Starfield could be the best game ever made - it won't change how this industry talks about Xbox

Just watched Jon’s video and I agree with everything he said which is why as I said in previous post that Microsoft simply needs to just cater to their own fan base in regards to building up the Xbox platform and eco-system.

For me personally, I want Phil and those at Microsoft to have that killer instinct because like it or not, console wars will always exist and regardless of who says what, Sony and Microsoft are competitors in console gaming. They just are and forever will be until one no longer manufacturers and releases console hardware.

Games wise, I do like Microsoft’s varied approach but I do want to see them showing gameplay off Xbox Series X because that’s what I spent $800 on and am playing on. Other than that, start integrating Bethesda into Microsoft sooner rather than later, get everything situated and in order. Also, be more strict with milestones and deadlines because it’s not about Sony or other companies. It’s about delivering for your fan base period. And if you don’t do that, you’re going to lose people and there’s no guarantee that you gain new fans to replace the old fans.

In other words, Microsoft needs to fight fire with fire while putting the console owners first and they can start accomplishing that by showing gameplay running off Xbox Series X at the Showcase. So while game wise, Microsoft should have more variety and do their own thing, there are some things that they should copy Sony because it fucking works and attracts gamers and consumers to your platform and eco-system which you need to accomplish first if you want to grow Game Pass. Those few things is showing games off Xbox Series X hardware, getting major third party AAA marketing deals and when you know there’s a gap between first party releases, go pay for a major AAA title to be timed exclusive. If gaming outlets or media or whoever bitches, so be it. Let them bitch because as said in Jon’s video, they’re all going to bitch anyway so let them. It won’t matter as long as the Xbox fan base is satisfied and happy.

3 Likes

No it would be like Phil saying to Aaron, “and to buy our console, you WON’T have to work 2 jobs!”

Which they didn’t do, obviously.

5 Likes

I would’ve laughed TBH lol…

Instead Don Mattrick went full “here’s your console for the people with no internet”….:woozy_face::man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

The worst part of all is the gaslighting being done with the dismissive “persecution complex” label being placed on anyone who calls out the bias.

7 Likes

Quality might have something to do with it. I don’t think there is anything preventing Microsoft from having a shot at it. Starfield could be it even if there is no father-child dynamics to be found.

Overall I’d say that some of you need to just relax a bit. The defensiveness is unneeded in my opinion.

1 Like

If quality games is the criteria why have none of the Forza horizons ever won?

9 Likes

Because they are up to some pretty fierce competition. Not that it would be shocking for a Forza game to win GOTY awards.

But there are other games that would deserve to win GOTY just as much.

Forza Horizon 5 didn’t even get nominated.

10 Likes

I would have included it at least. Maybe racing games are less likely to win GOTY ?

It Takes Two more than deserved to win regardless and wasn’t Psychonauts 2 nominated ?

If Starfield is as good as we want it to be then I don’t see why it would not at least stand of chance against whatever it’s compared to. As much as some of you want to make excuses for Microsoft not having the same presence as a competitor in the console space that shall not be named, it all comes down to games quality. If Microsoft released games like God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West last year the narrative would be different.

At it currently stands Microsoft have to prove they can compete games wise. And I’m sure they can. I’m speaking from a purely PC player by the way not that it makes me any more objective than any of you of course but lately the fact that some SIE games have come to PC allowed me to realize that Sony produces some really good stuff. I can see why they are so revered.

I think that’s part of the point, some genres being more likely to win than others. And the ones that are more likely tend to be the type that Sony focuses on.

14 Likes

Exactly.

4 Likes

Nothing prevents Microsoft from “winning” GOTY awards with a different game entirely. I don’t buy the idea that there is some sort of agenda against Microsoft in any way. It just does not make much sense to me. Conversely if Sony produced stuff like Redfall I can’t imagine the “media” praising them…

Clearly it came at the wrong time.

You are just skirting around the issue even when you yourself arrive at the correct conclusion. Forza Horizon 5, a 92 MC game which ended up with 30+ million players, did not even get nominated. Clearly there’s a bias.

12 Likes

Or perhaps there were other games that deserved a spot on that list just as much. You seem convinced Microsoft are facing more head wind than Sony but I don’t see why. Why would “the press” or “the media” have anything against Microsoft in particular ?

From a PC player’s perspective I don’t see why.

As a PC player you definitely should see why.

Microsoft.

The unholy alliance between the MS-hating PCMR and the PS cultists is why things are the way they are.

5 Likes

I’m not arguing in bad faith. I don’t understand why Microsoft in particular would be scrutinized more than any other company. I don’t think you have been in many PC circles to conclude that PC players don’t like Microsoft. That’s not been true for a while, since they have started doing the right thing and release their games on PC.

I’m a PC player and I have no urge to be tougher on Microsoft than any other company really.

Sony got blunders too, but they don’t take as much heat as MS.

We’ve got Jim Ryan interviews and it doesn’t make headlines. Every Spencer’s word make a headline.

There’s something wrong with the way these journos portray Sony/Nintendo and MS/Xbox. It just showed in plainsight for everyone to see with Redfall. No one can deny that. It’s so blatant.

14 Likes

I don’t know about specific quotes from certain executives but Redfall just…is not very good at all in my opinion. I’m not in the least surprised it was not received too well.

That does not mean Microsoft releases will suffer the same fate regardless of their quality. Gears 5 was well received and so was FH5. It’s not like the “gaming press” will shun Microsoft irrespective of their output.

It’s all on Microsoft to do better.

Let’s put it like this… Sony/Playstation is like LeBron (insert any other sports superstar). He’s got a record of greatness, earned respect blah blah. When he drives in the paint, he is getting the foul calls. Microsoft/Xbox is like everyone else, they don’t get the benefit of the doubt.

That benefit of the doubt has been earned through continued execution, that does not make it any more fair or even to the folks who don’t get the benefit of the doubt though.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. So maybe they should stop worrying about Xbox, that’s just stupid and plain console war stuff. Then maybe I can take these guys seriously.