Sony: "We expect that Microsoft will abide by contractual agreements and continue to ensure Activision games are multiplatform"

No I don’t think so. Depends if the deal is done sooner than we think though, if it is then yes.

The funny thing is that whatever marketing Sony does for CoD will be marketing an Xbox franchise, even casuals know that CoD future is on Xbox hehe.

2 Likes

They got Splitgate !

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

The Halo KILLER BABY

I’ve seen some speculation the COD deals are on 4 year intervals and the last deal was renewed in 2019. If that’s accurate, then it runs until 2023.

Who knows what the reality is. * shrug *

2 Likes

This year COD is a no brainer

2023 COD is a possibility

2024 is a stretch

2025 and after? FORGET IT

You can tell Sony is in a mass panic right now…things are not looking good and morale is probably at an all time low…it’s not just losing big third party titles but also the fact that at any time MS can scoop up a giant publisher and there isn’t anything Sony can do about it.

We may very well be witnessing the end of Playstation

1 Like

they lost 20 billion since the announcement in stock. They have to say something when you lose that much money. Everyone knows agreements will be honored. The stock price for sony is going up so far today. So the statement seems to have worked to ensure investors.

1 Like

Come on let’s not go that far lol.

PlayStation will survive but I don’t envy Jim Ryan’s position.

Sony is getting squeezed and the only path forward is to increase investment massively. The only issue is that it is still going to be foolhardy. They also already earn a ton of money from PlayStation, and spending more money might only mean they stay roughly where they are. I can tell you for free that is not a good position to be in.

5 Likes

Like others have said, I think this is just damage control on investors by sony. Im sure Microsoft has the funds to get out of the deal if they wanted to which they should in my opinion.

I also wanted to add that as a PS guy, this site has been extremely less venomous than other places and I appreciate it.

5 Likes

Look at it more like “the end of PlayStation as we know it”. The rules have just changed and PlayStation needs to find a big tech buyer to compete. I think once a big tech company owns PlayStation then they can be reborn. It’s hard to say how long Sony remains independent and also it’s hard to predict exactly which of the 4 obvious tech companies will come away withe the Sony prize. The PlayStation brand will live on under new ownership.

1 Like

Im just going to repost this:

Sony Cannot ‘Answer’ The Death Star Microsoft Is Building For Xbox (forbes.com)

This article hits the nail on the head. In the here and now, Sony is more than fine and will be for the duration of this generation. Beyond that is where things start to get a bit dubious for them as they are currently structured.

4 Likes

The author makes a critical error when he hasn’t comprehended the impact this will have on PlayStation Plus subscriber numbers. Casual shooter gamers will be moving to Xbox and with it PlayStation Plus will lose 10’s of millions of subscribers. We have two companies going in opposite directions with their online subscription numbers and he has failed to make that analysis because it technically hasn’t happened yet … but of course that will be the case, it’s an easy prediction.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but it also doesnt take into account any moves sony may make/try to make to soften the blow. Deals with Bungie on their next game, reviving other franchises, etc. Not saying any of that will work, but an effort will be made.

I think they’ll look to Bungie and Destiny.

A lot of the publishing deals that Sony has signed appear to be studios with fps pedigree. I am sure they are already building their own IP in this area.

Sonys next move should be consolidating their position around strengths, sell off things that aren’t core to their business or as beneficial. Repurpose that cash for acquisitions. Run more efficiently and in more of a strategic overall direction.

2 Likes

Sony is more than Playstation. Like they make top of the line TV’s, they are big on music and movies.

But in terms of Playstation its not gonna look good for Media Molecule for example as I said like 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

I’m of the opinion that Sony should just stay the course. If you look 5-10 years out, with how far behind in preparation you are against what MS has built and the capabilities of other possible players (Apple, Google, Tencent, Facebook, Amazon), you settle into a niche. Take the Nintendo path.

Their studios make great games and they make great consoles. Keep running a healthy, high quality, console game business. Just do the thing you are good at.

2 Likes

Yes but playstation is their money cow and often pulls their other business areas along financially. They’ll need to streamline further and plan their future out more around their strengths.

They have business that lose money today, may want to jettison some of those.

They may also want to focus their game investment and cut back on some long off payoffs like VR.

This delays action. Xbox is building its service and acquiring huge ips. Maybe your solution works to a degree but that’s certainly the “hard way”. Why not just go the easy route and get acquired by a big tech company and compete directly with Xbox. PlayStation and the rest of Sony are a coveted brand. Sony could both name it’s price and it’s terms. Sony would maintain control for the most part, with the backing of a big tech company Sony and PlayStation would reach new heights.

As Black Widow would say, “Nothing last forever.” Who knows. Maybe Sony could very well be the Sega or Atari of the group if everyone else like Tencent or even Netflix gets really serious. But that’s something to think about in the future. Right now, it’s normal. For now.

3 Likes