Rumor: Sony wants Final Fantasy games exclusively on PlayStation this generation

Dead Rising :doge: :doge: it’s indeed dead IP. tbh i want MS to work with capcom on exclusive game or From software on exclusive game

1 Like

aah ok, i dont care for DR myself but could be cool.

what about Dragon’s Dogma 2 by Fromsoft :eyes:

1 Like

welp the train already left station, idk how far DD 2 in development but it’s coming. this could big seller RPG for capcom

1 Like

yep. Is it true that they lost their lead combat designer on that game? I know the DMC5 combat designer left after a long time at Capcom for Tencent or whatever, but is he the same guy who worked on DD1 and possible even DD2 early stages?

Is it tough? DD is big only among hardcore circles honestly, like souls were, but those becone more mainstream thanks to a series of continued sequels and spin-offs, DD is left at one installment from a decade ago.

it could also be argued that the popularization of those kinda games through the success of the souls games will make DD2 have a better chance to be successful amongst the same audience plus more, now compared to say, 5 years ago or when the game originally came out (a year after Dark Souls 1). Elden Ring is the most wishlisted game on Steam rn, and from the general hype alone + the prospect of it having more accessibility than the previous games, I expect it to easily sell 10 million+ across platforms, first ever for Fromsoft. Moreover there are still things DD seems to do that not even Fromsoft games do, at least to any similar degree. Like the magic system for example. People will no doubt enjoy and appreciate the upgrade the magic system got in Elden Ring, but will then look for other games that do that kinda thing well if not better, and DD2 will be there waiting. Now’s the time.

2 Likes

this game got pretty good ideas. shame it’s canceled.

1 Like

I own a PS5 and don’t give a shit about SE anymore.

I feel bad for some of the development teams under their umbrella who are not “meeting expectations” as live service models are forced into some of their titles.

Then there’s the NFT BS…

3 Likes

Much as I’d love to play FF16 on xbox if it doesnt come I’ll cope. Plenty other great games to play.

3 Likes

Sad if true, but hopefully MS will look to counter any such move.

1 Like

I am in the same boat, I would like to play games like FF16 and FF7R but I wouldn’t lose sleep if they don’t come to Xbox. I am not gonna spend 500 euros on a PS5 for them so if they don’t come to my systems of choice (Xbox and Switch) I simply won’t play them. As you said there’s plenty of great stuff coming from Xbox, Nintendo and 3rd parties. :man_shrugging:

In the past generations I bought every system and I knew that I had access to all games but now that I’ll stick with just Xbox and Nintendo for the foreseeable future I know that I will miss some games which is inevitable so I’ve made my peace with that.

1 Like

On the one hand, it really does rankle me when Sony throws their weight around with crappy moneyhats like this.

On the other, there have only been 3 great FF games and they all came out last century so ¯\(ツ)

Here’s the move, Spencer: instead of wasting money trying to fight this, throw all that cash into financing HD 2D ports of Dragon Quest I-VI and lock them onto Game Pass. Make Dragon Quest the next Yakuza! If it goes well, try to get the 3DS versions of VII and VIII ported as well as the X Offline version they’re doing. I guess you can do IX as well but it’s honestly kind of lame so just give that money to me instead for the great idea, as well as a job as Xbox JRPG liaison (gonna need an apartment in Tokyo fyi)

1 Like

More chance that microsoft will fund switch ports of the DQ games lol

1 Like

I’ll take an apartment in Kyoto paid for by Nintendo, sure.

1 Like

I Guess Square are very happy that their premier franchise hasn’t grown in 30 years thanks to them kneekapping it at every opportunity, selling the same amount of copies (5 - 10mil) to the same amount of people as back in the 90’s is honestly down right pathetic.

Especially when you look at other franchises that started around the same decade (resi, GTA, DOOM, MK ect.)

As someone who was hoping to see FF7 announced for Xbox, this sucks. However it’s ultimately not too surprising. With the competition heating up, both MS and Sony are going to be doing what they could to secure exclusives and deals. It’s just how this industry works. Hopefully the Series S continues to sell decently in Japan and Xbox in general selling well enough in the rest of the world that Square reconsiders future deals.

Despite the relationship between Square and Sony, MS should still continue trying to do what they could to improve their relationship with companies like Square and I’m sure they’ll do just that.

4 Likes

Tbh I wanna know how important it really is for Xbox to sell in Japan for Japanese games to make strides on the platform. It’s not like Japanese games necessarily sell the most in Japan. Prolly a dated example, but Lost Odyssey was a JRPG through and through (japanese creator, japanese genre and game design, etc) yet amongst the 1 million+ copies it sold, majority of it was in the US/West than in Japan itself. Sure, that makes it so that the Japan situation is not being helped by this alone, but it can act as a compounder and making/bringing on Japanese-led games and creators can signal third parties to take that up better. I really wanna know if MS even has any Japanese ass Japanese games planned through XGP. I can’t even count how many XGP projects have leaked, but I’m a bit upset not a single one of them is from Japan. Kojima is definitely cool if it is indeed happening, but he specifically makes games that are self-admittedly Hollywood inspired. But that’s still valid, no question there. Just that an actual first party Japanese ass Japanese game would be really cool to set some precedents.

1 Like

IMO it has as much to do with mindshare in the Japanese game development community as it does about sales. People in Japan, including devs, aren’t playing on Xboxes, instead they are playing on Playstation, or more likely on the Switch. So on top of sales, there would be less of a drive or consideration to include Xbox when it’s hardly part of the conversation.

Don’t get me wrong, when Phil and company go to Japan, I think their approach on selling Japanese companies on the world wide appeal and potential of Xbox is the right way to go. Them also using GP as a way to sell discoverability is also another smart approach. Still they should also be pushing to increase sales in Japan as well as it will not only add to their overall install base, but also increase the likelihood of Xbox being part of the conversation.

Personally, I think they should buy a Japanese publisher, or open a new wing in Japan, and make that their headquarters for working within that region. They can try to win over Japanese talent, start new studios, fund Xbox exclusive Japanese games, etc. It could help increase mindshare over there and maybe create stronger relationships.

3 Likes

I wonder how well Lost Odyssey would sell if it benefited from current MS policies, including simultaneous Steam release.

1 Like

It happens only if you not fight back, during 360 gen Xbox didn’t suffer that many moneyhats in the whole gen, because they actively bidded against those. It’s really not business as usual.

1 Like