Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

I honestly don’t know the point of investing a ton into acquisitions when first party isn’t really even the draw of their subscription service.

everything they have purchased the past couple years has been primarily focused on PC ports, VR, or Live service content

Square Enix strikes me as odd for Sony. Sure you’ve got the big releases that fit Sony neatly but they release a lot more than that. I mean Square Enix has a dozen or so games scheduled for this year including the likes of Star Ocean, Triangle Stategy and Harvestella. It doesn’t really fit with their current line-up.
That said just cause it isn’t the same as what they do now doesn’t mean they won’t do it, and I also don’t think they want to lose Final Fantasy to anyone else. I could see this as a defensive acquisition, maybe even left to run semi-independently akin to Bungie.

I think it is gonna be one of those new studios that are making GaaS games. Or maybe Ember Labs.

That’s true, but I think right now they mostly just don’t want to be left behind with all of the acquisitions going on in the industry - particularly with Microsoft.

Still hoping for Sony to acquire Deviation Games and Ember Lab.

Which one of them is making a GaaS game? Deviation I guess?

Deviation Games is rumored to be developing a COD type multi-player game. Not sure if it’s MP only or will have a campaign.

I guess Deviation is a possibility then. Would not be surprised if some mobile purchase will happen.

Deviation could become the new Respawn. I’m with you on acquiring then

That would be very high praise and success if that happens.

How many studios does PlayStation have now

19 from sony vs 21 from xbox (maybe +30 in thw future) vs 4? From nintendo.

I 100% one of Sony’s future acquisitions will be in the mobile space.

Sony sold GSN Games last year. Would be wild to sell their game developer to acquire a new one.

I mean, SE sold their western divison and immediately announced their desire to acquire other studios. Everything’s possible.

You know, perk system in PSP Premium or Extra would be nice now to feed your customers something like free Destiny 2 weapons or something. Feels like a missed opportunity if they really keep it like the way it is now.

At this point we don’t know how it is gonna be handled.Microsoft does not provide much perks for their own games, so I don’t expect anything from Sony, who is much greedier there.

I know we tend to focus on how much Sony needs WRPG studios, but I think the folks behind Ghosts of Tsushima and Horizon could pretty easily fill that niche (if they chose to). It wouldn’t be hard for them to take what they know and lean a little more RPG in terms of character building.

Yeah. I tend to believe Playstation will go after more studios for GAAS type acquisitions.

1 Like

Oh sure. They have 12 Gaas games in development and they’re such idiots they’ll be buying more to develop Gaas :slight_smile: