Seagate announces 2TB and 512GB Xbox Series Storage Expansion Cards

Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation it doesn’t matter, as Nick is normally always there with his wallet open for them lol.

Futurama Reaction GIF

1 Like

HOLY SHIT!

The price was just revealed for my country. The 2TB version is just $40 cheaper than an Xbox Series X.

Yes, it costs as much as a Series X.

2 Likes

Good lord those prices

Wow, they are getting slaughtered in the gaming media here. Also inevitable comparisons with PS5 where it is cheaper (but still expensive), the same (edit: even better ssd) 2TB is more than €100 cheaper on the PS5.

They managed to piss off even Xbox fans in the comment sections, quite an achievement.

Just shows that people dont know what the tech is behind these ssd’s.

1 Like

I mean… you can get even faster SSD’s okayed by Sony for the PS5 for about €140 less? What does that have to do with the tech?

Talked to some PC-guys and you can get an almost 3 times faster Gen4 SSD for about €100 less. The same specs as the Xbox SSD for half the price…

Quality and ease of use are part of tech as well. I’ve had quite a few “cheap” nvme drives fail within a month of getting them and they were not even close to the performance of the xbox ones. The hot-swapping aspect of the xbox one should be factored in a little bit as well.

1 Like

The devil is in the details - peak numbers verse sustained numbers including write speeds in addition to significantly smaller form factor.

With that said, yes, everyone wishes it was cheaper with more options from other manufacturers.

1 Like

Show me external SSDs as fast as the Xbox SX one that’s 140 less

Go on. I’m waiting.

We know why they’re expensive.

1 Like

yikes, for $400 i could just buy a PS5. thats MORE than my series S cost.

i get that its not overprice for the market - but i’ll wait i guess

1 Like

Regardless of price points, I really wish there was a way to use multiple cards without doing anything. My console is hidden behind the TV and can be a choir to get to it. Yeah, it’s the ultimate in lazy but thats why I ditched physical media back in the X360 days, convenience.

Like I said, it’s what PC people tell me. Keep in mind the Series X 2TB ssd will cost US $590 here.

Even the best ones for the PS5 are $50-100 cheaper, like Seagate Firecuda, WD Black SN850 and Samsung 980 Pro which to my knowledge are faster?

Can you give me some examples of ssd for the PS5 with the same specs as the one for Series X? I can compare the prices then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The PC people are talking about manufactured SSD at a competitive market that are also Internal SSD’s built for PC’s and incidentally what PS5 is able to use.

The Xbox series consoles use a Proprietary external mini drive SSD that’s probably the fastest external SSD in the market for that price.

Either way it doesn’t bother me. I’m fine with the internal 800+GB storage of the Series X. If I had a PS5 with barely 650GB of storage maybe I would consider buying an extra SSD.

Bottom line is this.

Theyre expensive. No shit. But the ease of use and the way that thing is designed, its more about convenience than price. Price might go down. It probably will. Noone is saying go grab one of these or you need one.

We had a topic on here about the 1TB Drive and people were adamant it was a necessity about how it was worth it. But now the 2TB is too expensive but 1TB for 220 isn’t1? cmon. I know people have this disease where they have to install a billion game at one but if you’re complaining about the expense of a proprietary super fas external SSD that you don’t even need…you have issues.

Also 95% of PC “people” either use a slow ass HDD or an older cheaper SSD that’s no way near as fast even as the Xbox SSD.

1 Like

Theres Lazy and there’s there’s too lazy to switch out an External SSD once what? a year? cmon dude.

It would be more often if you want to have more than 800GB + 920GB of Optimized for SeriesX|S games ready to go.

I can’t even fathom this, but I guess I don’t have many GaaS

So many new games are huge, and more games will be optimized for SeriesXS.

• AC Valhalla is 136 GB.
  • Halo MCC is 117 GB.
  • Gears 5 is 105 GB.
  • FH 5 is 104 GB.
  • MSFS is 103 GB.
  • FH 4 is 93 GB.

Throw in Halo Infinite and that’s your entire internal drive.

1 Like

So if we go by the PS5 DE Australian Price

This 2TB card will cost like $650 lol

1 Like

Big ouch. I’ll make do with my external ssd for now I think.

At what point do you need FH4 and 5 at the same time? Here’s a tip. Delete ac valhalla.

Even then why do you need more than 1.8TB which is what rhe internal and 1tb is. You aren’t convincing anyone that Xbox should have 2 SSD slots. That is a ridiculous statement.

1 Like