Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

That’s why I think any Xbox Portable won’t happen until the launch of Next-Gen where it is an explicit performance target for developers.

I’m not sure if they could do an Xbox Next Portable with UnDocked and Docked profiles. If they have that they could make the Docked profile as optional. That way devs would have 2 required platforms [Xbox Next Portable Undocked and Xbox Next Series X] with 1 optional platform mix [Portable Docked]. I think developers would love to have a portable platform with more advanced platform functionality than what Nintendo is willing to do.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you mean by a ton. It’s certainly not the case that the Xbox One is incapable of playing a ton of the current Xbox library. It’s certainly less than single digits the number of current Xbox library that can’t be played on the Xbox one either natively nor through Xcloud.

As for naming of the Xbox, if Xcloud adoption by third parties isn’t overwhelming, I suppose they can call the device Xbox One Two or something haha.

Only a switch like device with Docked and handheld mode is possible for this gen

Play any series S game while in docked mode (60 watt power package)

Play optimised first party games, xbox one games and any third party game which wants to support the third SKU (30 Watt power package)

I believe it is worth doing it. Also, this device will cost $500 and above.

You forgot Xcloud for the 30 watt mode. A 60 watt device is going to be massive lol.

I am only talking about the native solution

And fitting a 60watt package in a handheld is not a problem. Problem is the battery life to support it

It need to be built a little different in docked mode. Maybe fans on the docking station

Another one enters the market

I would say after seeing this performance at $800 price point with all the additional features of keyboard etc… The xbox series s portable could be priced easily at about $500

The performance and thermals are getting closer and closer to reality

This thing is pulling up total system power of 50watts for Forza Horizon 5 at native 1080p medium settings and around 75 FPS. Series S pulls up around 90 watts max

Still far away… but hope is still there

The rdna3 APUs will hit market at around Nov 2023…

Holiday 2024 seems like the best chance we may have what we want…

3 Likes

How does RDNA3 compare with RDNA2 power consumption?

Performan dce looks like it’s almost there but 1 hour of battery life at 28W is kinda concerning.

AMD numbers say it is around 50% more effecient ( so basically there on APU side

Will have to look up DF analysis to see how much it is improved in actual game performance

I am not sure if 1 hour battery is concerning or not

I don’t see myself holding such a heavy device (500gms +) for more then 1 hour

Also, when docked it will have no issue

So basically a series S with an option of 1 hour portable playtime is a good deal for me at $200 premium

Edit: also, the 1 hour will be in most demanding of the games

Portable consoles attract casual games like platformer and cute Indi titles which are low power budget. So battery life will increase there

1 Like

I would think you’d want to have at few hours of battery life for a portable. I’d probably only use a device like this on a plane, where I need to entertain myself for a while.

Obviously could carry an external battery in that situation though, and maybe you’re right that it’s too heavy for any long session.

You may play Hellblade 2 for one hour or Hades 2 for 3 hours on your flight… Atleast there is a choice

But without portable, you will have no choice or go laggy streaming option of xcloud :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha, I suppose that it true. That said, I don’t think they release a device that has battery life like that.

I will give you one more hope… Optimised games from xbox first party studios in portable mode. Now you can play Hellblade 2 for 2 hours :wink:

1 Like

Series S portable would need at least 1440p120 display with VRR, in my opinion or it’s a no buy. Don’t want my games to be compromised artificially like that.

It won’t be… The native display would be 1080p 60… But while docked it will simply act as a regular series S

1440p on a small screen is overkill. Xbox as we know, always outputs in 4k which downscales to what monitor it is connected to.

I see no compromise happening.

1 Like

So the Lenovo Legion play has a 7inch 1080p screen with HDR10. That’s a configuration I’ve never seen before.

I asked Phawx and Evilboris on Era if there are any technical hurdles in having a portable screen with HDR and VRR and they said there are none. It’s a matter if companies are willing to pay for a custom screen.

So 7-8 inch 1080 OLED with HDR10 and 40-60hz freesync range is perfect for a first gen Xbox portable.

4 Likes

I Was just checking out potential for switch 2 and have some exciting tidbits

It is an arm based chip so I was trying to compare it with latest Snapdragon gen 2 chipset

Current switch chipset is tegra X1

Tegra X1 takes 15 watt TDP vs 9w for snap

It has 0.5 tflops of GPU performance vs 2.7 tflops of Snapdragon

Mind you, this performance at very low power comes from the fact that tegra X1 is a 20nm chipset and snap is at 4nm

Also, the CPU has better base clock and memory bandwidth is also very large on snap

Nintendo might pull of a console very close to performance of a series S i believe with in 20-15 watt total system power (buy close I mean around 70%) and AI tech like DLSS might close that gap as well

Isnt it a hybrid? Not in a million years will their handheld have that level of performance of series s. Nintendo arent going to charge more than 400 bucks for the system

Read my post again… It won’t have that much raw power … But DLSS can fill that gap

I currently have a smartphone which holds thrice the raw performance of a Nintendo switch and it is priced at $300 only

Also my smartphone comes with extra features like three cameras in rear and one in front plus have very expensive screen as well at 120hz

A switch 2 GPU with atleast 5-6 times of the performance compared to current switch is actually very possible

Possible but improbable. Ill believe it when i see it

Nintendo are thr most stubborn and cheap company out. Should have released a switch pro by now. No instead well put our games out on a fucking potato and force people to emulate the games to make them run better

While I do agree that an upgraded switch with a lot more power is likely… a few things about your phone…

1. Almost all phones at higher power levels are subsidized by the carriers significantly. Its not really $300, they are taking an upfront lost usually of at least 50% to sell at that

2. A portable console needs a lot more work behind the scenes than most phones. Most phones are a stock board made in bulk and shipped with Android and a fancy shell. For a portable console, you need a custom board, full sdk, OS, dev support, dev kits, 3rd party licensing, on and on for it. This all costs money that in part is paid for through the purchase of the hardware.

3. Portable consoles need to last a lot longer and need extremely high durability compared to phones. Something like the switch will be dropped, a lot. Its expected in part because they are focused at a younger demographic. They need to be constructed and need to use materials that enhance their durability far beyond what a phone has. This isn’t cheap to do.

TLDR - Its not fair to say “my phone is XYZ powerful and cost $$$ so a portable console should be the same price and at least as powerful”. Doing so ignores the differences in products and what is required to build and launch them.

2 Likes