Sony: "We expect that Microsoft will abide by contractual agreements and continue to ensure Activision games are multiplatform"

Pretty sure they signed a 10 year marketing deal with PS in 2015 so I’m not surprised at this.

They don’t sign deals for that long

4 Likes

MS: Cancels all Call of Duty games

MS: We are now announcing our new series “Call of: Duty”

3 Likes

they did with star wars and EA to be fair, haha

“That’s all for now….

Check the stocks. We should be fine, right?”

1 Like

Well that’s exclusive rights to making a game not a marketing deal

1 Like

I thought I had heard the marketing deal was up this or next year from a podcast. Don’t know how true that is.

They can market it on Xbox

For sure but I’m just saying it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Activision did a 7 year deal with Xbox during the 360 days. I highly doubt they do these deals on a year by year basis. We’re approaching 7 years now since they did a deal with Playstation in 2015. We’ll know by Summer if they reupped or not.

1 Like

Even if that was the case, I think Microsoft would just buy out the remaining time of the marketing with Sony, both Deathloop and Ghostwire aren’t too big of a deal to get on Xbox early by buying out contracts. But COD is definitely an IP I see Xbox pushing to get exclusive as soon as possible.

2 Likes

lol sony is shook

I honestly would be in favour of that. It’s not for me that I find joy in “nope, you only have PS5, you can’t get these games anymore, haha” well, except for some truly disgusting fanboys, lol, so if this were a realistic scenario, great. But really, does Xbox as a whole miss much by not getting FF anymore? It sucks for the gamers, just like those timed deals, but for Xbox as a business when they now also own AB, or soon?

If the contract is says they get DLC and marketing rights then it is what it is. They’ll just have to pull a Destiny and get clever with the twitter marketing.

They won’t bother terminating the contract since the big moneymaker (Warzone) is likely to stay multiplatform anyway. Also unlike Deathloop and Ghostwire, Xbox actually gets the game day and date so there’s even less incentive for them to terminate. Maybe the deal ends in 2023 but signing deals in 5 or 10 year increments makes more sense in my mind. We’ll just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Sony will have a lot of extra money to spend on something other than COD now.

What if MS says: “Sorry folks, no more mainline COD for some time. We want to give the teams more room to breath and allow them to bring the franchise to the Golden Age (360)” so to fuck Sony over? Usualy these kind of contracts runs on time and not releases so MS could justify the series pause with “New menagement, new rules”.

In that case Sony has nothing to worry about.

I think they will have less money, being the de facto plarform for COD granted huge money vs marketing budgets.

1 Like

Can’t imagine that marketing deals are signed for 10 years, alot of things can change in that time.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Let’s not forget Minecraft being Microsoft’s property helped out a lot to gather more money to have these purchase possible. I don’t mean like they can’t never afford, but they definitely now has extra pocket change to not worry over. Soon, Warzone money is going to help even more financial need down the road.

It’s a lot, but maybe Sony is well aware of this and that’s why they said what they said. Making sure they honor these deals which would mean they have nothing to worry about for many years. Can’t have been a nice thing to see for MS before making the deal, but they weren’t going to say no the deal because of that.

That is, if any of that is true about ten years.