SEGA, Bungie Among Many Studios Considered for Acquisition by Microsoft to Bolster Game Pass and Mobile Efforts

Pretty much. Nigh on everything else is exclusive.

Maybe they would keep established series multiplatform but any returning ( long dormant IP) or new IP would be exclusive? I dunno. One of the best things would be their massive back catalog of arcade games being put on Gamepass. It could have a whole section of it’s own and it would be huge by itself. As someone who grew up on Sega’s arcade games, there is so much that they never released on a console .

They could do something similar to “ACA NeoGeo” where they release a couple of games every month. I would kill to be able to play Golden Axe : Revenge of The Death Adder or Spikeout on Xbox. Never mind an actual arcade perfect Outrunners or Slash-out or Scud Race or Wild Riders. Too many to mention

They could also fund new versions of games like Jet Set Radio ( with online play) and Panzer Dragoon Saga Remake ( they’ve worked with Futatsugi multiple times, get him on it) on UE5 etc. Not to mention funding a new Virtua Fighter!

Just so much they could do with it.

5 Likes

I’d like a Sega light gun collection and an official gun controller.

4 Likes

Moreso to ABK. It’s incomparable when comparing to Bethesda.

But yeah, once Microsoft buys Activision they’re not going to pull all of their previous games from other platforms. But they’re going to make them available on Gamepass. And it will provide a ton of value to Microsoft when they do it even if those games are still available on other platforms.

This also applies to Bethesda games. It won’t hurt Microsoft at all when these games are still available on PlayStation. Put the fact that I can play Prey on Game Pass, increases the value proposition of Game Pass.

Because it’s about value. There is value in selling games on other platforms and there is value in having this company shape your direction in a region that you have been unsuccessful in.

All of this ties into that point that I made very clear in the first sentence. It’s all about value.

At this stage, there is next to no value in making them exclusives. If it’s not obvious I’ll stated plainly: these games do very well in Japan on platforms that have more than 10 times the user base than on the Xbox in that region. Making them exclusive will probably expand their user base but not buy a whole lot. Spencer himself has stated this many times.

And I’m not even getting into the fact that some of these developers within Sega are very picky about what platforms they develop for, including the fact that they would still like to release games on PlayStation.

I’ve already quoted them in this thread.

This had to do with what you said about logistics and contrasting the purchase of Sega to working with Sega. That’s what that paragraph had to do with.

2 Likes

XBox never had many kid style games and I think from the OG XBox days really lacked cute 3D 1st party platform games. SEGA could help in that regard and it would be nice to have all the Sonic games on Game Pass and then make money from sales of Sonic on Nintendo system.

If Microsoft does buy SEGA they really should have their BC team look to make a SEGA Live Arcade line for Gamepass and look to bring some of SEGA’s classic Arcade games to Gamepass.

It be ace to play the likes of Return Of Death Adder co-op over LIVE

3 Likes

I would love to play some of the old megadrive/genesis games with virtual online co-op. For example Streets of Rage, Gauntlet and Golden Axe. I’d also love to try Sonic, Quackshot and maybe even World of Illusion with my daughters.

SEGA could be huge as it would bring such a big catalogue of games (like Nintendo are doing with their online), in addition to Mobile, PC and other genres they need like the kid friendly games and JRPG.

I thought getting rid of XBox Live from the 360 days was a massive mistake. If Team Xbox bought SEGA Xbox could do a great line of SEGA Arcade games for Game Pass and if they added in online play for some of the titles it would be so good.

On their own not enough to warrant being sold at retail, but as part of Gamepass, it would be a huge easy plus for the service

1 Like

I don’t think we can use an internal pitch for how Microsoft would handle Sega as a %100 certainty, as it’s likely every acquisition got similar treatment.

The rest of the information we got on how they started talking about Zenimax once the the deal went through, makes it clear that they will have talks about how to proceed. So either keeping things as they are, partial exclusivity (which is where Zenimax lands, as they’re still releasing remasters and updating games on other platforms) or full exclusivity are on the table until they crunch the numbers and see what they think it’s better for them.

1 Like

100% agree, I miss Xbox Arcade.

1 Like

I thought of something funny if Xbox buys Sega. Xbox would technically have more generations of consoles than PlayStation. Xbox has had awkward naming conventions mostly because they didn’t want to be 1 generation behind PlayStation. So instead of Xbox2 versus PS3, Microsoft marketing opted to go with Xbox 360 . Over the years people have teased Xbox for not just using simple numbers like PlayStation. So if we add Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and Sega Saturn, then Xbox would gain 3 generations :grin:

The next console generation could be “Xbox 8” versus “PlayStation 6”

3 Likes

Interestingly Activision will help their legacy too as they were founded in 1979 by former Atari developers, therefore also pre-dating PlayStation. Microsoft released their first video game in 1979 too!

SEGA of course will help that even further. If they do go down the ‘Arcade’ route with SEGA IP, I hope they pick up Atari or Amiga too. Either can be picked up for next to nothing and will help cement that service (Atari = $69 Million, Amiga/Cloanto will be roughly the same).

5 Likes

Hm, then they need to also get Warner Bros because they apparently bought up most of Midway’s assets (sold by the outgoing CEO of Midway, Matt Booty).

3 Likes

After the ABK deal ends, I hope that Microsoft goes after a bunch of studios since they’re small and should be easy to acquire. I’m hoping for -

1. Asobo Studio
  2. Certain Affinity
  3. Crystal Dynamics
  4. Dontnod
  5. Eidos Montreal
  6. IO Interactive
  7. Iron Galaxy
  8. People Can Fly
  9. PlayTonic
  10. Techland

Then, go after Sega and im hoping for Focus Entertainment. With Asobo and Dontnod, that would be great in my opinion.

4 Likes

When it comes to Sega, I don’t really consider Atlus as part of Sega. Speaking for myself (but in truth probably a lot of people feel this way). Atlus style games just aren’t for me,it’s cool if you like them, just not my thing. My love for Sega comes from growing up in USA at a time when the Sega Genesis was cool. Then when I was 16 I got a car and a job I bought a Dreamcast at toys r us on 9/9/99. These days Sega is just Sonic and Yakuza which is fine, I loved Like a Dragon (basically the greatest jrpg I’ve ever played) and the last Sonic game was awesome too.

I wasn’t necessarily just trying to take a trip down memory lane just for the sake of it… I more wanted to emphasize I’d be willing to sacrifice Atlus to the PlayStation crowd as a multiplat (almost as a bargaining chip to appease them) but I want to see Xbox go big with the Sega I remember. Bring back Dreamcast era ip, bring back Sega fighting games, action games, mascot games, Arcade gimmicky games (and peripherals), just give Sega a 2nd chance at life. It doesn’t even need to be old nostalgic ip necessarily, part of the soul of Sega was their willingness to surprise. And make all of this new Sega stuff exclusive to Xbox and pc. PlayStation can have atlus multiplat though, that’s the compromise (something I didn’t really care about anyways :wink:, no disrespect).

2 Likes

Has anyone else seen this? It is a leaked Sega internal document from the 90s, the Saturn years. Some of it reads like an Xbox modern day document

7 Likes

There was a plan with Microsoft to have a version of the Saturn that supported Internet Explorer lol

6 Likes

“Sony has effectively leveraged their considerable equity from consumer electronics”

5 Likes

Really makes you think!

1 Like

I do agree in part with exclusivity, but I think there is some give and take here. For one buying one of the biggest Japanese publishers to make exclusive might have some regulatory hurdles in Japan. I don’t think making it multiplatform was a choice but more of a need in that scenario. I also think as long as new titles or some older titles like Shinobi are made exclusive it would be fine. Phantasy star online is exclusive and that could give room to campaign phantasy star games being exclusive. All in all, the current Sega titles being multiplat is fine as it helps but those super games project Jet set Radio and so on could find strength in exclusivity.

Makes sense. I think a service like Game Pass could benefit Sega a lot being allowing them to take risks and experiment especially with all those classic titles. Being with Xbox could also give them the financial strength to develop a quality Sonic capable of competing. One thing I would like to see is if they do get acquired by Microsoft is a new Handheld successor to the Game Gear.

1 Like