Returnal review Thread

The save system I read in the IGN review seems very bad. I am sorry that is very lame because not everybody can rely on rest mode plus putting everything in pause to play one game like sometimes I want to play some multiplayer game to take a break

“It also means you have to clear your schedule when you sit down to play, because there’s no saving your progress at any point in the run. Until you’re done with that run you cannot play any other game, you cannot fully turn the PS5 off (only put it in rest mode, which is risky in of itself), or do anything else that closes the application.”

1 Like

Yeah that’s a total nonstarter for me. But I feel like I would probably love this game if it had checkpoints and I could play it as a typical story-driven TPS experience. Ah well. I’ll be watching the story cutscenes on YouTube.

I dont quite understand rougelikes.

They are like groundhog day or that tom cruise edge of tomorrow?

But in those movies the world stays the same when you wake up in the past. Do doesn’t returnals levels being procedurally generated everytime you spawn kinda defeat the purpose of a rougelike?

Completely expected. Grinding, frustration, brutal checkpoints are brushed off while replay value is praised by the vast majority of the reviewers when in a lot of other games the former are serious “flaws” and replay value is being completely ignored. Can’t wait to read the numerous whining paragraphs on why Lady Dimitrescu is so frustrating (just like this “broken” Marauder mofo) and see how this will affect the final verdicts. popcorn.gif

Also to be clear I don’t have a problem with any of the above (usually for the reviewers) “flaws” but it’s funny to see the goalposts being moved so shamelessly. Also don’t get me started on the difference in the amount of coverage between this and other roguelike games…80 reviews already at the day the embargo lifts while Risk of Rain 2 is still at 18 reviews (even a more casual friendly roguelite game like Hades is at 56 reviews). Well this one is a “AAA” roguelike so it’s different I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that fact… given some of the minor complaints I’ve seen levied against other games, I can’t imagine how, in an objective playing field, this shouldn’t be a pretty glaring issue worthy of rating-effecting criticism. Even if I had a PS5, I wouldn’t be buying this at $70 but maybe not at all with a system like that; I understand some people are single-game types, but I rotate among at least six games a day it feels like (my ever-increasing backlog gives me anxiety).

And I say that as a “light” fan of roguelikes, hell I’ve been on a weeklong kick with RAD again… but that game lets me save between levels at least.

4 Likes

Edit

1 Like

Good for the developer and those excited to play at launch. I am just glad that Game Pass has pushed Sony to put some games on PS+ because I fully expect that a niche game like this will end up on there for me to try out within the next 12 months which is fine given everything that I have to play in the meantime :slight_smile:

Please do not start creating conspiracy theories about why specific games have good reviews scores, thank you.

5 Likes

Still buying it because I want some new stuff to play, but it’s very lame to have a non existent save system. Hopefully they patch it up because doesn’t seem like a logical thing for most people since many will want to take breaks and play other games. Plus, I’ve had experience on PS5 where game in rest mode gets kicked out due to update or software update

2 Likes

I was not doing that.

To be honest I don’t recall playing a single roguelike that you can’t just stop playing and pick up from where you left.

Forcing you to lose progress and start over by simply closing the game is insane.

(And specially funny that this aspect is being praised or not shoving any points when Recore for example was absolutely destroyed because it forced you to complete the optional dungeons, as it was “a clear poor attempt of increasing the game’s length”

3 Likes

It seems pretty similar to the crappy mechanics of Souls game that for some reason people like so much and reviewers over look, crappy checkpoints, respawning enemies, forced backtracking

It’s all is pretty cheap and pointless to me and makes me just not want to play games that are out of the box designed to be frustrating and have made horrible QOL design decisions.

Yikes, that’s a surefire way to kill any interest I have in any game. I got shit to do, meet me halfway, game!

I’ll add onto the chorus of “would have been great on game pass” and humbly suggest “would have been great with quick resume”

1 Like

Higher than I predicted but it’s Housemarque and they make great games on a consistent basis so im not all that surprised. In what has been a dead 2021 thus far, this is easily and by far the biggest and best game to be released since Hitman III and until next week with Resident Evil VIII: Village.

Game isn’t for me but im happy that it reviewed well and hoping that it gets the sales that Sony is expecting/hoping for as Housemarque is a great development studio and I would like to see Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) acquire them at some point.

Yea how can something like this just get bypassed by reviewers? Game cannot be SAVED at all 10/10

Am I understanding this correctly that there is no ability to save at all?

So if you get some cool weapons you loose them all when you die or close the game?

I always find it strange how people can agree/disagree with a review for a game they haven’t played. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

The roguelike genre means you lose your progress if you die, but some of them give you perma buffs to make playtrhoughs easier. The main issue with Returnal is there doesn’t seem to be a way to save progress, and you can’t pick up where you left off if you change games

“But Quick Resume is just a gimmick and not needed with faster SSD” … /snark

Game movement and gun fire had my interest but the lack of progress points is crushing.

1 Like

I don’t know who these “people” are (you could be more clear and directly quote) and if you are talking about me but I wasn’t disagreeing with anything just stating the change in tune in regards to some aspects of Returnal, aspects that are quite often “issues” in a lot of other games. Apparently here they aren’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like