Review | Immortality - 10.0

2 Likes

Best Gamepass gift ever. What an experience. I cannot believe how much this pushes the medium.

4 Likes

The part you think is the end isn’t the end. My jaw was dropped the whole time though; can’t remember the last time I’ve reacted like that to a game.

1 Like

I really hope the devs decide to make some kind of behind the scenes, “making of” type video for this game. Hearing about how this game was made and the thoughts of the devs behind the story would seriously be awesome.

4 Likes

I started it tonight. Didn’t play for too long, but Im hooked already.

4 Likes

I had zero interest in this game, but after reading this excellent spoiler free review, I’m intrigued and downloading immediately.

1 Like

This is f***ing brilliant. I have no idea how much I still need to discover, will continue tomorrow, but wow… It gave me chills. Literal chills. Absolutely amazing!

7 Likes

I was legit having nightmares last night haha - i dunno it really just hit a nerve

6 Likes

I agree with your score, @Doncabesa . What an incredible experience! The craftmanship that has gone into this is amazing, it has been a long time since I got so affected by a game. It’s insanely good.

Just…wow.

5 Likes

1 Like

I’ve just finished it. It gets repetitive past the first hour and a half, so it’s great that it’s a short experience. I thought they could have gone further with the weirdness but it might have been too much. The ending is perfect though. Really effective and straight to the point.

Anyway, I’m not really sure about the 10/10 scores as it’s a game that is in its own category. For that FMV games genre, it’s a perfect score, as it uses everything from the different types of footage to the use of vibrations on the controller. It’s a fantastic artistic experiment and I would recommend it to anyone that love cinema as an art form, but its weirdness and kind of unsettling feeling may be a bit too much for some folks.

It’s a 10/10 experience if you know what you’re going into. If you like weird experimental stuff or David Lynch movies, you’ll love it.

3 Likes

Just finished it last and I can’t recommend this game enough if you’re looking for a great story driven game. I’m going to say that the game isn’t going to be for everyone as it’s more of a visual novel driven game, but if you give it a chance and let it take you, you’re in for one heck of an experience.

I want to say the perfect scores are warranted just for the simple fact that it does something very different and unique in the visual novel field. There’s only one other game that even comes close to doing what this game did and I can’t even say what it is because it would spoil some of the stuff Immortality brings to the table.

Definitely give it a try if you’re at all curious since it’s on gamepass.

3 Likes

I’m still half way through and I was extremely confused, then just one scene and everything clicked just like that. What an amazing experience.

6 Likes

So who can spoil the whole story?

There a huge OT on the Other Place, if that’s your poison, so that’s where most of this comes from, but be warned - if you’ve not played the game, this summar will absolutely ruin it. Not just spoil it - ruin it. Click at your peril.

Summary

I fucking told ya, serious spoilers here.

So there are three films - Abrosio, Minskey and Two of Everything, and each have a meta textual relation to the main story.

So there are actually two stories taking place - the real life mystery of Marissa Marcel, the three movies in which she worked, and why they weren’t released. The idea on the surface is to rewin the films and find out clues as to what happened to her, and in doing so you start to notice that there are black and white frames added into the film sections as you rewind. By isolating these clips, you will uncover the true nature of the events that happened to Marrisa.

In doing so, you discover there are two warring entities - the One and the Other One - who appear through the film. The One is the “good” one, the one that imbues Marria’s personality after finding her - more on that in a sec. The two characters appear across the three films, as different characters, in in a key revelation, as more than one of them.

The nature of these beings is a little hard to pin down, but essentially they are immortal beings, who have guided humanity throughout the ages by taking over the body and minds of people who they come across and use their life forces to act out in the real world, the material world. In doing so, they “kill” the original person, but also take on their lived experiences, meaning that each person is a chain going back into the past.

The One finds Marissa in france in the early 20th century, and takes on her personality. This then leads them to discover the cinematic arts, and decides to, as Marissa, enter the film Ambrosio. This film, about a monk who commits sacrilegious events, is effected by the appearance of The Other One, who complains that this is beneath them, and that they have already told some of the greatest stories that have lasted thousands of years - Adam and Eve, the story of Christ - and the Other One believes that this is all a sham.

In events of Ambrosio leads the director to not finish the film, and runs away with the negatives. Marissa, then auditions for the film Minsky, and becomes obsessed with both the director - who was the Director of Photography on Ambrosio, and also Carl Greenwood. She falls in love with Carl, which makes the Other One jealous, causing her to kill not just Carl, but also the Other One in the shooting scene. In doing so, the film is never finished. The One inhabits the director, John Durick, leaving Marissa behind.

The gap is not fully explained to me, but at some point the One decides to bring Marissa back and inhabits both the director and Marissa, later killing the director. Trying to all this causes the One to die as Marissa, and at the end asks the Other One to burn her body, ending the chain - but in doing so, it’s implied that they achieve true immortality, by…

becoming You, the player.

I am probably missing lots of bits as we go through the game, but that’s a succinct explanation of what i think is going on - there’s loads more to uncover! But yeah, that’s the gist. The Other One inhabits loads of characters throughout, namely Naomi in the final film, which is really interesting. It’s great.

That’s it.

3 Likes

I almost got a heart attack. Thanks, game!

2 Likes

I am not planning to play it anyway. In general there is a handful of games I play during the year. Some old games mainly :joy: But the story looks really fascinating. Maybe I would read it as a book.

Ok so iv put a good few hours into this between watching full scenes from the start of the timeline or just clicking on random items in the hopes it would unlock more scenes and at this point iv unlocked close to 75% of footage for each of the 3 movies

My question is, is there a “correct” way to be playing this? I played Telling Lies as well and while I was enjoying it I ended up getting burned out before I was able to piece everything together because unlocking new clips was a pain in the ass and how disjointed everything was without any order was just a mess

Im aware at this point that there’s clips of some woman you unlock by scrubbing backwards in videos, iv seen about a dozen of those but still don’t know what her deal is yet

Should I just watch the scenes in order at this point? Should I be scrubbing backwards in every clip I watch? Any advice is appreciated :phil_lmao:

1 Like

Great question. I have unlocked a good amount of clips, I’m enjoying what I have watched until now, but always with a feeling that I’m playing “wrong”.

I started playing games the creator has made in the past. Just got it done with Her Story in one sitting. Going to play Telling Lies before this, but I would like to know how the save feature works here. I didn’t get an idea that the game like this has one.

1 Like