Shadow of the Tomb Raider might be getting optimized for Xbox Series X|S soon

I calculated it by the publicly acknowledged stat that 9GB is available for games on the One X.

The diagram you posted is the GPU RAM allocation of the Series X - note that exactly as I wrote before you shared that graphic that the memory is running at 56GB/s.

I’d never seen that diagram but I didn’t need that diagram to know that, because 10÷560 is 56, and that is how you calculate memory speed from bandwidth.

The 9 GBs of Game memory access on One X happens at 326 GB/s. It is fully interleaved across all 384 bits of the memory bus.

EDIT: See this post for visualization to help you realize how it’s always 326 GB/s: Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames! - #3416 by BRiT

2 Likes

Why are we derailing this thread with this talk

2 Likes

No, the pool of 12gb has a bandwidth of 326gb/s.

Bandwidth is ram speed multiplied by ram pool size.

Fair enough. Have made my point.

Your memory speed calculations on One X is entirely incorrect.

EDIT: See this post for visualization to help you realize how it’s always 326 GB/s: Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames! - #3416 by BRiT

1 Like

The bandwidth spec I have read from multiple sources for One X is 12Gb @326GB/s.

If that is correct, and 9GB is available for games, then the bandwidth available to games is 9GB @244.5GB/s

I mean, I’m shit at maths so correct me if I’m wrong but I have run that through a calculator multiple times and it keeps saying the same thing.

Note: I agree with the comment above that we are derailing the thread at this point, just didn’t want to appear to be ignoring you. Will stop responding now though.

Weird I thought it already had some Series X upgrades

im sorry :cry:

1 Like

Hopefully the other two games as well. Although I’m so happy Tomb Raider DE is finally 60fps.

Ima be honest this makes no sense. Why green lit the game to get FPS Boosted in the first place?

And yet another FPS Boost game got optimized today!

:skull:

Ima be honest xbox needs to get confirmation from these people of their intent to update games natively and give up a spot to other games. This is ridiculous.

They do. They do not enable FPSBoost for a game without the Developers/Publishers permission. It’s not Xbox’s fault that the Devs/Pubs changed their mind or didn’t disclose they were going to do an upgrade patch.

Edit:

Though to be fair to the devs, maybe they didn’t realize how easy it would be to do an upgrade or maybe they underestimated how much of a difference higher refresh rate can make. Maybe they had to show proof to Management that upgrades could pull in more players and thus more money for the company.

3 Likes

Yeah, they said multiple times that even if they don’t need devs/pubs intervention most of the time, they always ask for permission first.

This is more of what I meant. I know xbox asks for permissions but Publishers/Devs gotta be more upfront. Now we have like 3 games running nonsense fps boosts.

1 Like

Thinking a little more about it, I’d like to think the Devs/Pubs were upfront and honest, but the detailed engagement metrics Xbox is able to provide made them change their mind. Like they (devs) could not convince management until they had their evidence to show positive improvements for their business.

O’ell, we should be happy they didn’t got the Director’s Cut route and require a fee.

1 Like

One X didn’t have enough for 4k either. I could count the amount of games on one hand One X ran Native 4k games. It was nearly always 1800p or below.

And thats fine. One X CPU is so bad running games at 4k should’t have been a selling point. It was more of a system that should have maybe sacrificed in its GPU department for its CPU. a 5 Teraflop system still capable of the checkerboard rendering and a vastly superior CPU would have put it in a much better position.

Despite being nearly 1.5x more powerful than a PS4 Pro, the CPU bottlenecked a lot of its performance.

The FPS boost in TR is broken late game apparently anyway. Some sequences are harder to do.

And it can be disabled.

This whole “FPS Boost” was a nice marketing tool for MS. But in reality knowing how it works. Without 3rd party input in the OG ource code…its not going to be the best. A lot of games are having to lower resolution to get a FPS boost. Thats a load of horsecrap.

BEthesda games are now 1st party. Games like The Evil Within 2 should be able to run 4k 60FPS on Series X easily. But its 1800p and drops to lower res with FPS boost on.

??? Its a legit great feature improving games to better framerates. It has a trade off that you can or cant use on most games where developers arent gonna go back and update.

4 Likes