Starfield |OT| You're Finally Awake... In Space!

Todd Howard appeared in a podcast today and gave some new information on Starfield and working with Xbox Here’s a twitter thread summarizing some of the info. And here’s a link to the full podcast.

I’m really excited about the advancements they’re making with the companions. Todd Howard says while there will be plenty of companions, four of them will have a complex relationship system (both friendship and romantic).

13 Likes

So far we have seen spaceship customisation

But Todd just confirmed the space suit customisation as well

This game gonna be one hell of an RPG

2 Likes

He did make specific mention that he did not want to oversell the improvements to the companion dynamics. Just in case anyone was at risk of letting their imagination run wild.

The part I appreciate most is that he feels they could have made the November release date at a push but it woulda been risky, the way he phrases it just re-affirms this delay is about getting the game polished and avoiding an unhealthy work environment. Which is nice to hear.

5 Likes

So each Planets will be massive. Imagined if each of the 1000 planets is the size of Fallout 4 or 76 map crazy how massive this game will be.

I don’t even know how they will fit all that stuff onto a disc maybe we getting 3-4 disc in the physical copy lol

1 Like

Or one disc, a big ass download, and a bunch of game preservation dudes mad that they can’t play with only the disc.

Interview pretty much confirmed it was delayed for Polish. They are working with Xbox engineers.

1 Like

I still collect disc though, so i will buy the physical Xbox release and never open it and play the digital via gamepass.

4 Likes

The dev that leaked stuff about the game said it had tons of content and that’s not a real issue, which is amazing. The delay was seemingly down for more time to polish everything.

5 Likes

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that MS and Todd want the game to release as polished and refined as possible, both visually/performance and as a gaming experience as a whole which is fuckin’ great news.

Starfield is gonna be a behemoth of a release next year.

7 Likes

A Bethesda Game with little to no bug (or at least easy bug to bump to) will be a scary feat to behold.

3 Likes

Not surprising, as Fallout 4 has them, as do Elder Scrolls games in the form of enchanting. The big thing is if we’re going to be able to have a jack of all trades spacesuit(power armor in FO4, Resist magic in ES) that can be taken anywhere, or will we have a need for multiple across different areas.

1 Like

Not necessarily. I see it at 80-120GB max

They’ve spent 6 years of their lives working on this and it’s a game that will go on to be one of the biggest sellers and important console exclusives Xbox has

They should be taking all the time they need, personally I’m all for giving it the full year treatment

6 Likes

The planets will be procedurally generated which means a lot less data than hand crafted planets. It would be basically impossible to make a game with hand crafted planets of that size and would have to be streamed or something.

Its a good thing to remember that Skyrims landscapes were basically procedurally generated and then they went in and added hand crafted content

2 Likes

Meh, only if it’s truly necessary. If most bugs are gone and only things like a optional 60fps mode is left, just release it. That’s where I’m at with this. I truly hope Xbox will have a fantastic first half of 2023.

I just hope Microsoft will seriously promote the game. Would be a shame if it treats it like its other first party games.

Some people are really getting too hung up on the 1000 planets stuff

It will be there for tone, a very large amount of these planets will be barren nothingness and that’s the point, that’s what space and planets are

They are still going to have all the BGS handcrafted goodness we know and love, the other stuff is more for immersion and tone than anything else

I know people have issues with Xbox marketing for things but if there’s one game I expect them to go all out with it’s Starfield, plus Bethesda has never had issues with marketing their big games in Elder Scrolls and Fallout, this will be Xbox’s biggest game until Elder Scrolls 6 bar CoD

2 Likes

Yeah, I do not get why people would be upset if there are planets that are barren, because that is how it is in reality as well. Also, they are going for a somewhat realistic tone with this game.

2 Likes