Shadow of the Tomb Raider might be getting optimized for Xbox Series X|S soon

here “MS specs Xbox Series S memory as a split pool, with the 8GB @ 224GB/s being the part available just for games, and the system reserve listed separately (2GB @56GB/s). If we were to spec the Series S’s whole system memory bandwidth, it would be 10GB @280GB/s.”

here is a good illustration how the memory setup in the Series consoles works

https://twitter.com/zivnadav/status/1242466500809601025

no it isn’t, its 224 GB/s max. Thats for GPU or CPU using all memory lanes to all chips. If they access parts of the slower memory where memory chips are not connected fully they get less memory bandwidth.

1 Like

You’re missing my point. I will try to break it down.

224GB/s is the max available to games with the Series S. That’s why the spec is 8GB @224GB/s, while the system as a whole has 10GB RAM.

The publicly released spec for Xbox One X of 326GB/s is for the entire system. That’s why the spec is 12GB @326GB/s, and that is the total amount of memory in the system.

So you are doing an apples to oranges comparison.

This is an apples to apples comparison:

Xbox One X: 12GB @326GB/s

Xbox Series S: 10GB @280GB/s

This is an oranges to oranges comparison:

Xbox One X: GAMES: 9GB @244.5GB/s OS: 3GB @81.5GB/s

Xbox Series S: GAMES: 8GB @224GB/s OS: 2GB @56GB/s

Comparing the complete memory bandwidth of one system (OS reserve and games reserve combined) against the gaming reserve bandwidth of the other does not make sense.

You going on a completely different tangent, pointing out that both parts of the reserve need to use the same bus. I never said different. The exact same applies to the Xbox One X.

You agree that the One X does actually have an OS, right? And that OS is in fact using a portion of the system ram, and sharing the same bus?

No. You have not understood how the memory setup is on Series consoles and on Xbox One X.

Series S 224 GB/s max Xbox One X 326 GB/s always (all memory chips on Xbox One X are the same and it has a very wide 384bit/s interface)

Thats how the memory setup is configured. You should educated yourself more about memeory buses before we derail the Tomb Raider topic further.

Do you agree that the One X has an OS?

It certainly doesn’t have an operating system which consumes some absurd memory bandwidth like 81 GB/s when a game is running. You should provide a source for such stuff.

I calculated it by the publicly acknowledged stat that 9GB is available for games on the One X.

The diagram you posted is the GPU RAM allocation of the Series X - note that exactly as I wrote before you shared that graphic that the memory is running at 56GB/s.

I’d never seen that diagram but I didn’t need that diagram to know that, because 10÷560 is 56, and that is how you calculate memory speed from bandwidth.

The 9 GBs of Game memory access on One X happens at 326 GB/s. It is fully interleaved across all 384 bits of the memory bus.

EDIT: See this post for visualization to help you realize how it’s always 326 GB/s: Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames! - #3416 by BRiT

2 Likes

Why are we derailing this thread with this talk

2 Likes

No, the pool of 12gb has a bandwidth of 326gb/s.

Bandwidth is ram speed multiplied by ram pool size.

Fair enough. Have made my point.

Your memory speed calculations on One X is entirely incorrect.

EDIT: See this post for visualization to help you realize how it’s always 326 GB/s: Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames! - #3416 by BRiT

1 Like

The bandwidth spec I have read from multiple sources for One X is 12Gb @326GB/s.

If that is correct, and 9GB is available for games, then the bandwidth available to games is 9GB @244.5GB/s

I mean, I’m shit at maths so correct me if I’m wrong but I have run that through a calculator multiple times and it keeps saying the same thing.

Note: I agree with the comment above that we are derailing the thread at this point, just didn’t want to appear to be ignoring you. Will stop responding now though.

Weird I thought it already had some Series X upgrades

im sorry :cry:

1 Like

Hopefully the other two games as well. Although I’m so happy Tomb Raider DE is finally 60fps.

Ima be honest this makes no sense. Why green lit the game to get FPS Boosted in the first place?

And yet another FPS Boost game got optimized today!

:skull:

Ima be honest xbox needs to get confirmation from these people of their intent to update games natively and give up a spot to other games. This is ridiculous.

They do. They do not enable FPSBoost for a game without the Developers/Publishers permission. It’s not Xbox’s fault that the Devs/Pubs changed their mind or didn’t disclose they were going to do an upgrade patch.

Edit:

Though to be fair to the devs, maybe they didn’t realize how easy it would be to do an upgrade or maybe they underestimated how much of a difference higher refresh rate can make. Maybe they had to show proof to Management that upgrades could pull in more players and thus more money for the company.

3 Likes