Sony buying Bungie for $3.6 billion, Destiny 2 and future projects will remain multiplatform

Originally published at: Sony acquires Halo creators Bungie for 3.6 billion dollars - XboxEra

It truly is acquisition season, it seems. Today Sony and Bungie have announced that Sony Interactive Entertainment is acquiring Bungie in a 3.6 billion dollar deal.

Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio which will self-publish their titles. In their press release they state the following: ”We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.​”

Bungie has limitless potential to unite friends around the world.

We have found a partner in PlayStation that shares our dream and is committed to accelerating our creative vision of building generation-spanning entertainment.

Our journey begins today.https://t.co/PLuVn48zdy pic.twitter.com/kAhRbAg3vD

— Bungie (@Bungie) January 31, 2022

This is the entire Bungie press release:

BUNGIE JOINS SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT  (“SIE”)​

We believe games have limitless potential, and that to do anything worthwhile in entertainment, we must bet big on our vision, on our studio, and on our incredible team of trusted creators who build unforgettable worlds that truly matter to people.​
In SIE, we have found a partner who unconditionally supports us in all we are and who wants to accelerate our vision to create generation-spanning entertainment, all while preserving the creative independence that beats in Bungie’s heart. Like us, SIE believes that game worlds are only the beginning of what our IPs can become. Together, we share a dream of creating and fostering iconic franchises that unite friends around the world, families across generations, and fans across multiple platforms and entertainment mediums.​
Today, Bungie begins our journey to become a global multi-media entertainment company. ​

CREATIVE FREEDOM ​

Since taking flight in 1991, Bungie has always charted the future with our own star map – a path that is driven by our people and for our community. We are continuing that journey with new worlds in development, and we can’t wait to share them with you. ​
With SIE, the potential for our universes is unlimited. Our future games will take bold steps into unexplored spaces for Bungie, continue to push the boundaries of what is possible, and will always be built on a foundation of creating meaningful, lifelong friendships and memories.​
We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.​
With SIE’s support, the most immediate change you will see is an acceleration in hiring talent across the entire studio to support our ambitious vision. If this speaks to you, and you want to help us put a dent in the universe, we are hiring across all disciplines for Destiny 2 and for all new worlds beyond. ​

THREE DECADES AND COUNTING​

What makes our worlds come to life is our community and our people in the studio. Our people are the soul of Bungie. Empowered by our people, we have pushed the boundaries of what we thought was possible and transformed who we are as a company. ​
Over the past 30 years, the inviting worlds we’ve built have turned into thriving communities, and that community is the true magic. These communities have taken Bungie beyond games. They have forged life-long bonds, and humbled us with the real, meaningful good they drive within us and the world.​
More than anything, SIE understands that our people and our community are both the priority, and the heart of our success, and are willing to stand alongside us as we continue to use our platform to drive action towards a more welcoming and equitable world. Our goal is to build a place where the world’s most creative and talented people can come and do their best work, no matter who they are, where they are from, or how they identify.​
That’s the real dent in the universe we want to make — the one we want to last beyond us.​
Be a part of this future with us. See you Starside.​
pete

1 Like

Which means it’ll hit PC.

lmao @ people think these acquistions stopping anytime soon.

Microsoft is still the one destroying gaming because it’s them who forced Sony to do this. Legit already seeing this argument.

4 Likes

I don’t know, it seems like destiny will be guaranteed multiplatform and then any new IP is up to bungie. Could mean they decide to just put it on playstation

Nvm, idk why they bought em to stay multiplatform

No way Sony got this deal done in two weeks. This had to be months in the making. I don’t even see this as an overreaction, just nonsensical because I don’t see how this gives Sony any type of edge if Bungie’s games stay multi-platform.

1 Like

Now are we gonna see the same usual suspects keep the same energy for Sony?

Grubb claims it was a bidding war between em

6 Likes

The only way Sony would agree to be acquired is through staying multiplat

Do we think they closed the deal that fast? I’ll have to do some reading during lunch.

Sony just gave Microsoft a even easier route to acquire Activision…

There’s literally no argument for anti trust concerns when competitors are making large acquisitions…lol

18 Likes

It’s like I said, Sony wants in on the GaaS, and I think people will be surprised how many games Sony will produce in the coming years that are not like their traditional games.

3 Likes

They forced Sony into this organic growth? …why am I surprised? This is the Internet.

1 Like

It could be 100% in the contract and this could be a desperate move to keep a FPS game on their system and the marketing rights, you can 1000% expect to never hear that the game is coming to Xbox and get special bonuses for playing on PS.

5 Likes

I doubt that though, why would Sony buy them if everything stays multiplatform including new games?

It’s honestly no loss for me at all.

Sony keeping the games multi-platform is them being like, “hey Phil, we’re being nice, please don’t take COD away after the contracts expire”.

LMAO.

At this point, if this keeps going, im all in favor of a Microsoft/Sony merger that gives me one super ultra combo console. LOL.

4 Likes

MS lost a bidding war ? Wtf

The AB makes a Bungie purchase far less enticing because Xbox will have so many GaaS games.

So the thought that MS would pump the breaks after ABK…seems like maybe not if they got into a bidding war with Sony.