Square Enix and Xbox

Damn, glad to hear the Pixel remasters are finally getting ported but dissapointing that doesn’t seem to include Xbox. I guess recent games have just didn’t sell well.

It’s more likely that they’re waiting for a check from Microsoft, but I also wouldn’t doubt Sony involvement behind the scenes ala FFXVI (6-month console exclusive)/FFVIIR (supposed to be a year console exclusive then revised multiple times now)/Forspoken (2-year console exclusive despite being able to unlock Xbox achievements by playing on Windows).

Possibly but I’d guess the sales had to be pretty bad that they’d be more reliant on the check to port it than the actual sales from being on Xbox :man_shrugging: I don’t think it’ll be like this forever - Xbox is building up it’s Japanese support all the time. I guess it’ll just take more time.

Why doesn’t Xbox just build a studio in Japan and fund it, and before you say something along the lines of “It’s hard” no, Microsoft has so much money, just do it. Build a studio from the ground up and pay people to manage the project so it goes well. Just build it from the ground up like The Initiative, stop over relying on acquisitions. There are people looking for jobs in gaming, give them those jobs.

Awful post.

As long as KH4 and DQ12 hit Xbox (and they will, SE doesn’t control what platforms those games release on,) I’m good.

Building studios from the group up is a very difficult task and it takes many years to get it running. They could potentially purchase smaller japanese studios and build up, but from ground up will be extremely difficult task especially in that market.

1 Like

you scream and moan but that’s exactly how studios are made. Someone came up with the idea of creating Insomniac Games or Obsidian Entertainment or InXile. Microsoft can build a studio from scratch and should

Pay someone who wants to manage the entire process like what they did with The Initiative. It doesn’t matter if it takes a long time, it shows that Microsoft cares and wants to improve. Build out a second studio for Tango Gameworks if you have to.

1 Like

Because acquisitions already have a built in staff and studio culture and will likely produce lot faster than one built from the ground up. I am a proponent of building a studio in Japan from the ground up and have been for years (since the late 360 days, when I thought that was what MS Osaka was) but this is just the reality of it.

As for Square Enix it’s obvious if MS isn’t paying them Gamepass money , they’re not going to put these games on the console. MS should just focus on cultivating relationships with Atlus and ensuring that Persona 6 ends up on Xbox day and date with the other versions. Square Enix is a lost cause.

2 Likes

This dude thinks a single studio built from the ground up can replace am entire publisher’s JRPGs (mostly) leaving the platform. : :joy:

The only way to “make up” for that dearth of content are acquisitions.

Microsoft is a trillion dollar company, they can build a studio from the ground up. If Nintendo and PlayStation have done it, so can Microsoft. Hire a good recruiter, pay them well and find people. There are thousands of young developers looking to get a hand in the game industry and that’s exactly why Tango Gameworks was created, look into creating 2 or 3 more offices for them and hire more people. Expanding studio size and building out teams is how you get more games.

Tencent is doing this, they hired Dan Houser from Rockstar to lead a new game studio from the ground up. This is Microsoft missing opportunities.

1 Like

They can barely build a studio from the ground up in the Initiative but you want them to build a gaming company from scratch in a region where Xbox is a dead market. (Let’s call it what it is, there’s no moral victories for Xbox in Japan, the brand is dead there)

That’s completely unfair to ask of Phil to do.

The best thing they can do is to continue investing in talent in that region or purchasing established studios.

5 Likes

Is it really safe ? Even if SE is not in charge of the IPs, it’s still could skip Xbox. Disney doesn’t really care if a game is exclusive or not. I mean, Kotor is skipping Xbox.

In Japan DQ 10 offline is skipping Xbox.

A lot of squares original shit has been kinda mid anyway. They are just pumping out remasters and remakes of already good games.

I will never believe the “Sony is paying Square to -only- skip Xbox” tinfoil conspiracy, I’m not gonna believe it till a document showing that’s the case leaks. There has been Square games revealed on State of Play like Diofield and Star Ocean which have come to Xbox. Meanwhile there’s games like Octopath 2 which was revealed on Nintendo Direct and doesn’t even have Sony marketing skipping Xbox.

There’s been two Final Fantasy games on Xbox this year so clearly not…

Atlus just doesn’t have the same volume of output. One fantastic game every few years doesn’t make up for missing out on dozens of okayish - great games from Square. I’d have less of a problem if MS was gonna start funding ports of all of Atlus’s backlog but I don’t think that’s happening

The most interesting JRPG publisher to me is actually NISA but that seems even less likely than Square, so I would say they need to do something about Square. And doing nothing and hoping Sony acquires them (not happening) is not the answer.

1 Like

We are referring to next year, there are no FF or JRPG games from SE currently announced for Xbox.

Excuse me?

So we are now ultramegaok if things taking a lot of time? Is this a recent development or policy at xboxera dot com? I was not aware.

1 Like

Agreed. Diofield and SO are both games by external studios. SE is just waiting for the Game Pass incentive.

Acquire Square Enix, cancel all their projects and move them onto CoD production, free all current CoD devs and move them onto new things. Profit?

In addition to that, asking anyone to build a studio from the ground up is so difficult. The last times that Sony has done it was 2002 for MLB and then 2014 for Pixelopus. Some of their other founded studios have closed already. I bet no one knows what Pixelopus even released without looking it up.

1 Like