SEGA, Bungie Among Many Studios Considered for Acquisition by Microsoft to Bolster Game Pass and Mobile Efforts

I was just thinking if the Sega acquisition happens then we could see another revival of Sakura Wars. It would be an absolute dream if they did remakes for the 1st 3 Sakura Wars games with a strategy rpg combat system. The 4th game is like 5 hours but they could even remake that game too and add more content. Sakura Wars 5 sucks and they should just pretend it doesnt exist.

1 Like

Never played Sakura Wars, but would be in for a return to Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, and (especially) Panzer Dragoon

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing the second one on my Saturn (thatā€™s why I posted a clip from it early in this thread lol). I played the fan translation of the first a few years ago, but recently Iā€™ve reached a point in my JP reading that I can enjoy the sequels without much issue (no fan translations available for them)

Iā€™d just love to see them ported and officially translated, theyā€™re so cheesy and fun. I just cleared chapter 3, wedding crash chapter, I was smiling the whole time lol. Compared to the first this one is way better and seems like the production values were upped quite a bit too.

4 Likes

Yeah the wedding crashing chapter was funny and is another reason i love Sumire. Sumire Kanzake is one of my favorite all time videogame characters. She acts so stuck up and snobby on the outside but she really has the biggest heart and cares so much about her teammates. It always felt like Sega was pushing Sakura as the main heroine and default waifu option. But Sumire being the only character returning for the 2020 reboot shows how Sega views her in terms of importance in the series and how she won fans over.

There was rumors that Nagoshi favored Sony. That could be why we didnt see a simultaneous release for Demon Slayer on PS and Switch, why Sakura Wars reboot(2020) was not made for Switch and Yakuza took so long to come to Xbox. It kills me because if Sega had planned from the beginning for the Sakura Wars reboot to be multiplatform it would have sold gangbhsters on the Switch in Japan.

1 Like

Does anyone have a link to the non-redacted paradox/sega document?

I think going after Sega after a few years gap would be ok, having by then worked that much closer for a long time. Maybe by the end of this gen. Iā€™d like the focus once the ABK dust settles to be on securing all the obvious studios like Creative Assembly & IO.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t think they can wait. Itā€™s best to go after Sega now when the trade deal is still afresh and many in congress are echoing and demanding answers from Japan.

9 Likes

Sega on gamepass could be the home of short AA games in the spirit of the Dreamcast, where every new release was fun to play.

5 Likes

Nah, wait for Sony to try and buy a japanese company and get smacked for trying to invest in territory where they hold a 99% monopoly by their own market definition. Thatā€™s the perfect opening

1 Like

The arcade back catalog would be insane! It could have itā€™s own dedicated section!

2 Likes

@TK0Asante Talking about context for buying japanese devsā€¦ Microsoft will soon need Nintendo developers to make CoD available on Nintendo platform. Square makes a lot of Nintendo games.

You get where I am going with this :smirk:

Betweenā€¦great podcast. I have so many thoughts on ps5 pro and the Q device

2 Likes

MS should buy Square Enix. Xbox would get games not seen on the platform compared to Sega (who already releases every title day and date)

• Bethesda fills the WRPG/FPS Single player
  • ABK fills the GaaS/Competitive FPS/Mobile/Platformer?
  • SE fills the JRPG/Mobile
  • XGS

I can see the Sega appeal but IP wise Final Fantasy is the biggest JRPG brand on the market.

2 Likes

Buy Square, Why? still not getting FF7R or Rebirth or FF16 cause of Sony deals. I say hell no to that. Xbox Gamers need to let Square go. They not worth it anymore.

Iā€™m all in on Sega now. Forget Square, they are a lost cause. I also like SEGA JRPG more now. Persona is better than Final Fantasy.

8 Likes

We donā€™t know the terms of the deals, pretty sure FF16 is a 2 year exclusive. Though we also know that Sony/Square have no issue extending those exclusives.

Fact is youā€™d get those games at some point and be guaranteed future games.

1 Like

FF is not bigger than Persona, they are quite comparable. FF7 is an outlier, considering its nostalgia status. Both franchises are sold by multi millions and I think Persona 6 by releasing on more platforms are more prone to growth.

1 Like

Square does not want to sell. There is no point to buy something that will see massive leave and become an empty shell.

According to who? It sounded like they might have been in discussions pre ABK.

4 Likes

I do not think so. As you can see in this thread, they are not in the list of investigated companies to be scrutinized by MS.

I pointed out to the list that created this topic.

Paradox and Sega were only publishers on that list.