Sony: "We expect that Microsoft will abide by contractual agreements and continue to ensure Activision games are multiplatform"

Nah, usually they are negotiated every 3 years, like FIFA also. At worst their current contract is until 2023 imo.

1 Like

In the short term, no. In the long term…pray that new Twisted Metal bangs Sony.

It could be game by game, new every 2, 3, 5, or 10. Unless Grubb, Jason, or whoever does some digging and gets the contract terms we’re in just shooting in the dark.

4 Likes

Didn’t really matter if PS5 gets a few more COD when everyone knows what’s going to happen in the future. This is not a Deathloop situation.

3 Likes

I find this rich because these are the same guys that go and extend deals to block games coming to Xbox.

4 Likes

Even if it takes to 2024 to be exclusive, the fact the game will go to Game Pass day one is too much hard to ignore factor. Imagine, paying for only $9.99, play on xcloud, and play anywhere. That’s huge already.

2 Likes

Part of the contractual obligations includes a means for escaping the contract for both sides. Should Microsoft desire, they could opt to exit and pay the obligated costs.

Not saying they would, but when spending $69 Billion what’s a few more to have a cleaner exit?

6 Likes

True too, and it’s not like a Deathloop or GT situation, those games are insanely small time compared to the monster that is CoD.

Take that billion and go acquire more lol

Microsoft would have gone through all Activision Blizzard’s contracts and agreements during disclosure and still went through with the deal. Doubt there’s anything there to worry about. My guess is worst case scenario is the deal runs out 2023/24

5 Likes

We’ll see with Modern Warfare 2 this year, it’ll arguably be the biggest COD game this generation if it’s cross gen.

1 Like

Of course MS will honor the existing contracts, but those deals don’t last forever. Not mention their deal is with code, I believe grubb has theorized that call of duty might be getting a break and studios might get a chance to develop different games. So Yeah I think sony is just trying to calm their investors down and possibly their current customers and partners.

1 Like

Why? The next COD this year is guaranteed to be on playstation. The deal will only go through in the first half of next year and until then it will be business as usual at Activision.

1 Like

Grubb heard that recently ?

I feel like Grubb speculates and other podcasts turn his statements into something more.

3 Likes

If it’s not written as an article by Grubb then its speculation. Grubb has said that multiple times, yet others tend to ignore that.

Do yall see CoD launching on Game Pass this year?

Nah, I think once the deal is complete you’ll see that. I think with Sony still having the marketing it may make that tricky

I’m pretty confident in that Activision and Playstation will still have a marketing deal for the next 2 years at the very least so no. I can see the older COD’s dropping into Gamepass though.

1 Like

Must be tragic for Sony that they cant even pivot to Battlefield cause that series is a mess right now sadly lmao.

4 Likes

I guess is when its close or after the deal goes through. Similar to the Zenimax deal