Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

Well, I think it is the same situation as FF7R that was not day 1 on PC. Also I think Sony expected to sell more consoles. And then Square Enix does not care whether mainline FF grows or not because they have FF14.

Yeah Iā€™m predicting FF16 wonā€™t even hit 5 million sales unless it hits PC and PS4 day 1.

1 Like

Ff7 remake had a 100mplus install base during a pandemic. It was always going to sell well.

Ultimately 16s success will be down to how good it is. If its ff15 level. It will flop and the franchise will be on life support.

Going forward. Even if sony buy SE. I dont see how they dont put major se games on pc day 1.

Also i still think nintendo would be shafted here if SE were bought out. Not fair on them.

Pc is 6 months supposedly. Ps4 will probably never happen.

And they might wait on it until ps5 has bigger install base. They said the game is near competion. But dont jnow if they should release it this yearā€¦but at the same time. Ps5 needs a counter to Starfield.

Yet it sold around 5m by 2020 on 100m user base. Which is not much for highly anticipated AAA remake of the legendary game. I donā€™t see FF16 surpassing FF7R. Not even close.

Even if it flops - Square Enix will still provide the full support to exactly that IP.

Considering how Nintendo operates - they never rely on the goodwill of any other platform holder. Allegedly one of the reasons why Nintendo left EVO because Sony bought a part of it.

1 Like

Yeah Idk that FF16 will be that though. With the current install base of PS5, theyā€™d be lucky to reach 2 million in sales for it.

Pretty sure ff7 remake did more than 5m. Even still thats pathetic. 5m is pretty bad when 15 did double that?

And 16 will sell more than 5m lifetime but whats lfietime of sales when game is 20 bucks? 7 remake is on ps plus and can be bought for 20 bucks used most places.

Official numbers for FF7R was 5m in 2020. And 70% of it was sold in the first 3 days.

Since then they havenā€™t reported any numbers.

I hope it does flop. If sony buys SEā€¦fair enough. Its your own IP now. But if they never buy SEā€¦ff16 deserves to flop. Youre a 3rd party publisher and youre putting your biggest game on 1 console that people are struggling to buy. Cmon now. Even if you ignore xbox for a year you cant just ignore pc like that.

Elden ring sold on pc in a week what ff7 remake did on ps4 in its lifetime.

Its like if ms made starfield a series exclusiveā€¦it would be dumb as hell.

1 Like

Ok well any numbers post that is irrelevant because the game was pn ps plus and integrade bombed hard. I thiink when it comes to steam it may hit another million alongside the ps5 sales. But even on ps5 you can upgrade now with small fee

Yeah itā€™s really really bad management by Square Enix. If I was an investor in Square Enix, Iā€™d be screaming for the CEO to be removed. Square Enix has been disastrously mismanaged.

Just like with ABK - while FF14 is doing good, nobody cares. Even if they donā€™t release any game - while FF14 is doing numbers, nobody cares.

Did Intergrade flop?

I am sure Square did not anticipate the current state of the market when they signed that deal.

I think they only complaint they have is that they did not expect Xbox doing good, thus could have asked for more money from Sony :joy: We donā€™t know how many copies of the games Sony paid for.

I mean FF14 isnā€™t doing well enough, their Financials are down the past 2 years. They sold off extremely valuable assets due to horribly mismanaging the assets by dictating them to work on games they had no experience making and failing to hire people that did. Theyā€™ve cut the value of their company in half at a time when other gaming companies are growing 2-5X.

Did they? I donā€™t follow them much - only know that FF14 is doing good and they were very profitable in the last report and thatā€™s it.

Theyd have signed that deal but changed it to what it is with forspokenā€¦pc ps5. And pretty much all their other deals. No way in hell bethesda agree to deathloop and ghostwire be ps5 only. Hence why they came out on pc too

If anything if sony buy SE. They might get rid of that contract and put the game on pc too. Since theyre directly involved with the profits.

Might happenā€¦

You guys and this ā€œmoney hattingā€ lol.

My God the state of video game jounalism is so depressingā€¦

This is Paul Tassi not adding anything new to what Greg Miller said (news from a rumor, you would expect something far better from Forbes). No wonder theres a lot of people who hate this industryā€™s ā€œjournalismā€

7 Likes