Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

The game might not eventually be a financial disaster. For Sony it’ll probably do what they wanted, Sony definitely doesn’t care if FF doesn’t grow, they care that they got it exclusively. Square probably got a good cheque from Sony already and even if the game doesn’t sell great they could still more than recoup development costs, but depends on the budget and the amount Sony paid. But relative to the potential and name of Final Fantasy, it’d be a really pathetic outcome, and all thanks to Square.

How much did Kingdom Hearts 3 sell on xbox? Isn’t it funny for you to write this yourself? Of course, if Sony buys Square, then the game will not be released on the xbox.

And financially they won’t lose much.

By the time FF16 comes out, around 30 million Ps5s will have been sold.

Given that the game will cost $70, they don’t need a huge number of copies to break even and break even.

Kindly provide the sales breakdown that you somehow acquired. KH3 did the best sales performance for the series thanks to being multiplatform. It also joined Game Pass which probably gave it even more exposure and sales on Xbox.

Depends on when that is, but FF15 didn’t do amazing on 100m+ consoles/PCs at $60

If breaking even for that big of an IP is your outlook, then you unknowingly lost and admitted defeat lol

2 Likes

Disney owns KH and decides what platforms it’s released on.

1 Like

Is that real or just an assumptions because otherwise no explanation why the game wasn’t money hatted by Sony :thinking: :joy:

KH is a very messy license that own piece by piece by various entities. Sony can’t do much. Though of course they could try to leverage Spider-man again.

For Kingdom Hearts:

Does Disney own Kingdom Hearts? Yes, Disney owns Kingdom Hearts . According to former Disney VP of Production John Vignocchi: “A lot of people are confused about who exactly owns Kingdom Hearts , but it’s Disney — it’s developed in partnership with Square-Enix.” So, here’s the definitive answer: Disney owns Kingdom Hearts — 100%.

For Dragon Quest:

https://dragon-quest.org/w/index.php?title=Armor_Project&redirect=no

Armor Project is the company that owns the intellectual copyrights pertaining to the Dragon Quest series. It is owned by Yuji Horii, with his family serving on the board of directors. As the sole controlling entity of the series, it is listed first in all instances regarding ownership.

Being the I.P. holding entity, Armor Project is the licensor of the Dragon Quest series to Square Enix, which handles the publishing of the games’ physical media.

Basically, the only worthwhile IP Square-Enix owns is Final Fantasy.

14 Likes

As a NieR fan, I’m offended!:sob:

Hey, I’m a Nier fan too. But it’s still “niche” (even tho Automata sold millions) compared to FF.

1 Like

I mean, at this point, it’s gotta be up there for their best selling owned IP, right?

Especially with the western branch going?:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hate to bring up Microsoft in a Sony topic, but if Sony was to get Square Enix I think it will make it more likely MS can buy even more game companies. The reason I say that is because Sony would be a bigger market leader than Microsoft in gaming.

I personally think Square Enix would make perfect sense for Sony and I also could see Ember Labs.

I will say I’m surprised Sony never bought ThatGameCompany, because I would have thought they would have been a perfect fit.

Another one that surprises me is that Sony never bought Ready At Dawn. It is disappointing to see what they’ve been forced to become, because all their games were great and I still would have liked a sequel to The Order:1886.

Microsoft will buy more companies in any case. It is just necessary for their Game Pass machine. Disney+ reaps a lot of benefits from owning Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilms. Netflix is in trouble due to that (not owning big IPs) and Amazon also went after MGM.

2 Likes

I personally don’t give two shits about Square Enix now but I would love to see Sony acquire Ember Lab. Kena is such a great freaking game and their first one too!! Imagine what they could do with a $100m+ budget on an AAA title. Oh man!!! I get goosebumps!! :joy:

1 Like

At the very least I hope that would enable them to clearly move away from their alleged questionable contracting and developer practices.

1 Like

No one has said the game will do poorly because it’s not on Xbox, in fact I and plenty of others have directly pointed to the comparatively small user base of PS5 in comparison to those where FFXV was released. You also completely ignored the fact the FF7R hasn’t done nearly as well as other exclusives despite being on PS4 and PS5. The point was that Final Fantasy, and Square’s Japanese output altogether, don’t exactly set the world on fire. I’m not sure why some of you all are so set on ignoring the data presented to spin this weird narrative that people can’t have a good-faith discussion and analysis of the market, Xbox’s position in it, and the inflated success that’s often attribute to Sony and Square’s relationship; that goes for you to @PaMello.

4 Likes

Not trying to be antagonistic here but I moved on a while ago, even starting I’m probably wrong but hope I’m not.

1 Like

And to think some people say MS should acquire them.

Its not on ps4 or pc day 1. Which is baffling.

30 mil? Ff16 is supposed to come out this year dude

And i like thr optimism. Still the decision to be ps5 only is a shitty one. Unless sony buy SE. In which case they can do whatever.