Steam Deck (Handheld) Revealed

Has anyone received their email inviting them to purchase yet? I was in the December 2021 batch before they delayed the release, but no email yet.

Does it use a special port for charging?

I thought I saw a link somewhere that would show you where you were at in the preorder queue (as in, what quarter). Google skills are failing me, does anyone know about this?

What you mean by special port?

It only has one USB C port on it for charging and peripherals

I think there was renders of dock station with some custom port or something

Steam Deck is:

• 4 core/8 thread CPU @ 2.4 - 3.5ghz
  • 8 CU RDNA 2 GPU @ 1 - 1.2Ghz. (1.6 TFLOPS)
  • 16 GB LPDDR5 (around 88GB/s)

For comparison the Series S is:

• 8 core/16 thread CPU @ 3.5Ghz (single threaded) or 3.4GHZ with SMT (all 16 threads)
  • 20 CUs RDNA 2 GPU @ 1.565 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU (4 TFLOPS)
  • 10GB RAM (8 GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s)
1 Like

Oh yes, it does have it… Not released yet

Gabe delivering the Steam Deck himself… But people not caring about it :joy::rofl:

If you guys are planning to play Destiny 2 on Steam Deck, then don’t do the alternative. They will ban you.

300? hahaha. DOuble that and we can start off with one with 10GB SSD maybe. A series S equivalent of a portable would be close to 800 bucks and that’s not factoring in the SSD

Mine arrived today after many months of anticipation, and yet … it’s been brought to my attention that they’re selling on ebay for around £2000. £2000! I had zero intentions of being any kind of scalper when I pre-ordered this, but that is money I could put to much better use than playing Factorio on the toilet. I can’t decide what to do. I think I’m probably just going to keep it, but it almost feels irresponsible to do so.

After selling a bunch of old Xbox consoles, I think I’m going to bite the bullet and pick up a steam deck. Going to install Windows and use it as a Game Pass on the go machine. Also has the added benefit of being able to switch between Windows and SteamOS when a game isn’t available on either OS.

I haven’t been following along very much on this, but maybe you have. Is there an official, warranty supportive, way of installing Windows on a Steam Deck? And what about a dual boot that you’re talking about, can that be done and still not void the warranty?

Thanks.

1 Like

You can install Windows 10 or 11 on to a micro SD card using a PC. Pop it in to the Steam Deck and boot straight into it Windows without touching the internal memory.

2 Likes

Wow, very cool. Thanks for posting that.

1 Like

Yep! Really does give you the best of both worlds without messing about with the warranty.

1 Like

My Steam Deck is basically a Emulation Station machine and it rules.

1 Like

What a day I’ve had! Checked my tracking info to see where my SD was and noticed they said it was delivered 2 days ago! Called the local couriers as I was convinced it had been stolen. After a few hours on and off the phone we finally discovered they delivered it to the wrong address and put it in their lock box! £350 device sitting in an unlocked lock box where anyone could have nabbed it.

Anyway, just finished setting up windows on a SD card and enjoying… Vampire Survivors :joy: Going to try Persona 5 on it later tonight and maybe some Death Stranding.

It’s a big boy but real nice in the hands.

1 Like

Awesome! Good call keeping an eye on it and following up. Hope you have a great time with it :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks man! Looking forward to seeing what games it can run. Downloading Death Stranding right now. I’ll probably need to invest into a bigger SD card as the one I’m using is only 128G.

2 Likes