Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Gameplay reveal

I genuinely don’t know how anyone can watch this and think it looks downgraded.

9 Likes

Give them time to process, I didn’t realize how good this looked until I saw it on oled in 4K.

You forget at times that it is a game.

5 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

Isn’t in engine mostly just cutscene stuff with more post processing effects and such? This doesn’t really look like any significant downgrade, i remember similar when Ryse launched people said it was downgraded too. This looks far ahead of anything ive seen running on a console up till now.

And yeah i couldn’t help but imagien what a Ryse 2 would look like built for the Series X. *drools

1 Like

Not gonna lie, looks almost too cinematic for me, hopefully the combat is truly improved and not as slow as things appear to be here.

3 Likes

I would like to think they showed one of the many set piece events in the game, im sure there will be a decent portion more akin to the first game puzzle solving and very much improved combat scenarios

7 Likes

Yep, I mean you already hopefully read my whole long reply to you a few days ago regarding what I want from the game. And weapon variety was one of them.

1 Like

i think they wanted to show visuals and atmosphere the most with this trailer also most likely gameplay is not finished yet. after no release date this is definitely 2023/2024 game

6 Likes

pretty much what I felt as well. What they did show was striking. I’m a lot more interested in the story right now.

Pegasus Nation are cherry picking screenshots of in-game Senua vs reveal Senua to show a downgrade even though they purposefully take lower res screenies of smaller scale models and zoom in. You know, the type of models used in every fucking video game ever.

Cinematic Senua looks about equal with the reveal one. And while some shots in the comparable reveal are scaled back (namely weather effects) other effects here such as the fire on the torches look significantly better. Sparks fly and douse in the cold water. It’s impressive stuff.

Ultimately, one is a cinematic in 24fps and the other is a fully functional game in 30. And the fact they stranslated this with limited visual sacrifice is truly impressive.

Also RE: the combat comments I’m seeing ITT. I get the disappointment, I woulda liked to see swordplay too, but Mocap only recently resumed, and it’s probably easier to execute what they showed. Also remember the game just switched to UE5 for the latter half of development.

10 Likes

Also Heilung was the perfect fucking choice, can’t wait to hear the full soundtrack once it releases.

3 Likes

Indeed. The audio across the board is amazing and Heilung’s work was awesome.

1 Like

Hellblade 2 looked superb but I was hoping to see the combat in the game as if I was playing it. I know the visuals were always going to look great. Hellblade 2017 was a 10/10 in visuals or at least close to it on last generation tech and if I remember correctly, the budget was $30M. So no worries visually. All I hope for is that the combat is more varied and has more depth. Rest should be a given to be great.

3 Likes

ITs dOwnGrAdEd,

The game had moments where it looked like it achieved photo realism. This trailer was much better than the reveal.

5 Likes

Fidelity wise, the closeup sections aren’t comparable, wrt character rendering 2019 reveal is still much better. Atmosphere and narrative wise yes (something that’s more important anyway).

The FX is incredible too, and much of the direction is solid in representing the true scale of that Giant.

It’s not really a downgrade because the 2019 trailer focused on a few key things (namely, Senua’s face) whereas this had to represent a wider scope of things including the environments and other NPCs.

https://youtu.be/_PsgClfpO5s

For those curious, this was Hellblade 1’s vertical slice. About 2 years prior to release.

7 Likes

I just the saw the trailer, the more cutscene/cinematic, environmental shots are representative of the 2019 trailer, like I said I thought it would be just a some days ago here. Senua’s face doesn’t look like that trailer however.

1 Like

pretty much!

The macroblocking on stream was god awful, I’m glad there are proper versions on youtube now.

Looks phenomenal like I expected but they didn’t show the very thing I wanted to see , combat . Plus no year ? This looks like a 2024 game to me dawg .

1 Like

Yeah that’s how I feel too. I might like it a lot eventually but it’s not what I ‘want’