly. I get that you want to be positive and I am hoping Sony can show us some games soon but this is an embarrassment of riches for Xbox with how many games they have announced versus the games that Sony has announced.

2021 in general for Sony would be good. Great first half. Weak second half. Opposite of Microsoft but still a good year. Sony and Nintendo can be MIA and yet, both will still outsell Xbox even with Halo and Forza. Games playing better on Xbox is great and what I personally want but for vast majority of consumers, they don’t care.

Has nothing to do with being positive and more to do with looking at Sony during the PS4 era for Oct/Nov/Dec. They tend to ignore that quarter. In terms of announced games, Xbox is slaughtering PlayStation but let’s see how many of them hit as oppose to miss. PS5 for the first year will have the better exclusives lineup in general. For me, it will be tied at 2 each going into 2022. Miles/Ratchet & Gears Tactics/Halo Infinite.

With or without Horizon 2, my Oct/Nov/Dec is set with Far Cry 6, Halo Infinite and Dying Light 2 so I prefer February 2022 as it’s better for me personally but we’ll see how it all plays out.

It should have been “From the Studio that brought you Dishonered, Prey and the highly anticipated upcoming title, Redfall…”

5 Likes

The more I know about Arkane, the more my love and respect for them grows.

Watching the Noclip documentary for Dishonored 2 made me realize how insane Arkane are at level building and design. We keep talking about R&C traversal to a different map – which seemed so revolutionary at the PS5 launch time, but is almost a gimmick (“by the power of the ssd”) after some retrospective thinking.

Compare that to map switching and level changes on the fly (on the prev gen hardware) in Dishonored 2 - 'crack in the wall" level, and the librarian’s house(?)

1 Like

It’s timed, but we don’t know for how long. They didn’t specified. We only know that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is timed until December.

1 Like