SEGA, Bungie Among Many Studios Considered for Acquisition by Microsoft to Bolster Game Pass and Mobile Efforts

Agreed, It’d be much better for MS to get Yakuza and Persona on GP day 1

They should try to buy Relic amd Certain Affinity though

It makes sense because Microsoft is at a point where they are comfortable with the quantity of exclusives they are producing.

The way you talk I have to assume you didn’t read any of the documentation that got leaked, it straight up said they’d keep Sega games multiplatform.

3 Likes

That was Matt Booty who said that I believe and thankfully it didnt pan out, would have been a loser deal like Sony buying Bungie

Wasn’t it in the actual chart about Sega?

Another thing I think you’re failing to consider is that the cost of Game Pass deals goes up the greater the user base, not down. Owning as much of the production as you can is simply a smart move.

3 Likes

Again though what is the logistic purpose of keeping Sega multiplat while keeping Zenimax exclusive ?

Why keep Elder Scrolls 6 exclusive but Perspna 6 multiplat? It makes no logistical sense

1 Like

They were in a rough spot first party wise when they made that purchase, it was required for them to be competitive

Who was in a rough spot? Microsoft? OK but that doesnt answer my question that right now if MS bought Sega. Why would Sega be multiplat and Zenimax be exclusive?

Honestly, this is a waste of time. We have a document spelling out exactly what their strategy would be with Sega.

2 Likes

We have Matt Booty stating it and an acqusition not going through so whatever you think didnt pan out because it was the wrong decision to make

I am thankful it didnt pan out and glad it never will

I think right or wrong decision ultimately depends on what costs are associated with getting games into Game Pass Day 1. The lack of third party AAA Day 1 releases tells me it is cost prohibitive.

It is very likely that a deal that puts the entire Sega lineup on Game Pass Day 1 over a period of 10 years would come close to the cost of the acquisition.

1 Like

At the end of the day we can like or not like how they would handle a potential Sega acquisition but they will do what’s best for their business no matter what we think. They would have likely kept all of Bethesda’s games multiplatform if it made sense in their business strategy. They have expert bean counters to tell them whether it’s good or bad to keep things exclusive.

My oldschool Sega fan self just wants to see them concentrated on one machine again. I personally don’t think they NEED Playstation at all. ( I think Starfield will go a long way in proving that this fall) But again, I’m not the decision maker in this.

8 Likes

I don’t think they Playstation at all for Sega, although Nintendo might be a bit of a loss considering what a beast it is in Japan

Most of SEGA’s IP are popular in the west so Steam/Xbox/GP is more than enough to sustain them but I feel in Japan they might struggle more, at least for the stuff that does make to switch there

SEGA being a one console publisher again would be wild to see but based on those documents, MS clearly see’s value in keeping them multiplat which I’m fine with, I just wan’t to see them them together finally, they are like a perfect match

1 Like

I think this only applies to publishers tbh. I think there is no harm if studios remain exclusives, but going forward I think publishers may have to be multiplat. However, we’ll see

3 Likes

It’s all about value and for acquiring SEGA while keeping most of their titles multi-platform the value could lie in the fact that SEGA’s entire back catalogue, much of which is all ages and family friendly, is a cornerstone of Gamepass. Secondly it is SEGA’s know how in terms of appealing to the Japanese market that can help guide Xbox in that market. Much like how Bungie is assisting Sony in live service titles, SEGA would probably have the same impact and usefulness.

It’s also the perpetual marketing rights for all of these multi-platform SEGA titles. You mentioned Persona, while appearing on PlayStation it’s going to be premiering at every Microsoft event. Every Yakuza game will be announced at an Xbox showcase. All future Sonic titles at various Xbox events. There is a ton of value in that.

Speaking of logistics, this is also one reason why you would want to buy SEGA outright instead of licensing or paying for lifetime Gamepass access. Logistically speaking it makes more sense to own these developers than to pay them forever to license and to pay to have them update the titles going forward. A game like Sunset Overdrive will unfortunately never support 4K and 60fps because of the logistics of having a third party developer creating the title for a first party.

6 Likes

Technically, the FTC and other regulators said Nintendo isn’t in the same segment as Microsoft and Sony. So, I don’t see any harm if Microsoft doesn’t pull content from a platform that they’re not in competition with :phil_lmao:

5 Likes

Everything will be exclusive. Dont read too much into it.

Everything said here can be applied to Zenimax and most of ABK

Why do you have to both buy and keep them multiplat for this purpose?

Yes and theres even more value in keeping those games exclusive, nothing you’ve said explains why MS needs to buy Sega and keep them multiplatform

What does this have to do with keeping Sega multiplatform

This is why I’m grateful that that MS buying Sega abd keeping them multiplat never panned out and I am grateful it never will either

1 Like

The post provided a bunch of benefits to owning them even if they remained multiplatform

2 Likes

Dont read too much into the strategy for the acquisition that Microsoft outlined in internal documents? Lol

6 Likes

Some real console warrior nonsense going on in here

Don’t you realise it’s a 200IQ play, these weren’t confidential documents that were never supposed to leak, it was a planned leak

Phil planned all this to make people think this is their actual plan but as soon as the deal is done, YOINK :philwins:

6 Likes