Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

Yeah, I’m with you. I’d much rather pay up to $300 for dedicated hardware than ~$100 for a controller grippy thing and stream to my phone.

Edit: That sounds sarcastic but I’m 100% sincere.

Issue is $300 device is simply not possible… So only a xCloud device makes sense to play the games in your hand

1 Like

MS is leaving easy market share on the table by not exploring the potential of Windows Gaming OS on these handhelds

It is high time we get Gamepass OS on windows PCs

Yeah, I understand that, I meant I’d happily pay up to $300, and would have to weigh pros and cons a lot more and take specs into consideration beyond that.

Did they ever fix PC Game Pass? I know they improved it but I can’t remember if it was conclusively fixed or not. The only game I play on PC is Vampire Survivors :sweat_smile:

It is lot better now… But that’s not what I meant

I actually want them to bundle the Gamepass OS as a feature with Gamepass PC subscription where they actually invest in making drivers support better for gaming.

Something what valve is doing with steam deck os and it’s gaming related features

They can make it a an OS business under the Gamepass branding for gamers

1 Like

My reasoning was more “focus on fixing games on Windows since you should have a ton of control over that, and it affects way more people than the ones who would be willing to run another OS just for games”

Whenever I see a new handheld in the market my hopes for xbox handheld rises again

These are just getting better and better. And this company has released like 3+ models this year alone

60 frames at 800p is highly possible within the max power range

And also how ridiculous optimised FH5 is, 1080p 60 medium settings at just 15 watts :exploding_head: . My eyes lit up when I saw those numbers although it’s just one highly optimised game.

That said, RDNA3 is being announced tomorrow

Lots of hopes for these APUs on how much efficient they may become in 2023

Great scope ahead for a potential xbox handheld in 2024

Series S handheld dream has not died yet for me :wink:

6 Likes

While that is definitely the dream, ever since I learned how easy it is to run Windows on a Steam Deck, I’ve been ruminating on getting one. I suspect I’ll cave at some point next year. I need to do a bit of research first in terms of how many of the games on PC Game Pass will run on it.

2 Likes

I don’t think there will be an Xbox Portable, but there might be a time when we can run Xbox OS on various hardware configurations. Hopefully ARM too.

1 Like

I feel like if there were a portable Xbox system, certain developers would be complaining about the chips.

Be-because potato chips. Like the uh, the tweet. I’m going back to bed.

I think they are always going to complain, talk about how bad the tech on it is, while some of them make miracle switch versions of the game.

Because until recently, bashing Xbox allowed you to get the feeling of self-validation due to a lot of Sony cultists cheering for you when you were doing that.

But Xbox is growing stronger, even media started to get a push back if the articles are too biased as Xbox community has become stronger.

Imo there is no need for a portable. They should work with valve to get gamepass on steam and the steam deck

Short sighted.

The engagement numbers for steam deck per user is through the roof.

If Xbox portable v1 sells 5-10 million units and those users have high engagement, all sub to Gamepass, it’s equivalent of selling 20-40 million consoles.

Steam deck will not likely break 3 million units. Considering the vast majority of steam decks owners will only play steam games, it’s not a worthwhile endeavor.

3 Likes

Any statistics or engagement and amount of sold steam decs?

I don’t see Microsoft putting Game Pass in Steam. But as Jez mentioned, Microsoft might be looking in creating a custom Windows OS for Steam Deck.

Are there any numbers for how many new Steam customers the deck brought in? If it’s mainly selling to existing Steam users, the engagement numbers don’t mean all that much.

Would an Xbox portablr attract new people to Xbox/GP or just allow existing users another device to play on?

More engagement time per user is monetization of your existing customer base. It’s the most reliable way to increase revenue. There is no official data from Valve, but I’ve been following the steam deck subreddit and the official era thread, and a common theme is that owners are playing more games than before.

If the average Xbox portable owner buys 2 extra games a year compared to the average Xbox customer, and let’s say there is 10 million Xbox portable owners, that’s at least half a billion a year in revenue.

I have a steam deck, and as a parent of a 2 year old it’s been a blessing.

5 Likes

Another advantage of portable is that it comes with its own screen

Perfect for kids as you mentioned

It could be expansive then series X but will not require an investment in a monitor or TV for a new gamer

1 Like

Most recently Steam Deck reached 1 million units sold. Likely will end up selling 2-3 million units before the successor comes out.

Xbox portable is going to sell at least 20 million units. Even the Vita sold 16 million.

if 75% of the 20 million portable owners sub to gamepass, that’s nearly 3 billion in ARR retained + gained.

1 Like

PSP sold 80m+ and Switch sold 100m+. Steam Deck 3m sales are not much.

It would sold that way if priced right but the proper specs won’t be cheap at all. Steam Deck costs around 400$ (right?) while being sold at loss. That’s a lot. Even switch olend is 350$ and they are both are much weaker than Series S that is also sold at loss.

I do curios of Switch Prop specs though. And pricing.