Sony could go BIG at TGA, and Xbox HAS to do the same AKA I'm going crazy without news

I really don’t get the “concern” because just how much video games can one person play? I mean if you have the time and money to get to a point where you have any of the consoles and you are like “damn I’ve played everything on this thing” what the heck is stopping you from buying a different console or PC?

Awards wise, im expecting TLOUP2 to win GOTY but im hoping for Tsushima to win.

My biggest gaming events are as follows -

1. Xbox Series X/S launch
  2. PlayStation 5 launch
  3. ZeniMax acquisition
  4. Xbox Games Showcase July/PlayStation Games Showcase June
  5. PlayStation Games Showcase September/Xbox Games Showcase May
  6. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla launch
  7. Ghost of Tsushima launch
  8. Immortals Fenyx Rising launch
  9. Outriders/Gotham Knights reveals
  10. All other games and events

I personally think it’s exciting if The GAs are used for big surprises. Also the idea of a MGS and SH remake excites me because those games are 3 generations old, originally created at the dawn of console 3D gaming.

I realize that it’ll be used for console war cannon fodder but that goes with the territory.

From my perspective the only reason why people should have felt down on the Xbox was because they were indeed not offering a lot of new and interesting experiences a few years ago. Prior to the purchase of Obsidian, Undead Labs, and Ninja Theory there was good reason to feel that the brand didn’t have much of a future. Their purchases confirmed that Microsoft was not leaving the gaming space.

Prior to the purchase of Zenimax, I did feel that Microsoft was still “behind” the competition. Sony’s 2018, 2019, and 2020 releases resulted in multiple “killer-apps” per year. But now with the Zenimax acquisition it feels like there is going to be parity between both brands in terms of exclusive content. From 2021 onwards we can expect 1-2 system-selling pieces of software per year for both brands.

In effect Sony made Microsoft a better gaming company. And in turn Microsoft will make Sony a better gaming company.

So having Sony leverage the The GAs with a lot of exciting news is part of the “rubber banding” going on between these two companies. I think those two announcements would be amazing and I also think that it would spur Microsoft to respond with their own big news at a later date.

Had MS not bought Zenimax and the other studios, I could see where you’re coming from. Because the competition that exists here would be so very asymmetrical, with Sony well beyond Microsoft. That disparity leads to a weaker industry, a monopoly In the traditional games market, and no real push to create better hardware and software going forward.

4 Likes

Where is this Bluepoint MGS stuff coming from. Is Bluepoint all of a sudden big enough that they could be doing two at the same time? They just released Demon’s Souls a month ago.

I somehow highly doubt Sony is going to have all that at TGA, and I don’t think the Silent Hill And MGS remakes are real.

Also Ms seems to really like showing stuff at TGA and the fact they even debuted their console their makes me think this year could be huge as well, especially with XO20 not happening and needing a replacement event!

Whether or not the organizers feel that way, doesn’t change the fact that many viewers don’t feel the same.

How the organizers feel seems like such a non-important aspect of TGA marketing. Imo.

The thread premise comes off as incredibly insecure, almost awkwardly so. >.>

5 Likes

The hell is this thread. I was expecting something with more facts and hard evidence. Instead we got the same threads we got during the last couple States of Play and the PS5 reveal. Everything is gonna be fine. Assume some games are gonna be PS5 timed for sometime and life is gonna be easier (tho is kinda unfair for me to say anything considering my PS5 is arriving next week lol)

1 Like

I try to get away from twitter nonsense but this forum been a disaster the past 2 days with stuff like this.

1 Like

I’m amazed mods allow this type of concern trolling.

Hey @ProgStopper do you wanna re-word your title to be less…inflammatory?

2 Likes

Because Geoff’s slight Playstation preference isn’t something adults should take so personally.

Ok, well you’re wrong.

Okay. A little more venting and a little less inflammatory.

Honestly I don’t see Sony having that much to show, I think it’s more speculation just like their two showcases that didn’t have much in the way of surprises.

I really want to see Fable. It’s been in development I think for over 4 years now. I was hoping that game would be plenty far along to actually show it off by now but that CG trailer and July suggested the game was still years off from release.

As more hype grows around platformers, I am still hoping that Microsoft will develop a new Banjo-Kazooie game eventually and/or a full remake of the first two games in a collection. I’m not holding my breath but at least Microsoft knows there are interests in some of their older IP.

Kind of curious about the Initiative’s game but the rumors so far very much has it at 50/50 whether or not it would be a game that I would care about. Guess I’ll have to wait and see what the game actually even is at this point but definitely looking forward to seeing it. Stuff like Elderscrolls 6, Starfield, etc will also be cool to see. Avowed someday as well.

Microsoft has a LOT of content in development. Just wish we could see some of it even if early so that we can have stuff to be hyped for and stuff to actively discuss rather then nothing but speculation month after month. It’s time to show some stuff. They have a crap ton of stuff in development. I know they have more then enough ready to be shown at this point. Hype us up!

Not gonna talk about the framing of the thread per se since it’s been addressed, but will say,

1. I can relate to going a bit crazy without news, not now since for me this is the usual time of year with barely any news and it coincides with a lot more games being out to play, so that’s what i’ve mostly been doing playing games and enjoying my series s. but around june/july I was for a few weeks, along with the state of the world, at my utmost nadir of just wanting news/a distraction, and being summarily a bit disappointed in what we got. So again I can relate.

2. Yea I think microsoft will have something notable, i think it feels weird if they were willing to give TGAs the series x reveal last year and hellblade 2 and then this year they show…next to nothing.Obviously they can’t really “top” that, but the metrics from last years TGAs was good, and it’s especially not like this year they’ve had an event like X0XX just before either. Would be really surprised if this year they only had dlc or a gamepass ad/reveal as some have speculated/set expectations to.

3. Generally when it comes to TGAs of the big 3, Sony is by far the one I least expect to go big at the TGAs historically unless I am forgetting something, I wouldn’t pay too much mind to rumors with Sony ones I always find while some have very much been on the money (FF16) , a lot have very often turned out more often than the rest to be bogus in my experience.

1 Like

Ok, well you’re wrong.

lmao no this isn’t all going to happen.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself:

• Xbox is losing the power narrative, temporary as it may be.

• With Halo’s delay, I’m a bit starved for something tangible out of first-party, especially gameplay.

• Intentional or otherwise, Xbox set the precedence that fans should expects news from TGA with the XSX reveal.

Game Pass is great. Consoles are selling out. I’m digging my XSX. But Xbox is struggling with optics. It’s really not a big ask for them to show up with something significant. Give fans a game to chew on as we bide our time.

I’ll consider it a missed opportunity otherwise, especially if PlayStation comes swinging and all Xbox has is yet another showing of Psychonauts 2 or just Gears 5 DLC. I think we should set the bar a little higher for Xbox.

3 Likes