Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

I hope he gets what he wants. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll say gamers if they move their smaller studios to AAA or support. For example their smaller games in Octopath and Triangle Strategy sold at least 3.5million combined, and they offer an experience that is not offered by many studios. Anyways, I feel if Sony acquires them they will kill off those type of games, which I enjoy.

Personally, I believe that those small games would still exist because they would be a perfect fit for Sony’s PS Plus three tier subscription service. They add value to it, get more people into it that want to play these games, eliminate the expenses of disc based retail versions and can still sell them digitally for those who may want to buy them.

Sony haven’t really given me the impression of being all in on such a service yet, I don’t know if they’d be willing to make this sort of move

Agreed but by the time this happens (if it does), they could have changed their plans already and put those smaller games on their service.

I don’t think you gotta be all in to put those (presumably) lower budget games in.

Disney didn’t want KH3 to be a PS4 exclusive back when PS4 was handily beating Xbox One…Theres no way KH4 is an exclusive. At worst its a PC/PS5 game.

FF16 is going to do poorly being on PS5 only. It won’t make its budget back nor will it make much profit. Needs to come out on PC asap. Xbox is another question. But I’m guessing there maybe contractual issues.

So buy SE for FF? what a fucking waste that is when SE have so many unused great IP’s.

Also Lets be real. FF isn’t what it was. Unless theyre gonna just remake them. FF isn’t the answer for Sony to sell an extra 2 million PS5’s.

Personally I hope Sony blows what little cash they have on Square Enix. They already money hat them with timed exclusive games and let’s be real. Balan Wonderworld was a disaster. Forespoken looks janky. They lost their Western Studios. Capcom in comparison would be a huge blow. Other than FF Square has been putting out garbage and ruining games for years.

1 Like

NOOO SHHHHH!!

Sony do not listen to this user!! SE is a MASSIVE and SMART acquisition and one faaaaaaar BIGGER AND BETTER than any one from Microsoft. Use 5-6 billions of the 8 (or all of it!) to secure Balan FF into the ps ecosystem for all eternity and the less money you have to screw others the better :blush:

1 Like

In no way is FF16 going to do poorly by being a PS exclusive.

1 Like

Sony made their best selling big blockbuster tittles cross-gen to have better sales and margins while PS5 is still being hard to buy and affected by chip shortages…

4 Likes

If it’s PS5 exclusive it will. If it’s on PS4 or won’t.

Final Fantasy XV was on three separate platforms, years into the Xbox One and PS4 gen (meaning user bases were already established) and it still sold less than some of SE West’s games that SE considered failures (FXV sold just under 10 million after five years).

Removing at least one of those platforms, and relying on a console being faced with massive shortages and considerably less user base than the aforementioned consoles, pretty much guarantees that it won’t sell as much. Look at FF7R… the remake of the best-selling non-MMO Final Fantasy which sold considerably less than the original, and even FFXV…

Sure, the investment that SE has received from Sony will help soften any blows, but I always remind people of how much FF and Square-Enix Japan have diminished in actual popularity, compared to the reality-distortion field that certain online circles apply.

9 Likes

Not to mention that they’re now trying to target an smaller user base on PS5. Remember the Bethesda arguments saying that Xbox can’t afford to make the games exclusive? That honestly might be true for Playstation and Sony. I’m not sure Sony can or would take losses on a division like that. Squares barely profitable now. If it wasn’t for FF14, they wouldn’t be.

1 Like

Good lord…if FF16 struggles, it’ll have little to do with not showing up on an Xbox platform. We don’t know the budget, quality, really anything about the game other than a trailer. If memory serves, the sales split did not favor Xbox remotely for FF15 so removing that platform isn’t going to cause it to flop. If the game stinks, if expectations from SE are too high, and yes - if supply is still a big issue which it undoubtedly will be, it might struggle. I’m simply suggesting that Xbox not seeing the release isn’t going to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back here. It’s why you’ve seen so much hand waving at a potential SE acquisition by Sony from Xbox fans who “don’t care because it does poorly on Xbox anyway!”

It’s not about skipping Xbox. It’s skipping Xbox, and more specifically PS4 and PC.

Do we know they won’t reverse course like they’ve often done and put it on PS4? Will they have a deal for Sony’s premium PS+ tier to stream it? Will it be on pc at launch and if not, how long will it be? We don’t have the data right now. Spelling out its doom feels very premature. It’s my opinion, I hear all of yours and hope you’re all wrong because I don’t wish for any game to miss the mark in any way.

All we know is that it’s PS5 exclusive, definitely not launching on PC, and so far no cross-gen in sight. So, yeah that’s what we’re basing it on. We know Square is on a roller coaster of bad decisions, on top of that they also limit their game’s growth too, no one has to wish for the game to miss the mark because SE might do that themselves.

Ok then. I hope the best. Like you all say though, I’m probably wrong.