Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

Camera should be their most profitable division and Playstation margins are declining (again) according to their outlook.

2 Likes

I was told there would acquisitions today with the Sony Financials meeting ā€¦

8 Likes

I tried to tell some folks that wasnā€™t going to happen :wink:

It was pretty obvious to anyone whoā€™s followed Sony for a decade or more; the last time they delayed reporting was also due to missing expectations. I donā€™t care what some YouTubers say, these two arenā€™t aligned and Bungieā€™s closure is taking a chunk of their focus.

13 Likes

It just means they probably have a line of credit available to them, if a deal is presented they cannot pass on.

Im thinking they will not be going after acquisitions on Japan but rather focused on NA and Europe. That primarily was has happened and where most of the buying between all companies has happened.

1 Like

Yeah I think MS and Sony are fine with getting games multiplat from the big JP publishers (and Sony moneyhatting Square I guess). Theyā€™re both far more focused on the West.

And I think the idea of either MS or Sony buying a JP publisher to ā€œsave themselves in the JP marketā€ is a bad idea. I think itā€™s more likely that the Japanese market would just stop caring about that publisher. Sony moneyhatting Final Fantasy isnā€™t saving PS5 in Japan, instead the popularity of FF in Japan is dwindling.

By the way once again the ā€œinsidersā€ are wrong about acquisition talk again. Sony cannot be ā€œon the cuspā€ of acquiring Square for this long. They would have to have announced it by now.

This is assuming the games from said publisher would become exclusive. While Iā€™m a firm believer in making all first party western games exclusive to Game Pass platforms, I can definitely see a situation where it would make sense to keep an acquired Japanese publishers games multiplatform in Japan.

Basically, it would be a defensive purchase, primarily intended to ensure those games come to Xbox at all, as opposed to ensuring theyā€™re exclusive to Xbox.

The benefits to keeping them multiplatform are several:

A) To keep the franchise(s) alive

B) To generate goodwill among Japanese gamers

C) To keep making money

D) To increase brand awareness of Xbox in Japan, by tying the acquired franchises to the Xbox brand in the marketing (CoD/PlayStation style)

Yeah, Sony ainā€™t buying FromSoft.

CAPCOM also broke records in their latest reportsā€¦

As did Konami :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would be very surprised to see Sony buy a publisher. Iā€™m expecting a few more ā€˜bigā€™ studios like Bungie (they have over 900 staff).

I get the impression they are comfortable with their single player output, so Iā€™m guessing more multiplayer oriented studios or more VR investment.

2 Likes

Why on earth would capcom want to be acquired by sony or even ms for that matter?

Shareholders are just looking for a return, I donā€™t know why people get so hung up on that. The Twitter shareholders originally didnā€™t want to sell but money talks, they will just reinvest elsewhere.

1 Like

Twitter isnā€™t comparable. That has no effect on anyone.

If it was about Money MS would have bought Capcom years ago.

So now the Sony acquisition rumors have landed at them buying Cyberpunk and Steeet Fighter. No studios, no publishers, just those specific IP. For what internal studios that have experience on either game style, who knows :face_with_monocle:

Iā€™m sure some of the biggest IPs from those respective studios are very cheap! Ask Microsoft for Halo as well Iā€™m sure theyā€™d happily part with it for a bargain

1 Like

no not for sale, just a licensing agreement akin to what they currently have with marvel

I could see that tbh

no not necessarily with the 2nd half, I could see Sony trying so it doesnā€™t get to that point with SE

I agree but I think some people ignore the fact they are a big company that can afford to buy shit just as much

I see KADOKAWA. I am honestly mixed with SE though, it wouldnā€™t shock me but I donā€™t think its close to a definite

I did say ā€œnot really the right chat about this anyway so if you want to continue this go to the other acquisition chatā€ to be fair

They are big enough to acquire studios, but nowhere near big enough to acquire publishers. I still think that their hard limit is 5b at a single purchase.

They cannot come to SE and say that let me buy you for 8b, but if somebody offers 10b you should still go with us.

I could see them spending a bit more like $8B but regardless I think them making a move on WB games is the most likely which probably wouldnā€™t even cost $5B unless the rights came with them

I am saying they would try before the amazon or google or facebook or MS or so on try to make a move on them

It looked like a good Sony fit

1 Like